Free agent rumor(s)

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well now that the draft is over more FA's look to be hitting the open market.. The LT from Da Bears was surprising ..did the Chiefs move too fast getting Brown? I dunno and hindsight is always 20-20 but.

Seems the WTFs released a couple of nobody WRs but  one runs a 4.27 Jeff  Badat out of Oklahoma

Not at all on Brown.  He was really the better choice over Chicago LT.

5 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Not at all on Brown.  He was really the better choice over Chicago LT.

He was the best LT available IMO, even better than Williams. So glad we didn't drop $130 mill on a 33 year old. Worst case scenario, we have Brown this year and then 2 franchise years. A Pro Bowl LT for 3 years is worth much more than the 31st pick. 

55 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well now that the draft is over more FA's look to be hitting the open market.. The LT from Da Bears was surprising ..did the Chiefs move too fast getting Brown? I dunno and hindsight is always 20-20 but.

Seems the WTFs released a couple of nobody WRs but  one runs a 4.27 Jeff  Badat out of Oklahoma

That must mean that they see Jenkins on the left side.  

I really have no idea if Leno is any good or not, just that he was a consistent starter for Chicago.  Might have been better than some of the other vet flyers that were being talked about, but honestly Brown seems like the best possible player, as others have said I prefer him to Williams based on age.  The only question is cost (draft capital + contract).

4 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I really have no idea if Leno is any good or not, just that he was a consistent starter for Chicago.  Might have been better than some of the other vet flyers that were being talked about, but honestly Brown seems like the best possible player, as others have said I prefer him to Williams based on age.  The only question is cost (draft capital + contract).

No need to worry about draft capital to get Brown.  The Chiefs would have had to spent their first on an OT that wasn't guaranteed to even become a starter.  The real cost is not having that tackle on a rookie contract for the four extra years.  Considering that the Chiefs are in a "win now" mode, Brown makes a lot of sense.  It may become tough to handle the cap after all the kicking the can down the road, but it's a good  bet that Veach has that all planned out.  The Chiefs may have a top ten O-line for the next four years if they can sign Brown to a reasonable deal.  

48 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No need to worry about draft capital to get Brown.  The Chiefs would have had to spent their first on an OT that wasn't guaranteed to even become a starter.  The real cost is not having that tackle on a rookie contract for the four extra years.  Considering that the Chiefs are in a "win now" mode, Brown makes a lot of sense.  It may become tough to handle the cap after all the kicking the can down the road, but it's a good  bet that Veach has that all planned out.  The Chiefs may have a top ten O-line for the next four years if they can sign Brown to a reasonable deal.  

Well, the draft capital matters a little for the exact reason that you mention, that we presumably will be paying him.  We continue to be a top-heavy team in terms of contracts so we need to make sure we are drafting well to fill out the rest of the team, and the best way to do that is with a lot of picks.  Forget how high they were, Brown cost us two picks and he won't be paid like a rookie after this year.  So there is an opportunity cost.

Again, I'm more than okay with the move, but let's not completely dismiss the cost.

The thing with Brown is the position. Consistently picking towards the end of the 1st means losing out on at least a year of rookie cap for a decent LT. The 5th year option is over 10 million which is basically higher than the first year of any long term deal. By getting a cheap contract for a year we only lose out 2 years of a rookie deal with Brown. I think that's a very good trade-off to get a proven player instead of a rookie gamble. In terms of the contract the 2 years isn't even a big deal for the second most important position once there's a franchise QB in town. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

The thing with Brown is the position. Consistently picking towards the end of the 1st means losing out on at least a year of rookie cap for a decent LT. The 5th year option is over 10 million which is basically higher than the first year of any long term deal. By getting a cheap contract for a year we only lose out 2 years of a rookie deal with Brown. I think that's a very good trade-off to get a proven player instead of a rookie gamble. In terms of the contract the 2 years isn't even a big deal for the second most important position once there's a franchise QB in town. 

Don't forget too that most rookies take a good year to get up in strength and learn the offense etc. A vet already has experience and as you said proven too. 

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Well, the draft capital matters a little for the exact reason that you mention, that we presumably will be paying him.  We continue to be a top-heavy team in terms of contracts so we need to make sure we are drafting well to fill out the rest of the team, and the best way to do that is with a lot of picks.  Forget how high they were, Brown cost us two picks and he won't be paid like a rookie after this year.  So there is an opportunity cost.

Again, I'm more than okay with the move, but let's not completely dismiss the cost.

I get what you're saying and it's splitting hairs.  If one goes on the assumption that the Chiefs would spend a first on OT, then the draft capital was essentially trading a third and fourth for another second.  Agree, more pick would have been useful.  Better than Bolton and Creed?  Give me four years to decide that one.  It would be interesting to see who the Chiefs could have taken at 94 and 136.  They have a huge need at LB for next year (and this one) and Creed fills out what could be an awesome O-line.  If Brown, Bolton, and Creed are all starting in a few seasons, then using four picks to get them is a bargain.  

