Schwartz Has Surgery

Chiefs right tackle Mitchell Schwartz is beginning his offseason with an operation.

Schwartz is undergoing surgery Wednesday after a back injury stripped him of 10 regular-season games and the entire postseason. The ailment is the only one to hold Schwartz out of any games over his nine-year NFL career, offering an indication as to its severity.

In a social media post Wednesday before the operation, Schwartz said he anticipates returning for 2021, which could provide the first important step toward the Chiefs solving the offensive line woes that played a significant factor in the Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay.

“I was hoping to recover enough to get back for the playoffs/Super Bowl, but that didn’t happen,” Schwartz wrote in his Tweet. “It’s time to address the issue. The recovery process isn’t too long, which is nice. Looking forward to a healthy 2021!”

Schwartz, 31, has one year left on a contract that will pay him nearly $10 million. When healthy, he has been one of the game’s best right tackles — and before this season was one of its most reliable. In 2019, Schwartz did not allow a sack all season, according to Pro Football Focus.

He missed a snap during the 2019 season for the first time in his career but returned in the same game. He attempted to play through this back injury in the 2020 season, starting in Buffalo before removing himself from the Week 6 contest. He never returned over the remainder of the season but put off surgery in hopes of a potential Super Bowl appearance.

The Chiefs could have used him. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes was pressured on 29 of his 56 dropbacks and scrambled 497 yards behind the line of scrimmage in an effort to buy more time. The Chiefs were on their third-string right tackle in the game.

Mike Remmers had filled in for Schwartz most of the season — and done so admirably — but when Eric Fisher injured his Achilles in the AFC Championship Game, Remmers moved to left tackle and guard Andrew Wylie kicked out to right tackle. Both players struggled at their new spots against the Buccaneers.

Schwartz joined the Chiefs in 2016 in free agency, signing a five-year contract that made him one of the most-compensated right tackles at the time. He spent his first four seasons in Cleveland. The Chiefs have won the AFC West division title every season Schwartz has been on the team.

I'll play the devil's advocate here.   So after three months and not being able to play in the AFC Championship game they still had hopes of him playing in the SB?   That was over a month ago.   I never saw or heard anything to give hope at all entering the playoffs he was even trying to play.    Probably could have just as easily had the surgery a month ago.   

My guess is he waited so that the Chiefs couldn't cut him because he's still injured.    

The biggest issue is his roster spot and how much can we count on him returning to form after missing a year and how reliable can he be because if he last 2-3 game and is then out then we are in the same situation as we were last year.     Hate to say it but its time to move on and that probably means an injury settlement.    Mahomes can't last 10-15 years (if he wants to play that long) with an Oline anywhere near what we had last year.    Time to pony up and get some reliable better players up front.   

With all that I understand he has a family to provide for and he should and will make the best deciions for him and his family and any of us would.   Wish him the best and hope the surgery is a success.  Back issues suck and he has his whole life in front of him.

4 hours ago, Palangi said:

It's hard to make anything of this. Back injuries can be tricky,  especially with surgery. 

The question in my mind is, how can anyone be comfortable with an offensive linemen coming off of back surgery?  I'm of the opinion that it's probably best to find a replacement.  I would prefer not to be up shit creek if we put our eggs in his basket at RT and in late october the back starts acting up. 

3 minutes ago, moons314 said:

The question in my mind is, how can anyone be comfortable with an offensive linemen coming off of back surgery?  I'm of the opinion that it's probably best to find a replacement.  I would prefer not to be up shit creek if we put our eggs in his basket at RT and in late october the back starts acting up. 

Depends on Niang really imo. If he can play RT great. If he can play LT well then maybe we roll with it and get a development type RT or see what we have in PS players etc.

55 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I don't think we'd be up shit creek. As long as Niang is on the squad we have a potential answer there. And not a league minimum vet. No offense to Remmers. He filled in. But we can't have below average players with no upside in front of Patrick Mahomes anymore. Period. 

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Depends on Niang really imo. If he can play RT great. If he can play LT well then maybe we roll with it and get a development type RT or see what we have in PS players etc.

I think we should draft a LT. If Schwartz comes back, Niang can go LT if he's capable. Then if Schwartz goes down again, plug in Niang back at RT and Rankin or rookie at LT. 

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

Thought about this and we have Niang so I think you have to move forward just without the possibility of recouping some of that money by cutting him.   Which isn't a horrible thing if he's healthy.    Draft or sign a FA LT and draft or sign a FA center.   The rest of the offseason stays the same.    Only down side is Schwartz plays 3-4 games and then gets hurt again and we sunk 10 million into a OL with back issues for the year and you hate to lose out on another year of Mahomes career because of major OL injuries.  

7 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

I think we should draft a LT. If Schwartz comes back, Niang can go LT if he's capable. Then if Schwartz goes down again, plug in Niang back at RT and Rankin or rookie at LT. 

I think a LT is basically certain at this point. Even if Schwartz comes back and Niang plays at LT this year we would still have an opening for 2022. In such a scenario may be they push the OT back to 2nd round in favor of some interior OL in 1st but regardless one should be grabbed early on.

Also a fatty with back surgery is never a sure thing so we might need that newcomer to start much earlier than expected. 

20 minutes ago, xen said:

lol people gonna shit their pants when we take Brevin Jordan in the first.

I would not at all. People think we need a 2nd WR and possibly doing so in the 1st. A great TE would give us this, plus a blocker too if needed. I would be fine having a great TE to come in, learn and eventually take over for Kelce.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would not at all. People think we need a 2nd WR and possibly doing so in the 1st. A great TE would give us this, plus a blocker too if needed. I would be fine having a great TE to come in, learn and eventually take over for Kelce.

Me too.  Personally I think that would be a great pick if they're confident Schwartz is ok.  

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I read something in regards to Chiefs but is he a 1rst rnd talent??

Borderline.  Hed be fine at end of rd 1 somewhere in rd 2.  I think he's gone by the time we pick again in rd 2.  

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not even close  The Chiefs might have an interest in him, but hopefully for later rounds.  On second thought, it would be like Veach to trade up to get him at around pick #25.  

Disagree.  He's first rd talent.  I would call him a 1-2 guy.  But that’s the talent pool you're going to be looking at at the end of rd 1.