Free agent rumor(s)

1 hour ago, Balto said:

I see your logic BUT maybe think of it differently?  Yes Schwartz WAS a All-Pro RT but is he still with his back issues?

What if Veach doesn’t trade up and we are sitting at #31 and all the day 1 starting LTs they have on their list of prospects have been drafted?

What if KC sees Niang as only a RT and Niang being out RT of the future is exactly what they are planning on rolling with?

With losing out on Williams and now sitting at #31 with no day 1 starters why shouldn’t Veach look at Schwartz for our stop gap LT vs say Okung or Villanueva?  Schwartz if healthy was an all-pro at RT so playing LT for a year or until the not day 1 ready starter tackle we take at #31 is ready.

Why put Schwartz back at RT and further limit Niangs experience?  Treat Schwartz as the best stop gap tackle available and move on.

I’d rather have Okung and his issues than Schwartz and that back.  

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I’d rather have Okung and his issues than Schwartz and that back.  

If healthy Schwartz still has quite a bit of solid years in him, definitely the better OT. However Okung at LT might be very useful in the short term. To be honest I wouldn't mind both assuming Schwartz is healthy.

4 hours ago, Balto said:

I see your logic BUT maybe think of it differently?  Yes Schwartz WAS a All-Pro RT but is he still with his back issues?

What if Veach doesn’t trade up and we are sitting at #31 and all the day 1 starting LTs they have on their list of prospects have been drafted?

What if KC sees Niang as only a RT and Niang being out RT of the future is exactly what they are planning on rolling with?

With losing out on Williams and now sitting at #31 with no day 1 starters why shouldn’t Veach look at Schwartz for our stop gap LT vs say Okung or Villanueva?  Schwartz if healthy was an all-pro at RT so playing LT for a year or until the not day 1 ready starter tackle we take at #31 is ready.

Why put Schwartz back at RT and further limit Niangs experience?  Treat Schwartz as the best stop gap tackle available and move on.

The whole idea behind a stopgap is getting a known commodity, isn't it? We know if healthy Okung is an above average LT. Do we know that about Schwartz? 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

If healthy Schwartz still has quite a bit of solid years in him, definitely the better OT. However Okung at LT might be very useful in the short term. To be honest I wouldn't mind both assuming Schwartz is healthy.

If healthy I could go for that.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Chiefs have "checked in on" free agent OT Russell Okung.

It's the first known interest in Okung, who has yet to take a free agent visit. Okung was limited to seven games with a calf injury last year, but he played effectively when healthy, allowing just 13 pressures on 260 pass-blocking snaps. The 32-year-old seems likely to settle for another one-year deal this offseason

The logic here doesn't make sense. Schwartz is a career RT, he's not going to sign a contract to come back and play LT. Thuney is a LG who can play C if needed.  If the guy wanted to play LT or is expected to play LT his agent would have gotten even more money out of the deal.  I'd rather keep a player where they are elite at than move them where they can be serviceable because it sounds like a neat idea. 

21 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

The logic here doesn't make sense. Schwartz is a career RT, he's not going to sign a contract to come back and play LT. Thuney is a LG who can play C if needed.  If the guy wanted to play LT or is expected to play LT his agent would have gotten even more money out of the deal.  I'd rather keep a player where they are elite at than move them where they can be serviceable because it sounds like a neat idea. 

💯💯💯💯💯 Amen, my brotha!

Just draft a guy at 31 to start day 1. There will be one there

Jenkins,  Cosmi,  Leatherwood,  or Eichenberg Will be there.  All 4 can start day one. 

Why sign an older on the downside of his career often injured guy to take reps from a guy that can learn and grow from the start? I understand getting okung gives some of you the warm and fuzzies because he is a vet. But the chances of him getting hurt and the rookie playing anyway is very high.  So why not get a young guy and work him from day one to be ready.  

All 4 of these guys have played major college football at a high level.  Are multiple year starters.  And have good coaching over the years.  Your going to have Thuney next to you who is a great help blocker.  

I know a lot here will question Eichenberg, I did also for a while but this dude can play.  Watch his game against Alabama.  He has to block physical bull rushers and speed linebacker/ edge guys too. And he definitely looked really good. 