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Especially when that LT is a proven pro-bowler at only age 25. 

We have like 9 million in cap space I believe and we still have to renegotiate HB's contract which should free up at least 5-6 million more unless he backloads it which would free up more.     He usually backloads those things so I would imagine it'll free up close to 10 million considering HB is scheduled to make 19 million this year.   That gives us 19 million.  Use 3 million for the rookie pool and that leave us 16 million. 

Option A:  Trade for Julio Jones and make this offense insane. 

Option B:  Sign Justin Houston (7million) and Breezy (3million) then sign a vet/cut player at S/WLB/WR - Fills two holes on D and adds some depth.

Option C:  Sign Justin Houston (7milllion) and a vet WR.  Addresses biggest need at DE and adds another weapon..

Option D:  Trade for Leighton Vander Esch to play WLB and Justin Houston and Breezy.   Defense is pretty stout and weakest link is Dan Sorensen which I can live with.

Option E: some combination of the 4 

30 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Who are some key guys we may lose next year that could use an extension now besides Honey Badger? Could extend and frontload a few if needed

Depends on how you define "key".  Guys who will be FAs after this season include, HB, LDT, Reed Ward, Remmers, Sorenson, Pringle, Wylie, Henne,  Darrell, Neiman, Long, Robinson, Bell, Taco, Blythe, Witzman, Burton, Sharp, Nnadi, Culkin, Harris, Calloway, Winchester, Rankin, and Brown.

I'd say extend:, Brown, HB, Pringle, Darrell, Nnadi, 

Consider:  Taco Winchester, Calloway, Long and Reed depending on how they play this season.  

Cut: Hitchens.

Release: Ward, Sorenson, LDT, Wylie, Neiman, Robinson, Bell, if replacements found.

There are some others under contract that will become FAs but aren't really part of the scene and some on my list are already gone (Witzman?).  I probably missed a few. : 

Report: Colts to target Charles Leno if Eric Fisher fails physical

The Indianapolis Colts are bringing in former Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Eric Fisher in for a visit and a physical later in the week, which may ultimately determine their decision to sign him.

The Colts have a massive need at left tackle and even though they seem confident in Sam Tevi, it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade the position with an addition like Fisher.

But after tearing his Achilles in January, Fisher has to pass a physical with the Colts before they move forward. If he doesn’t pass the physical, the Colts will reportedly target former Chicago Bears left tackle Charles Leno, per Stephen Holder of The Athletic.

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Report: Colts to target Charles Leno if Eric Fisher fails physical

The Indianapolis Colts are bringing in former Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Eric Fisher in for a visit and a physical later in the week, which may ultimately determine their decision to sign him.

The Colts have a massive need at left tackle and even though they seem confident in Sam Tevi, it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade the position with an addition like Fisher.

But after tearing his Achilles in January, Fisher has to pass a physical with the Colts before they move forward. If he doesn’t pass the physical, the Colts will reportedly target former Chicago Bears left tackle Charles Leno, per Stephen Holder of The Athletic.

Seems crazy he could pass a physical after suffering an achilles tear just a few months ago.

10 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Seems crazy he could pass a physical after suffering an achilles tear just a few months ago.

Maybe he plans to cross his legs really fast during the exam!

21 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

maybe they pro rate his recovery schedule and just see if he's on tract to make it by season's start

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Depends on how you define "key".  Guys who will be FAs after this season include, HB, LDT, Reed Ward, Remmers, Sorenson, Pringle, Wylie, Henne,  Darrell, Neiman, Long, Robinson, Bell, Taco, Blythe, Witzman, Burton, Sharp, Nnadi, Culkin, Harris, Calloway, Winchester, Rankin, and Brown.

I'd say extend:, Brown, HB, Pringle, Darrell, Nnadi, 

Consider:  Taco Winchester, Calloway, Long and Reed depending on how they play this season.  

Cut: Hitchens.

Release: Ward, Sorenson, LDT, Wylie, Neiman, Robinson, Bell, if replacements found.

There are some others under contract that will become FAs but aren't really part of the scene and some on my list are already gone (Witzman?).  I probably missed a few. : 

wow that's a lot of guys for next year. Id rather look for a DE and then hang onto $ until roster cut down to 53. The pool will be larger and we also may need help barring any training camp injuries. cross our fingers there wont be.

3 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

wow that's a lot of guys for next year. Id rather look for a DE and then hang onto $ until roster cut down to 53. The pool will be larger and we also may need help barring any training camp injuries. cross our fingers there wont be.

I read somewhere that the Chiefs have 44 players who aren't under contract after this coming season.  Seems like a lot but as my list indicates, many aren't critical to the team and others can be cheaply resigned.  Only about five are big signings.