Free agent rumor(s)

This tackle draft class is shaping up like our off-season.  Started off lit and then fizzled hardcore.   Most of this draft class has Trex arms and don’t make the 33” threshold many believe a tackle needs to have.  Meaning the chances a good tackle falls into our lap at 31 is shrinking fast.  

58 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

This tackle draft class is shaping up like our off-season.  Started off lit and then fizzled hardcore.   Most of this draft class has Trex arms and don’t make the 33” threshold many believe a tackle needs to have.  Meaning the chances a good tackle falls into our lap at 31 is shrinking fast.  

What's shrinking?  Do you mean these guys all had arms getting shorter in the past few months?  Most analysts seem to think this is a loaded OT class and there's about ten that the Chiefs could take and project as starters.  Most may not be ready on day one, but there's plenty to choose from even at #31 in the worst case scenario.  Many have most of their experience at RT in college and transitioning to LT might not be easy but with a stop gap, the Chiefs should find one they trust to have that ability.  This is a banner year to need an OT. 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Leatherwood

Cosmi

Little

Eichenberg 

Will all be available at 31. Maybe not Cosmi? 

All can be day 1 starters too.

26 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Leatherwood

Cosmi

Little

Eichenberg 

Will all be available at 31. Maybe not Cosmi? 

All can be day 1 starters too.

Cosmi is starting to stand out to me as the best fit among guys who could possibly be there at 31. Him and Radunz. I dont think the board has changed much at all with regard to what might be there at 31 at all. Haven't read anything to that affect either.

Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw will be gone. Vera Tucker, Mayfield and Jenkins may or may not be there. Just about everyone else should be in play. Cosmi, Radunz, Little, Eichenberg, Brown, Hudson, Leatherwood, Christenson, Carman...This class is stupid deep.

If we are talking about guys who would be ready to play LT year 1, we were never gonna have a ton of choices at 31 anyway. But the class isn't shrinking by any means. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Cosmi is starting to stand out to me as the best fit among guys who could possibly be there at 31. Him and Radunz. I dont think the board has changed much at all with regard to what might be there at 31 at all. Haven't read anything to that affect either.

Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw will be gone. Vera Tucker, Mayfield and Jenkins may or may not be there. Just about everyone else should be in play. Cosmi, Radunz, Little, Eichenberg, Brown, Hudson, Leatherwood, Christenson, Carman...This class is stupid deep.

If we are talking about guys who would be ready to play LT year 1, we were never gonna have a ton of choices at 31 anyway. But the class isn't shrinking by any means. 

Slater, Tucker, Mayfield (Testing was down right horrid for a guy supposedly athletic), Christenson, and Carman have under 33" arms.

Again its not the end all be all of Left tackles but when all a huge majority of good/great LT's have over 33" arms it matters.  

Leatherwood isn't an elite tackle prospect.   Little hasn't played in a long time and Radunz is super raw.   

Cosmi might be the highest upside which means others teams might snag him because of the issues I mentioned earlier.  

There will be tons of choices at 31 no doubt but we need an above avg starter there not a guy we eventually have to slide into guard.  To be honest I think Niang is just as talented as any of the second tier OT's after those first three guys which is somewhat comforting.

23 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Slater, Tucker, Mayfield (Testing was down right horrid for a guy supposedly athletic), Christenson, and Carman have under 33" arms.

Again its not the end all be all of Left tackles but when all a huge majority of good/great LT's have over 33" arms it matters.  

Leatherwood isn't an elite tackle prospect.   Little hasn't played in a long time and Radunz is super raw.   

Cosmi might be the highest upside which means others teams might snag him because of the issues I mentioned earlier.  

There will be tons of choices at 31 no doubt but we need an above avg starter there not a guy we eventually have to slide into guard.  To be honest I think Niang is just as talented as any of the second tier OT's after those first three guys which is somewhat comforting.

So let’s bring Schwartz back and let Niang and Prince battle for LT next to Thuney.  Then take BPA at 31

5 hours ago, Balto said:

So let’s bring Schwartz back and let Niang and Prince battle for LT next to Thuney.  Then take BPA at 31

Prince could be part of the reason that the Chiefs don't seem as alarmed as fans think they should. But he has short arms. So Lamar won't like that. 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Again, if you are looking at it from a standpoint of the player needing to step in and start immediately, you were going to be disappointed with what's available at pick 31 anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Can someone explain to me again why Niang isn't a possibility at LT?  I know people thought he was drafted to replace Mitch but switching sides seems a lot more reasonable than moving Thuney to LT or C or moving Long to C.

