Free agent rumor(s)

34 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Traded for and then cut. Man what a waste. I thought we could take a chance before but not now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31099853/miami-dolphins-waive-newly-acquired-ot-isaiah-wilson

I'd still take a chance. Cost peanuts. Fuck it. Long and LDT both free agents after this year. Kid couldn't be absolutely dominant at RG. Rare athlete for his size.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

You'd have to reeeaaaaaaaally believe our culture is going to be the thing to finally make a difference, and even though I think our culture is good I don't know if it's THAT good.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

No thank you

Yeah it'll never happen. But I'm pretty desperate to see line upgrades and moves for the future. I'd have taken Richie Incognito before they signed Thuney. 

I mean he's had a DUI. He seems to be immature. Maybe he doesn't love football. But there's nothing there that Reid hasn't taken a chance on before. He took a chance on Vick after a prison sentence. 

People have issues. We had a player kill himself outside the stadium a couple years ago, after killing his child's mother. We have a player now who was investigated for child abuse. Reids son just drove into a parked car last month and left a child in a coma.

People make mistakes. It doesn't mean they should have every door slammed in their face the rest of their lives. Sign him. If he's a goon, release him. I think Reid is better equipped to handle this type of player than nearly any coach in the league. 

29 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah it'll never happen. But I'm pretty desperate to see line upgrades and moves for the future. I'd have taken Richie Incognito before they signed Thuney. 

I mean he's had a DUI. He seems to be immature. Maybe he doesn't love football. But there's nothing there that Reid hasn't taken a chance on before. He took a chance on Vick after a prison sentence. 

People have issues. We had a player kill himself outside the stadium a couple years ago, after killing his child's mother. We have a player now who was investigated for child abuse. Reids son just drove into a parked car last month and left a child in a coma.

People make mistakes. It doesn't mean they should have every door slammed in their face the rest of their lives. Sign him. If he's a goon, release him. I think Reid is better equipped to handle this type of player than nearly any coach in the league. 

All this is true but most of those guys wanted to play and wanted to do right.   This guy is in self destruct mode.....the Josh Gordon of lineman imo.  Pass.

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

All this is true but most of those guys wanted to play and wanted to do right.   This guy is in self destruct mode.....the Josh Gordon of lineman imo.  Pass.

Yep. I live in the Nashville area so I'm forcefed all the Titans talk on sports radio. If there ever was a guy who *just doesn't get it".. .it's this guy. Pass!

On 3/19/2021 at 7:43 PM, Holmes4six! said:

I personally don’t like okung. Injury prone. 
I’d rather have Villanova. 
too bad we missed out on reiff. 
What do we have on the roster now? 
long, thuny, remmers , niang, Durant , LDT

reiter and Wiley? Are they good. Not that I like it but it is what it is. 
is osemele around? 
any good blocking TE out there that can help? I see we brought back Bell. 

Prior to 2019 Villanueva was rated as a Top 15 tackle by PFF. Not that PFF is the ultimate evaluator. He graded higher as a pass blocker.

Scouring the internet I saw nothing that tied Villanueva to the Chiefs. I saw back to the Steelers and possibly the Colts.

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

Prior to 2019 Villanueva was rated as a Top 15 tackle by PFF. Not that PFF is the ultimate evaluator. He graded higher as a pass blocker.

Scouring the internet I saw nothing that tied Villanueva to the Chiefs. I saw back to the Steelers and possibly the Colts.

Same. I honestly don't know what Veach is doing. I trust him, but not having an adequate starting LT in the fold is bizarre. I mean Rankin would be out starting LT right now, would he not? They don't even trust him enough to play guard in games that matter.  

Just a weird off season. Cleared all that space and missed on Williams, then it pretty much went silent. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Same. I honestly don't know what Veach is doing. I trust him, but not having an adequate starting LT in the fold is bizarre. I mean Rankin would be out starting LT right now, would he not? They don't even trust him enough to play guard in games that matter.  

Just a weird off season. Cleared all that space and missed on Williams, then it pretty much went silent. 

I trust him, also.  There is no way that he will risk running a line out there like we did in LV.

Fish or Schwartz or both have to still be in the plan, I guess?

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

I trust him, also.  There is no way that he will risk running a line out there like we did in LV.

Fish or Schwartz or both have to still be in the plan, I guess?

I dont know. I just dont know how they could be moving forward with these as plans on the back burner. Injured players. 

I listened to a podcast yesterday that included Nate Taylor which is basically the Chiefs insider with the most sources inside the organization now that Terez is gone (RIP).

Basically, he said the Chiefs had a second round grade on Niang and they drafted the dude to be their starting RT of the future. Said he wouldn't be surprised if either he or Remmers start week 1, but the Chiefs LOVE Niang and he will have every opportunity to win this job day 1. And that people are forgetting just how good this dude was at TCU and how high his ceiling is. 

