Free agent rumor(s)

After reading your posts, I think you are all right as far as a WR.  I still believe in the idea that Veach might decide that the value of some other positions we would benefit from may be  a greater overall value, considering that there are about 15 really good OT or OT prospects, many of whom will still be available throughout the second round.  Even players we currently have would serve with help from Thuney and with an improved running game and quick passing game due to the improved interior. That would give a second tier LT in this rich class a year to learn and get up to speed.  I am still just a little cautious because of the years of delayed value of Fisher after we reached for the "best" LT with the first overall pick in the 2013 draft. The lines play as a unit.  A stronger interior will make for a stronger exterior as well, and our offensive strategy will be changing somewhat toward the run, instead of disproportionate passing in all situations. Rushers will also have to stay back some to watch for more passes to the RB's.

Though WR may have been a bad example, I would rather see us pick a really good LB at 31 and then go for OT in the second.  The exception would be if somebody like Teven Jenkins was still there, or maybe Cosmi.  Cosmi would be perfect, since he is as talented and has as high a ceiling as anyone but needs some work   It might be good to still get Ingram for a year while that is happening.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Obviously the LT and then OC. In terms of receivers I value a second TE a lot more than a WR at this point. Whomever comes in will likely be #4 in targets (if not lower) and will have limited contribution assuming he is ready to go from day one. A second TE on the other hand will really open up the offense as there will be a legitimate option in the middle that defenses have to focus on besides Kelce. Might even render the opposing pass rush useless as there will be early targets to consider for Mahomes instead of running around for ages. Not to mention Kelce is already over 30 and there's really no option to replace him if needed.

Both Hill and Hardman officially exceeded 500 passing yards as rookies but both had trick plays that count as passes to add to their numbers. Regardless I wouldn't consider 500 yards in 2021 worthy of a high pick with so many needs on offense. Also we can already get around that with the crap we have at WR already on the roster and most 2nd-3rd tier FAs could easily exceed that as long as Mahomes has time to look around. 

The fact that they were connected to most receivers on the market tells you all you need to know about what they think of the WR position, or at least the number 2 WR position. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The fact that they were connected to most receivers on the market tells you all you need to know about what they think of the WR position, or at least the number 2 WR position. 

Yup.  We have Hill, and that's pretty much it at the WR position.  Hardman hasn't taken the next step, and Robinson took a cheap deal to come back and be the 4th receiver, something that doesn't happen if he has any kind of ceiling approaching a 2nd WR.  This team has a logjam of 4th WRs on the depth chart, and a real gap between Hill and everyone else.  If this offense is going to get anywhere near it's potential, it needs some talent to bridge that gap between Hill and everyone else. 

24 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

They sure want to and definitely should add a WR to the mix. However a veteran WR and a rookie WR are two very different things, not to mention in Reid's system where for some reason everyone is preaching about "a couple years to learn". It's not about the need for a WR, it's more about the priority based on other needs and the likely output. 

I think they will still try to go for a veteran WR in FA once the cuts start and we may see some ring chasing veterans even earlier than that. I'm still hoping for Fitzgerald but not holding my breath. 

29 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

After reading your posts, I think you are all right as far as a WR.  I still believe in the idea that Veach might decide that the value of some other positions we would benefit from may be  a greater overall value, considering that there are about 15 really good OT or OT prospects, many of whom will still be available throughout the second round.  Even players we currently have would serve with help from Thuney and with an improved running game and quick passing game due to the improved interior. That would give a second tier LT in this rich class a year to learn and get up to speed.  I am still just a little cautious because of the years of delayed value of Fisher after we reached for the "best" LT with the first overall pick in the 2013 draft. The lines play as a unit.  A stronger interior will make for a stronger exterior as well, and our offensive strategy will be changing somewhat toward the run, instead of disproportionate passing in all situations. Rushers will also have to stay back some to watch for more passes to the RB's.

Though WR may have been a bad example, I would rather see us pick a really good LB at 31 and then go for OT in the second.  The exception would be if somebody like Teven Jenkins was still there, or maybe Cosmi.  Cosmi would be perfect, since he is as talented and has as high a ceiling as anyone but needs some work   It might be good to still get Ingram for a year while that is happening.