Thuney played C in an NFL game last year, and played well. Niang hasn't played LT since...what?...high school? Why does that seem the more reasonable option?

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Thuney played C in an NFL game last year, and played well. Niang hasn't played LT since...what?...high school? Why does that seem the more reasonable option?

Because plenty of guys switch sides, but we just paid Thuney top dollar and now we're going to ask him to play at a completely different position where he'll have to develop chemistry with Patrick?

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Because plenty of guys switch sides, but we just paid Thuney top dollar and now we're going to ask him to play at a completely different position where he'll have to develop chemistry with Patrick?

I dont think they are gonna ask Thuney to move at all. Or Long. I just think a 1st or second round pick on a LT who played LT in college makes more sense than Niang switching over. And it's a good year to need a LT.

I don't think the team is going to ask Thuney to move either, it's just what some people here have suggested.

If Niang could switch --- like people said Schwartz could have --- it would solve a lot of problems.  But I understand it may not be the best idea.

10 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I don't think the team is going to ask Thuney to move either, it's just what some people here have suggested.

If Niang could switch --- like people said Schwartz could have --- it would solve a lot of problems.  But I understand it may not be the best idea.

I think that Schwartz switching is the same dumb logic as moving Thuney. All pro RT. Let him play RT. All pro LG. Let him play LG. 

People have to overthink everything. Plus it's exactly like you said. How often is a player of his caliber released and then brought back at a minimal price?

If the Chiefs were planning on doing that to change his cap number, they would have simply found another way to do that and keep him on the roster. Same with Fisher. 

This Fisher/Schwartz shit is getting old fast. People need to live in the now. These aren't the only 2 guys that can play tackle at a high level for this team. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Prince could be part of the reason that the Chiefs don't seem as alarmed as fans think they should. But he has short arms. So Lamar won't like that. 🤣🤣

Prince did have 33"+ and so he meets the requirement.  I read an article the other day that the coaches were excited about him and thought he liked really good in practices

I read an article that said Thuney really helped the tackles next to him which bodes well with us if we end up with a rookie out there.  

Id temper Prince hope, because we were going to offer 33 year old Trent Williams over 20 million a year for 3 years. And we’ve been linked to Okung.   They might like him as a developmental prospect which seems more likely. 

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I read an article that said Thuney really helped the tackles next to him which bodes well with us if we end up with a rookie out there.  

Id temper Prince hope, because we were going to offer 33 year old Trent Williams over 20 million a year for 3 years. And we’ve been linked to Okung.   They might like him as a developmental prospect which seems more likely. 

Who needs to temper? Nobody is saying he is the guy.  Just maybe he is a guy that is causing them not to sign okung right now.  Williams is a different animal.  That was an attempt to get the best LT in the game right now. 

Would the jets try to sign Mahomes right now if he was a free agent? 

17 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think that Schwartz switching is the same dumb logic as moving Thuney. All pro RT. Let him play RT. All pro LG. Let him play LG. 

People have to overthink everything. Plus it's exactly like you said. How often is a player of his caliber released and then brought back at a minimal price?

If the Chiefs were planning on doing that to change his cap number, they would have simply found another way to do that and keep him on the roster. Same with Fisher. 

This Fisher/Schwartz shit is getting old fast. People need to live in the now. These aren't the only 2 guys that can play tackle at a high level for this team. 

I see your logic BUT maybe think of it differently?  Yes Schwartz WAS a All-Pro RT but is he still with his back issues?

What if Veach doesn’t trade up and we are sitting at #31 and all the day 1 starting LTs they have on their list of prospects have been drafted?

What if KC sees Niang as only a RT and Niang being out RT of the future is exactly what they are planning on rolling with?

With losing out on Williams and now sitting at #31 with no day 1 starters why shouldn’t Veach look at Schwartz for our stop gap LT vs say Okung or Villanueva?  Schwartz if healthy was an all-pro at RT so playing LT for a year or until the not day 1 ready starter tackle we take at #31 is ready.

Why put Schwartz back at RT and further limit Niangs experience?  Treat Schwartz as the best stop gap tackle available and move on.