He also said that the Chiefs were close enough to signing Williams that there were people in the building "doing backflips" and that he had even told his editor that he thought they were gonna be up really late writing an article for The Athletic, about our new LT.

I say all that to say, these don't sound like the moves or thinking of a FO that is making plans around Schwartz or Fisher.

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont know. I just dont know how they could be moving forward with these as plans on the back burner. Injured players. 

I listened to a podcast yesterday that included Nate Taylor which is basically the Chiefs insider with the most sources inside the organization now that Terez is gone (RIP).

Basically, he said the Chiefs had a second round grade on Niang and they drafted the dude to be their starting RT of the future. Said he wouldn't be surprised if either he or Remmers start week 1, but the Chiefs LOVE Niang and he will have every opportunity to win this job day 1. And that people are forgetting just how good this dude was at TCU and how high his ceiling is. 

He also said that the Chiefs were close enough to signing Williams that there were people in the building "doing backflips" and that he had even told his editor that he thought they were gonna be up really late writing an article for The Athletic, about our new LT.

I say all that to say, these don't sound like the moves or thinking of a FO that is making plans around Schwartz or Fisher.

I think people forget that these guys have family and if their families are in a good place and the money is close its not worth uprooting especially during a pandemic year where people and family become that much more important.   I don't blame Veach because I never thought they would make a hard run at a 33 year old LT.   If Veach upgrades every other position on the line and he really only needs an upgrade a center to do that then we can get by with an avg LT for a year.   Mahomes can handle one dude in his face especially if he knows where its coming from and Thuney on that side helps tremendously.    Waiting till the draft can be risky but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't shift gears and bargian shot to upgrade a lot of positions and add depth then move up for the tackle they want in FA and let that guy battle for LT reps.   I think Niang is gonna surprise some people like luv was mentioning.   

I also agree Schwartz and Fisher aren't in their plans....I am glad for that.   Love those guys but it was time to cut ties.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don’t think they were Plan A, but probably a contingency plan.  

I hope Niang is what they think. 

50 minutes ago, West said:

Something going on with Schwartz....He gets released and then leads a Instagram Pep Rally for KC?

Sounds like a guy that is part of a longer term plan to me...

w

Yep, lives in KC and still pro-Chiefs. I'm fairly sure his release was a mutual decision. I think he was just a cap casualty whose health will be closely monitored by the front office and could return if he gets back to 100%.

51 minutes ago, West said:

Something going on with Schwartz....He gets released and then leads a Instagram Pep Rally for KC?

Sounds like a guy that is part of a longer term plan to me...

w

Our a guy that was grateful to the franchise.  And wants to see them succeed

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Our a guy that was grateful to the franchise.  And wants to see them succeed

Agreed. I wish people would let this go. Proceed as if Fisher and Schwartz aren't options going forward. Be pleasantly surprised if they do, but don't plan on it. This had to happen eventually. Both had to be replaced with younger, cheaper options. 

On Schwartz and Fisher:

My read on the Schwartz situation is that there is no guarantee he ever plays again.  Bad backs and OL-sized humans are a bad mix.  Both parties recognize the business decision that had to be made for 2021.  Mutual respect between player and city / organization.  If he somehow makes it back to playing shape, maybe KC will be in the mix, but can't count on it.

I think Fisher is in a similar situation.  Despite what Veach had said, the achilles basically dooms his 2021.  The best case scenario is that he would be back late in the year but wouldn't be 100% until 2022.  Not sure if the level of respect between player and organization is quite the same, but it's probably good.  Again, maybe he would consider coming back to KC but no guarantees and it's not what they're counting on.

On Veach's Job and "The Plan":

I like some moves and not others.  The team does not seem to treat value the same way I would --- trading up for picks, 1st round RB, big contract for OG, etc.  So that's frustrating to me.  But overall I think he's done an average job, give or take, if you don't count Mahomes, and so obviously Mahomes included adds up to a great job.

I'm mostly encouraged that he's obviously addressing the OL even if he's had some misses.  Hard to blame him for aggressively pursuing Williams only to lose out when Williams wanted to get every last dollar and stay where he was.  Honestly I would have been a little worried if we'd landed a 33-year-old player with health issues for huge money.  I know we're all wanting to see Plan B but maybe their evaluation of Reiff or whoever else just isn't that high.  I would love to see a competent, cheapish vet brought in for LT even if it's just for competition.  Remember last year we snagged Osemele pretty late, and that would have been great if he had managed to stay healthy.  I'm confident we'll do something to address LT, I'm just not sure what.

On the OL in General:

Agree with the comments on Niang --- hard to count on him without having taken an NFL snap, but we have to remember the upside.  I think the upside is actually super high.  We can't assume he'll step in and be great, but considering his physical tools and why he dropped in the draft, I honestly think there's more of a chance of that happening than any draft pick from this year being a solid contributor.