The more I read about him the more I like Cosmi. He seems to be climbing the draft boards rather fast but obviously the experts rarely get the real value right. The fact that we reached for Fisher who would likely be a decent 2nd round pick in most drafts lead me to believe a veteran option will eventually come in to provide some flexibility. I still think our first pick should be a LT but it could be much better to do that by moving down a few spots and get some extra draft capital in the process. As things currently stand we are more likely to move up than down which is never ideal entering the draft. 

JuJu is about JuJu so no real surprise....screw him.

Schwartz wants to resign with KC.....I hope KC gives him a chance if he is healthy

Although we need a LT- Reid may go WR in Rd one....he can not help himself.

Hey Andy- you need to rewatch the Super Bowl film the night before the draft

w

1 minute ago, West said:

Schwartz wants to resign with KC.....I hope KC gives him a chance if he is healthy

w

I'm old enough to remember that lack of a 3rd option that can eat up man pressure allows some teams to double up tyreek and kelce.  Those teams are typically playoff teams.  The depth of this tackle and wr class works in our favor.

29 minutes ago, West said:

w

Remmers and Niang is a legit competition at RT that should yield a positive contributor. Resigning Schwartz now wastes a yr of a 3rd round player on a rookie contract or renders the contract we gave Remmers useless. He clearly can't play LT and we have depth at guard already, so it wouldn't make sense to pay him for that. 

Niang behind Schwartz...great. Remmers behind Schwartz...great. Both...is a misuse of money and resources.

Fisher is the one I would be looking at as far as a possible return. If healthy he makes a ton of sense on a 1yr deal. 

I know people love Schwartz and rightfully so, but Veach has created a legit RT competition. He moved on. 

57 minutes ago, West said:

w

JuJu is all about JuJu, for sure.  But he is 23 years old and spoiled by acclaim.  A spoiled kid.  But he also has a huge family of seven brothers and sisters, and he used his money to buy a house for his mom, who he is very close to.  Sometimes it is hard to remember that these players are basically kids, even the "older ones."  I would assume he also has at least a girlfriend.  Moving to a new city is not just about football.  These players have lives and loves, and connections.  Uprooting himself from all of that for a little more scratch is a no-go for a lot of players, not just him.  No one wants to yank their own kids out of school and away from friends or their wives from a job and move to a strange new city for only a one or two year contract. Not even for good BBQ. There is a lot of reason why players decide to stay on, even when Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes send  him constant tweets and pictures of them holding the Lombardy.

43 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

JuJu is all about JuJu, for sure.  But he is 23 years old and spoiled by acclaim.  A spoiled kid.  But he also has a huge family of seven brothers and sisters, and he used his money to buy a house for his mom, who he is very close to.  Sometimes it is hard to remember that these players are basically kids, even the "older ones."  I would assume he also has at least a girlfriend.  Moving to a new city is not just about football.  These players have lives and loves, and connections.  Uprooting himself from all of that for a little more scratch is a no-go for a lot of players, not just him.  No one wants to yank their own kids out of school and away from friends or their wives from a job and move to a strange new city for only a one or two year contract. Not even for good BBQ. There is a lot of reason why players decide to stay on, even when Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes send  him constant tweets and pictures of them holding the Lombardy.

Love this quote from Juju.  “Just seeing K.C. and bro, Andy Reid was just calling me and he was sending me Lombardi Trophy pictures like constantly.”

Sending him pictures of the trophy.  😂

I'm curious about the specific offer Chiefs made to JuJu. Seems like a perfect fit for any FA WR and leaving the chance to play for Mahomes in favor of another year of Big Ben seems really crazy in a league where a single play could end careers. 

16 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm curious about the specific offer Chiefs made to JuJu. Seems like a perfect fit for any FA WR and leaving the chance to play for Mahomes in favor of another year of Big Ben seems really crazy in a league where a single play could end careers. 

May not of wanted to uproot for a 1 year deal. If he likes the relationships he has or has family, may be worth playing for less one year.  Especially hedging he could get a multi year deal next year when the cap eases so why move twice. Still people at the end of the day

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm pretty confident that we are retaining Dieter.

