Free agent rumor(s)

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's possible that Burton doesn't even make the final 53.  

possible but I'd say not probable IMO not sure they'd waste  the cap space or the effort for just a camp body.. a good blocker, capable hands and ST player. I'd say he has great chance. Andy & Co are going to have to re scheme some things to keep the other teams D off balance and having a FB that can catch is an option I hope they use more often. I really enjoy watching the big guys run.

41 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's possible that Burton doesn't even make the final 53.  

If they actually want to keep a FB around we won't be entering camp with just a single guy so either a draft pick comes in or may be an UDFA or another veteran. Either way Burton probably isn't a lock. I would imagine Toub has some say on the matter so may be his ST history could be an indicator.

45 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I really enjoy watching the big guys run.

I really do, too. But he is a "one yard and a cloud of dust" guy, and we will never actually see him.  We will just see them move the chains or raise their arms to signal TD. Mostly, he will be ST. But it is also one more blocking piece.  This whole offseason seems to indicate a determination to block well.  That is music to my ears and makes me excited to see the final product on the field...with actual fans screaming.

25 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I really do, too. But he is a "one yard and a cloud of dust" guy, and we will never actually see him.  We will just see them move the chains or raise their arms to signal TD. Mostly, he will be ST. But it is also one more blocking piece.  This whole offseason seems to indicate a determination to block well.  That is music to my ears and makes me excited to see the final product on the field...with actual fans screaming.

Yep. Bell wasn't brought back because of his receiving prowess. He is a stud blocker at the TE position. Maybe they finally realized things have gotten a bit too " finesse" here. We need to be able to kick teams asses at the line of scrimmage too.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Guess our roster is shored up. Nothing to see here.

There should be some action after the draft.  Ingram may reconsider and Breeland may come back.  Once teams draft about 15 OTs on the first two days, the two LTs that have been talked about may decide a one year deal with a possible ring is reasonable.  Chiefs aren't done IMHO. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There should be some action after the draft.  Ingram may reconsider and Breeland may come back.  Once teams draft about 15 OTs on the first two days, the two LTs that have been talked about may decide a one year deal with a possible ring is reasonable.  Chiefs aren't done IMHO. 

I know. I'm just bored. And drafting out of need is a terrible plan. We still have 🕳s.

28 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I know. I'm just bored. And drafting out of need is a terrible plan. We still have 🕳s.

Agree, still like to pick up a FA LT just so we don't have to do anything out of desperation during the draft.  With nobody there,  teams will ream us in a trade. 

43 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Agree, still like to pick up a FA LT just so we don't have to do anything out of desperation during the draft.  With nobody there,  teams will ream us in a trade. 

No FA LT out there will lessen the need to get a LT early.  tt just means they don't have to grab an instant starter.  

51 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Just saw where JuJu was being interviewed and talked about how close he was to signing with the Chiefs. Well JuJu....you and Trent Williams can ponder your decisions from your living rooms while the Chiefs are hoisting another Lombardi. Maybe Andy will send you an updated pic.

It's hard to get back to the SB. Seems odd not sure why Reid would put out like that? He knows it's not that easy..

It seems to have become standard thinking around the NFL that a left tackle is the second most primo position after QB, because this has become a passing league.  This will make some teams who desperately need something else jump on LT's in the first round, even if some other needs are even bigger. Mahomes has his amazing ability to throw accurately on the run across his chest, and our marked strengthening of the interior O-line is going to give us a very potent running game with CEH.  Opponents will discover what a mistake it is to try to pressure Mahomes on every play. CEH is going to become a much bigger factor in the quick passing game, also.  For these reasons, I believe Reid and Veach will be able to draft an OT in the second round who can have time to develop which will probably surprise and anger fans, by picking a primo playmaker, maybe a WR, that will fall to them in the late first round because of everyone else's desperation to get the first 5 OT's off the board.  Anyway, Mahomes will be protected every bit as much by an improved run threat as by a first round rookie LT. Remember, Fisher was the first player drafted in his draft, and he was barely mediocre the first three or four years. A second tier LT playing while he develops will look pretty damned good when he is helped by Thuney next to him.  I think that is why we went after Thuney so aggresively.

6 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

It's hard to get back to the SB. Seems odd not sure why Reid would put out like that? He knows it's not that easy..

