Free agent rumor(s)

47 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We might already have our NB on the roster so definitely not worth giving up a lot of money but obviously Spags and co. know better. Ingram would be a higher priority IMO. 

I don't think we do.  Sneed is more valuable on the outside IMO, and he's the only one I think could be great at nickel.  Felton is better outside than inside.  HB can do it well but he's more effective if you free him up to roam.  

Personally I think NB is a need.

57 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't think we do.  Sneed is more valuable on the outside IMO, and he's the only one I think could be great at nickel.  Felton is better outside than inside.  HB can do it well but he's more effective if you free him up to roam.  

Personally I think NB is a need.

I liked Fenton better outside but not sure if the staff is thinking of him as an outside guy. Would love it if he ends up manning one side with Sneed handling the other with NB being our only CB need in terms of starters. Would be nice to find another Fuller type.

35 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I liked Fenton better outside but not sure if the staff is thinking of him as an outside guy. Would love it if he ends up manning one side with Sneed handling the other with NB being our only CB need in terms of starters. Would be nice to find another Fuller type.

Ward and Sneed will be the outside corners.  Watch out for Alex Brown as a dark horse to get playing time at nickel.

11 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Ward and Sneed will be the outside corners.  Watch out for Alex Brown as a dark horse to get playing time at nickel.

There sure is a lot of young talent but I wouldn't be surprised if Ward loses some playing time this year. If he bounces back to his 2019 form he'll be gold but I think 2020 was a better indication of his capabilities. Still he's a young player who can get better. 

34 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Ward should be a backup.  He can play outside, but the Chiefs need to find a better option.  Maybe Baker, maybe a draft pick. 

Do we want Ingram?  If he's healthy, he probably has a little left in the tank and along with Taco could eliminate the need to go DE early in the draft, but playing only seven games last season is a huge concern  Any word on why his KC visit was delayed? 

Players are using KC to bump their price in this limited market.   If I was Veach I would call SF and tell them you offer them what you want, because the moment he walked out our door we rescinded the deal.    Trent did the same thing and so did Juju Smith Shuster.    

Again not that I will miss any sleep over K'Waun Williams but I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of players regretting not coming over here when their teams suck and we are knocking on our third straight SB in a rebuilding year.   

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Do we want Ingram?  If he's healthy, he probably has a little left in the tank and along with Taco could eliminate the need to go DE early in the draft, but playing only seven games last season is a huge concern  Any word on why his KC visit was delayed? 

Is it delayed?  I only ever saw it was happening sometime this week.

Chiefs Wire

The Kansas City Chiefs have a second visitor leaving the building without a contract.

Former Los Angeles Chargers edge rusher Melvin Ingram was in Kansas City for a visit on Wednesday. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, that visit has now concluded and without any deal. That report was later confirmed by Kansas City Star beat writer Herbie Teope.

The two sides were unable to come to terms on a contract yet per Rapoport, but there seems to be some hope that they could still later agree on a deal. It does appear as if Ingram wants to continue to explore his options, though.

This is now the second free agent that the Chiefs have brought in for a visit this week. K’Waun Williams was in Kansas City on Tuesday and left without a deal, re-signing with the San Francisco 49ers shortly after.

I wonder if we are bringing guys in to send a message of any kind to our Roster so they don't get complacent or are the guys that are coming in expecting to get higher paydays vice really wanting to try for a Ring?   I am not upset about any of this so far, glad we did not pay for Williams and i still have no idea who the CB that came to visit is. was or ever will be. Pretty sure Ingram wants a payday and two shots at the chargers, we can do better

37 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Chiefs Wire

The Kansas City Chiefs have a second visitor leaving the building without a contract.

Former Los Angeles Chargers edge rusher Melvin Ingram was in Kansas City for a visit on Wednesday. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, that visit has now concluded and without any deal. That report was later confirmed by Kansas City Star beat writer Herbie Teope.

The two sides were unable to come to terms on a contract yet per Rapoport, but there seems to be some hope that they could still later agree on a deal. It does appear as if Ingram wants to continue to explore his options, though.

This is now the second free agent that the Chiefs have brought in for a visit this week. K’Waun Williams was in Kansas City on Tuesday and left without a deal, re-signing with the San Francisco 49ers shortly after.

What the fuck is happening?

11 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What the fuck is happening?

Obviously, we don't know but here's a guess.  Most of the FAs at this time have age or injury issues.  The Chiefs probably want to give low guarantees with incentives if the players can remain healthy.  The players have an overinflated idea of their worth and don't take injury time off as seriously.  So no deal until someone takes a chance and offers more.  A lot of these players burn through money like drunken sailors and will jump at the highest guarantee.  We probably overvalue them wanting to play for a ring.  They want cash and their agents couldn't care less about a ring.  

Still too early in free agency for some of these guys to settle for the 1 year contracts we probably want to offer.  If a guy thinks he might still get the multi year contract they want to explore options.  As the dust settles you'll see more guys signing as they realize they might get left without a seat at the table.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Still too early in free agency for some of these guys to settle for the 1 year contracts we probably want to offer.  If a guy thinks he might still get the multi year contract they want to explore options.  As the dust settles you'll see more guys signing as they realize they might get left without a seat at the table.

Have you looked at the remaining crop of FA?? Most of them have found seats.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/24/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-free-agency-salary-cap-update-21-million/

The Kansas City Chiefs have quite a bit of salary cap space available, but they’ve yet to figure out how they want to spend it.

According to the NFLPA’s public salary cap report, the Chiefs currently have $21.6 million in salary cap space available and are listed with 64 players under contract. There are a few players that don’t seem to be in their system yet, such as recently re-signed players Mike Remmers, Taco Charlton, Nick Keizer and Daniel Sorensen. So this number is probably actually somewhere under $20 million right now, but it’s still plenty when it comes to adding more impact players.

Kansas City restructured a number of contracts, including Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Chris Jones in order to free up cap space and be competitive in free agency. The problem is that they just haven’t been able to close with several of their free agent targets and they’re running out of options that can truly help this team improve.

The team reportedly came very close to signing left tackle Trent Williams, but it’s now clear that he used the Chiefs for leverage all along. They’ve been actively searching for help at the receiver position, but missed out on several key free agents they’d been talking with such as JuJu Smith-Schuster and Josh Reynolds. They’ve recently brought a pair of players in for visits with K’Waun Williams and Melvin Ingram, but with recent injuries to both there is no guarantee that either player ends up in Kansas City. With big needs at left tackle, the team has reportedly had some exploratory talks, checking in with veteran left tackle Russell Okung.

So far, the Chiefs have only been able to land one big fish, signing former New England Patriots guard Joe Thuney to a five-year deal. They also snagged a great low-risk, high-reward option in Kyle Long and brought back Blake Bell after he spent a year in Dallas. Outside of those three moves everything the Brett Veach has done has been about retaining minor role players.

This free agency period has been uneventful and a bit disappointing for fans, but Veach seems to be taking the cautious approach to free agency. Maybe it’ll pay off and a player becomes available later in the process that the team has the money to sign. Perhaps they’ll use the cap space to acquire a player in trade during or around the draft. They could also end up rolling over a significant portion of the money freed to the 2022 NFL season. There’s still a lot of different ways that this can free agency period can play out and be deemed a success, despite the early frustrations.

Obviously Hudson would have been the biggest pick up in FA if available but among the names that actually became FAs and Chiefs shown interest I think JuJu is the only player I would prefer to have in KC. The rest are good players as well but JuJu paired with Hill and Kelce in the middle would fix the receiving game for a while and would give us the flexibility to go for a TE in the draft.