40 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

May not of wanted to uproot for a 1 year deal. If he likes the relationships he has or has family, may be worth playing for less one year.  Especially hedging he could get a multi year deal next year when the cap eases so why move twice. Still people at the end of the day

Makes a lot of sense but the whole news about Chiefs' offer being much better is somewhat weird as the only numbers I could find were 8 million with up to 3 in bonuses as opposed to 8 million straight up by the Steelers, which isn't really that better so I thought may be Chiefs actually offered something more or lengthy but couldn't find anything. 

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What position do you think we should be using our early picks on?

Impossible to say until we know how the board shakes out with the first 30 picks.  One thing is certain.  Barring an unexpected LT trade or signing, the Chiefs have NO ONE to play that super critical position.  We don't need a repeat of the desperation move of inserting Gordon "The Matador" Black to protect the QBs blind side.  Sooner or later Mahomes will get hurt seriously that way.  So unless Veach has a plan we can't guess at, the Chiefs have to get a tackle early.  Best case would be to have several options at #31 and move down a few slots to still get their man.  Then take an X receiver where they find value.  Worst case is ending up with a development type LT that doesn't develop.  My priority list, if it could be done without reaching, would be LT, WR OC,,LB, Edge, TE, S, CB, with the last three in any order, but if they could get Meinerz or Cox in the second, there's plenty of receivers in the third or fourth rounds.  

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hill and Hardman both had over 500 yards and 6 TDs year 1. One who was super raw and one who was a 5th rounder that split time between WR/ and RB. I dont think there's any reason to believe a first or second rd WR can't contribute here early, especially if he is more polished.

And the idea isn't just gaudy stats, it's a weapon on the field defenses have to account for that opens up things for Hill, CEH, Kelce, etc.

I rarely understand your viewpoints in football and I don't in this case either. Giving Mahomes another potent weapon is never a bad idea, especially if the line has been addressed beforehand. 

What position do you think we should be using our early picks on?

DE, LT, CB    There are so many good wr's taken in the 2nd & 3rd round.   The bust rate for wr's is higher too irc.   I think we should absolutely add talent at the wr position but just do it every year in rounds 2-4.   Another weapon would take some pressure off but last year we were about the same team with or without Sammy.  Hill and Kelce are the best one two duo in the league.  Hardman and CEH are on this team as well.  Seems like a more logical decision to fix major problems like the Oline, DE, LB, & DB early in the draft and draft a couple developmental wr's in the middle.   At some point adding another threat at wr doesn't raise the overall ability of the offense if the Oline can't give Mahomes enough time for them to get open.   Balance imo.   With that said I won't cry if we draft a good one in the first.   

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Could be smoke too.   It was tackles a month ago.

4 hours ago, xen said:

I'm old enough to remember that lack of a 3rd option that can eat up man pressure allows some teams to double up tyreek and kelce.  Those teams are typically playoff teams.  The depth of this tackle and wr class works in our favor.

While I think Oline is far more important than wr at this point, I do think we need a guy that can get 1000 / 10 at that #2 spot.  Watkins was that kind of talent in 2019 when healthy but didn't look great even when he did play last year.   Plus I think those WR's like Mitchell and Bateman are harder to find later in the draft...even though there are a lot of good wr prospects in this draft.   I kinda think it might be Mitchell then Forsythe or Little  (That's not my hope but I could absolutely see them going WR in 1 and OT in 2.)

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

DE, LT, CB    There are so many good wr's taken in the 2nd & 3rd round.   The bust rate for wr's is higher too irc.   I think we should absolutely add talent at the wr position but just do it every year in rounds 2-4.   Another weapon would take some pressure off but last year we were about the same team with or without Sammy.  Hill and Kelce are the best one two duo in the league.  Hardman and CEH are on this team as well.  Seems like a more logical decision to fix major problems like the Oline, DE, LB, & DB early in the draft and draft a couple developmental wr's in the middle.   At some point adding another threat at wr doesn't raise the overall ability of the offense if the Oline can't give Mahomes enough time for them to get open.   Balance imo.   With that said I won't cry if we draft a good one in the first.   

Get a good to great type TE and it will fix many things.  There will be ones available after round 2