If there's anything I question is why we've got so many guards and where we're going to play these guys.  Also, are we absolutely sure Niang can't be LT?

LT - Niang

LG - Thuney

C - Reiter / Allegretti

RG  - Long / LDT

RT - Remmers / Long

People forget Remmers was capable at RT, the disaster he was at LT in the Super Bowl doesn't really change that.  If there is any chance Niang can play the left side then why not this?  Maybe Osemele comes back, maybe we can get a draft pick in the mix.  It's not perfect, but it doesn't seem like a disaster to me.

Chiefs are hosting a visit for free agent CB K’Waun Williams.

The Jets were previously to be reported to be interested in Williams as well. Williams was plagued by injuries in 2020 but still showed off some of his play-making abilities when healthy. He logged two sacks and a forced fumble to go along with his four pass defenses in eight games played. The 49ers never made him a full-time player in his four-year tenure with the team but he did peak at two interceptions in 2019. His role was primarily as a slot corner in San Francisco. A high-end role player, Williams would be a great fit for a contending team like the Chiefs if his services can be had for a reasonable price. 

as much as i would of liked to see williams in kc.. 

that deal does not make sense, we could of done it, but we should not of.. 

he is a great tackle.. yes.. 

but that kind of money, in a tackle in his mid thirties.. nah.. san fran kinda had to pay him a fortune, to get him to stay though.. so we actually must of been really close to 

getting it done. 

as far as the tackle situation. 

thuney can play lt.. 

long can play tackle as well. 

not ideal.. but Niang was brought in to replace Schwarz...

and he definately showed up at tcu. and he looks the RT part. 

now we gotta find someone that looks the lt part.. in order to keep a couple of all pro gaurds playing gaurd. 

not as worried about center, with those two manning both sides.. Of course that is if long can still play. 

rumors are he is 315 and lean. so sounds better than turley all ready.

I guess the "ideal" line at this point is:

Long --- Thuney --- Allegretti --- LDT --- Niang

I don't think Allegretti is any good, otherwise they wouldn't consider bringing back Reiter but he seems to be the only guy on the roster who's not set at a non-OC position. I think we could and should upgrade LT and OC in the short term, Long may end up replacing LDT but we'll see about that. Would love to get Mack for the contract he got but I'm leaning towards a draft pick in 2nd to be our long term starter and we do have some nice history of OCs there. 1st is obviously still LT as we need someone to play in 2022 but may actually need that guy to start at some point in 2021. I also think Remmers will be starting at RT with the contract he got but there seems to be a lot of hope for Niang there so I wrote him down but could end up being a backup or start somewhere else on the line.  

Villanueva seems like the best FA option for us but don't know how much he would want. If healthy bringing back Schwartz and/or Fisher may be the best way to go and I'm guessing both would need to prove their health for a new deal in 2022 so could make sense to come back to a system where they are already comfortable. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I guess the "ideal" line at this point is:

Long --- Thuney --- Allegretti --- LDT --- Niang

I don't think Allegretti is any good, otherwise they wouldn't consider bringing back Reiter but he seems to be the only guy on the roster who's not set at a non-OC position. I think we could and should upgrade LT and OC in the short term, Long may end up replacing LDT but we'll see about that. Would love to get Mack for the contract he got but I'm leaning towards a draft pick in 2nd to be our long term starter and we do have some nice history of OCs there. 1st is obviously still LT as we need someone to play in 2022 but may actually need that guy to start at some point in 2021. I also think Remmers will be starting at RT with the contract he got but there seems to be a lot of hope for Niang there so I wrote him down but could end up being a backup or start somewhere else on the line.  

Villanueva seems like the best FA option for us but don't know how much he would want. If healthy bringing back Schwartz and/or Fisher may be the best way to go and I'm guessing both would need to prove their health for a new deal in 2022 so could make sense to come back to a system where they are already comfortable. 

Long is not playing LT. He will compete with LDT at RG. The Chiefs have already made it clear that they see him as a guard. 

Why would you give Thuney 80 million and not try him at LT when he plays on the left side of the line already? But they gave Long an incentive based 1 yr deal that maxes at 5 mill and they are gonna flip him over to a LT when he has been a RG his whole career, save 1 season at RT? 

Allegretti played solid football and this narrative that he can't play center because he couldn't beat out Reiter or because they are interested in bringing Reiter back makes no sense.

Veach is trying to create competition at every position instead of handing guys jobs and penciling them in without beating someone else out for the right to play. He's done that at RT with Niang and Remmers and RG with LDT and Long. Makes sense to do that at C with Reiter and Allegretti. 

One is a better athlete with mobility and athleticism, but terrible play strength. He gets walked back into Pats lap constantly and couldn't move a child in the run game. One is a nasty run blocker with limitations on mobility and athleticism, who can struggle quite a bit in pass pro when facing good interior pass rushers.