Yes....but anyone thinking the Steelers are on the cusp of going back didn't watch them the last 6 weeks of last season. Big Ben is nothing more than serviceable at this point.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It seems to have become standard thinking around the NFL that a left tackle is the second most primo position after QB, because this has become a passing league.  This will make some teams who desperately need something else jump on LT's in the first round, even if some other needs are even bigger. Mahomes has his amazing ability to throw accurately on the run across his chest, and our marked strengthening of the interior O-line is going to give us a very potent running game with CEH.  Opponents will discover what a mistake it is to try to pressure Mahomes on every play. CEH is going to become a much bigger factor in the quick passing game, also.  For these reasons, I believe Reid and Veach will be able to draft an OT in the second round who can have time to develop which will probably surprise and anger fans, by picking a primo playmaker, maybe a WR, that will fall to them in the late first round because of everyone else's desperation to get the first 5 OT's off the board.  Anyway, Mahomes will be protected every bit as much by an improved run threat as by a first round rookie LT. Remember, Fisher was the first player drafted in his draft, and he was barely mediocre the first three or four years. A second tier LT playing while he develops will look pretty damned good when he is helped by Thuney next to him.  I think that is why we went after Thuney so aggresively.

Understand your logic, but don't agree.  It would seem better to draft and develop the number 6 ranked LT and get the WR on day two than draft the number 4 WR (or lower) and take an OT at the end of the second round.  Remember, the Chiefs aren't going after the primary receiving weapon, they have Hill and Kelce.  They're looking for the third option to use when Hill and Kelce are doubled.  Your reference to Fisher's early years makes it even more important to prioritize OT.  The stop gap FA, assuming the Chiefs sign one, won't be a long term solution.  Better get the next man up warming up early.  Start working on the long term fixture at LT now. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

I hadn't much thought about that.   Lots of tackles gonna get drafted and quite a few LT's gonna get cut.  Okung and Villanueva might be holding out but if they hold out too long they gonna be left holding the bag.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Understand your logic, but don't agree.  It would seem better to draft and develop the number 6 ranked LT and get the WR on day two than draft the number 4 WR (or lower) and take an OT at the end of the second round.  Remember, the Chiefs aren't going after the primary receiving weapon, they have Hill and Kelce.  They're looking for the third option to use when Hill and Kelce are doubled.  Your reference to Fisher's early years makes it even more important to prioritize OT.  The stop gap FA, assuming the Chiefs sign one, won't be a long term solution.  Better get the next man up warming up early.  Start working on the long term fixture at LT now. 

That's good logic, too. Only Veach can answer this.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I would add the useless history of rookie WRs in this system for whatever reason. Whomever comes in spends a year or two at least before actually contributing in Reid's system and giving up a premium pick for literally a project player is just bad draft strategy. LT is an exceptional case due to how late we are picking but any other position is basically a decent starter or bust in the first 3 rounds IMO, especially for skill positions. If we have to wait on a WR to be useful in 2023 or something then 3rd day is the right time to draft one.

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would add the useless history of rookie WRs in this system for whatever reason. Whomever comes in spends a year or two at least before actually contributing in Reid's system and giving up a premium pick for literally a project player is just bad draft strategy. LT is an exceptional case due to how late we are picking but any other position is basically a decent starter or bust in the first 3 rounds IMO, especially for skill positions. If we have to wait on a WR to be useful in 2023 or something then 3rd day is the right time to draft one.

Hill and Hardman both had over 500 yards and 6 TDs year 1. One who was super raw and one who was a 5th rounder that split time between WR/ and RB. I dont think there's any reason to believe a first or second rd WR can't contribute here early, especially if he is more polished.

And the idea isn't just gaudy stats, it's a weapon on the field defenses have to account for that opens up things for Hill, CEH, Kelce, etc.

I rarely understand your viewpoints in football and I don't in this case either. Giving Mahomes another potent weapon is never a bad idea, especially if the line has been addressed beforehand. 

What position do you think we should be using our early picks on?

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hill and Hardman both had over 500 yards and 6 TDs year 1. 1 who was super raw and one who was a 5th rounder that split time between WR/ and RB. I dont think there's any reason to believe a first or second rd WR can't contribute here early, especially if he is more polished.

And the idea isn't just gaudy stats, it's a weapon on the field defenses have to account for that opens up things for Hill, CEH, Kelce, etc.

I rarely understand your viewpoints in football and I don't in this case either. Giving Mahomes another potent weapon is never a bad idea, especially if the line has been addressed beforehand. 

What position do you think we should be using our early picks on?

Obviously the LT and then OC. In terms of receivers I value a second TE a lot more than a WR at this point. Whomever comes in will likely be #4 in targets (if not lower) and will have limited contribution assuming he is ready to go from day one. A second TE on the other hand will really open up the offense as there will be a legitimate option in the middle that defenses have to focus on besides Kelce. Might even render the opposing pass rush useless as there will be early targets to consider for Mahomes instead of running around for ages. Not to mention Kelce is already over 30 and there's really no option to replace him if needed.

Both Hill and Hardman officially exceeded 500 passing yards as rookies but both had trick plays that count as passes to add to their numbers. Regardless I wouldn't consider 500 yards in 2021 worthy of a high pick with so many needs on offense. Also we can already get around that with the crap we have at WR already on the roster and most 2nd-3rd tier FAs could easily exceed that as long as Mahomes has time to look around.