25 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Just draft a guy at 31 to start day 1. There will be one there

Jenkins,  Cosmi,  Leatherwood,  or Eichenberg Will be there.  All 4 can start day one. 

Why sign an older on the downside of his career often injured guy to take reps from a guy that can learn and grow from the start? I understand getting okung gives some of you the warm and fuzzies because he is a vet. But the chances of him getting hurt and the rookie playing anyway is very high.  So why not get a young guy and work him from day one to be ready.  

All 4 of these guys have played major college football at a high level.  Are multiple year starters.  And have good coaching over the years.  Your going to have Thuney next to you who is a great help blocker.  

I know a lot here will question Eichenberg, I did also for a while but this dude can play.  Watch his game against Alabama.  He has to block physical bull rushers and speed linebacker/ edge guys too. And he definitely looked really good. 

It's just a matter of knowing Reid doesn't trust young players. Look at the garbage he rolled with at OT in the SB rather than letting a younger player have a crack. 

Could a young guy start week 1, take his lumps and hit his stride in the second half of the year well before the playoffs? Yes. Would Andy Reid start fucking AndrewTurnstylie Wyie at LT before he went that route? Yes.

25 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It's just a matter of knowing Reid doesn't trust young players. Look at the garbage he rolled with at OT in the SB rather than letting a younger player have a crack. 

Could a young guy start week 1, take his lumps and hit his stride in the second half of the year well before the playoffs? Yes. Would Andy Reid start fucking AndrewTurnstylie Wyie at LT before he went that route? Yes.

This is a MAJOR problem with the franchise. The concept of allowing young guys to play to be ready for the playoffs is a foreign concept to them. Even in blowouts  they keep running the sorensons of the world out there for the 4th quarter

59 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This is a MAJOR problem with the franchise. The concept of allowing young guys to play to be ready for the playoffs is a foreign concept to them. Even in blowouts  they keep running the sorensons of the world out there for the 4th quarter

Them not being willing to try different combos on our line last year was asinine. Like you said before. Continuity doesn't mean shit if it's a bunch of turds that are familiar with one another.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, kkuenn said:

Proven LT for the 31st pick? I would do it. Wonder what it would take to get it done though? Leaves us a center need, LB, de(I think we get a fa one or one cut), 2nd TE and 2nd WR really. I would still draft another Lineman too.

Brown would bring 2 1st round picks or a 1st, 2 nds and 3rd....he is a talent for sure

Chiefs signed DT Jarran Reed, formerly of the Seahawks, to a one-year, $7 million contract.

Reed's contract features $5 million in guarantees. The Seahawks attempted to trade Reed after a contract dispute but weren't able to find any bidders. They ultimately released him a year after re-signing him to a two-year contract. Reed played all 16 games for the Seahawks last season and racked up 6.5 sacks plus a forced fumble. He peeked at an impressive 10.5 sacks three years ago. Now 28 years old, Reed projects as a high-end rotational player for the Chiefs. He'll join a loaded defensive line alongside Chris Jones and Frank Clark. Despite the Kansas City offense being their calling card, they've also managed to form a talented pass-rushing and remain the team to beat in the AFC.

I wonder if Khalen Saunders will be used a trade bait on draft night? 

Jones 

Nnadi

Reed

Wharton

Clark

I think Austin Edwards who was on practice squad could be moving inside to DT too. He is 6'5" 280. Another 10-15 lbs could make him a long DT like Chris Jones. 

11 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I wonder if Khalen Saunders will be used a trade bait on draft night? 

Jones 

Nnadi

Reed

Wharton

Clark

I think Austin Edwards who was on practice squad could be moving inside to DT too. He is 6'5" 280. Another 10-15 lbs could make him a long DT like Chris Jones. 

3 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Very interesting

Guessing that says a lot about what they thought of the free agent defensive ends.  Not a great D end draft class either.

Pretty good plan B.  Can't wait to see CJ and JR wreck havok up the middle. With Wharton and Saunders continuing to develop that's a hell of a rotation and a great counter for quick pass sets.