Chiefs Kingdom

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

The haters of all things Chiefs are swarming. I can't watch a YouTube video of the Chiefs without seeing all the comments trashing Mahomes (overrated), Kelce (will be exposed now that Hill is gone) Defense has always been suspect and exposed against good teams. And now over at NFL Network there is a list of the top offenses going into the season and they have the Raiders and Vikings ahead of the Chiefs. Man-o-man. Not a lot of positive buzz lately.

I see that as a good thing..possibly motivation and possibly the team viewed as declining  and able to sneak up on everybody. That being said it is only logical for the Talking Heads as well as fandom to expect  1 step back after 4 AFC Championship games in a row and I wouldn't mind it  either as long as it is followed up by 2 steps forward.

this run has to end sooner or later 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I see that as a good thing..possibly motivation and possibly the team viewed as declining  and able to sneak up on everybody. That being said it is only logical for the Talking Heads as well as fandom to expect  1 step back after 4 AFC Championship games in a row and I wouldn't mind it  either as long as it is followed up by 2 steps forward.

this run has to end sooner or later 

Agree, and the step backward, if it happens this season, will be because the team has reloaded with new and young talent that needs experience.  So much better than an aging team in decline.  Except for Kelce, there's not one key player on the backside of their career.  It's all up from here for the next several years.  And they are still in good position for this year. 

How times have changed  I expect the Chiefs to win the AFC West. Nothing lasts forever as OT pointed out. The division is loaded. Maybe the best 4 QBs ever in one division. Hard for me to think a rookie head coach outdoes Andy though. And McDaniels in his 1st year plus Vegas got lucky in a lot of games last year. And Staley calls too many 4th and shorts! Cost him at least 2 games last year. Should be interesting. Vegas still has Chiefs as favorites I think 

14 hours ago, dhitter said:

The haters of all things Chiefs are swarming. I can't watch a YouTube video of the Chiefs without seeing all the comments trashing Mahomes (overrated), Kelce (will be exposed now that Hill is gone) Defense has always been suspect and exposed against good teams. And now over at NFL Network there is a list of the top offenses going into the season and they have the Raiders and Vikings ahead of the Chiefs. Man-o-man. Not a lot of positive buzz lately.

People will support what they want to believe and anyone with an issue regarding the current dominance of the Chiefs will see any move as a major step towards the decline. I expect nothing less and in fact more fury in the future as it only means we are consistently dominating. 

Denver's defense and QB have peaked.  They win now or things could go downhill.  The Chargers have a window until they have to pay their QB $50,000,000/yr. and try to keep the core of the team in tact.  They have to win in the next couple of years.  The Raiders are the Raiders.  'Nuff said.  I believe that over the next five years, the Chiefs are best positioned to win the majority of AFC west titles.  They won't win them all.  The other teams are above average and luck and injuries will play their usual parts.  But this is the best time to be a Chiefs' fan since 1969 or maybe ever.

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

People will support what they want to believe and anyone with an issue regarding the current dominance of the Chiefs will see any move as a major step towards the decline. I expect nothing less and in fact more fury in the future as it only means we are consistently dominating. 

And I agree. Some of it is meant to create controversy. Rank and file fans hate when someone else's team is dominating. How I hated the Broncos when they got Manning....lol But then I've always hated them😁

9 hours ago, dhitter said:

And I agree. Some of it is meant to create controversy. Rank and file fans hate when someone else's team is dominating. How I hated the Broncos when they got Manning....lol But then I've always hated them😁

Manning is a great example. We had the best pass rush duo around but couldn't even sniff him for years and kept making up reasons for their immediate downfall whenever something minor happened. In the end we needed football to be over with Manning. 

• 2 weeks later...

The AFL Chiefs An NFL Dynasty?

It could have happened with three more player signings

490a43d7eb1596cd956e75957ee45906?s=26&d=By Rick Gosselin   0

https://rickgosselin.com/the-afl-chiefs-were-three-players-shy-of-a-dynasty

The Kansas City Chiefs were the best team in the American Football League, winning the most games and the most championships during the league’s 10-year history.

But the Chiefs could have been better. Much, much better.

Frustrated that he was unable to land an NFL franchise for his hometown of Dallas, Texas oil man Lamar Hunt decided to start his own league in 1960 – the AFL. He would bring the sport to football-starved cities Dallas, Boston, Buffalo, Denver, Houston and Oakland in addition to Los Angeles and New York – and his teams would compete with the NFL for the same players coming out of college.

You needed deep pockets to play this game – and few had deeper pockets than Hunt. The drafts became annual bidding wars and Hunt became the NFL’s greatest nemesis.

Safety Johnny Robinson was the third overall pick of the 1960 draft by the Detroit Lions, He signed with Hunt’s Dallas Texans. Fullback Jack Spikes was the sixth overall pick of that same draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, He also signed with the Texans. So did guard Ed Budde, the fourth overall pick of the 1964 draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. But by then the Texans had moved to Kansas City and become the Chiefs.

Hunt’s franchise also won bidding wars for second-round NFL draft picks E.J. Holub (Dallas) and Fred Arbanas (St. Louis) in 1961, Outland Trophy-winner Bobby Bell (Minnesota) in 1963 and Heisman Trophy-winner Mike Garrett (Los Angeles) in 1966. Bell and Robinson are now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and both Arbanas and Budde joined them on the all-time AFL team.

But it’s the players that the Texans – and later Chiefs – did not sign that could have turned AFL dominance into an NFL dynasty. Three of their draft picks were named to the NFL’s 100th anniversary team: defensive tackle Bob Lilly, running back Gale Sayers and quarterback Roger Staubach. All three have busts in Canton.

Imagine Lilly lining up next to fellow Hall of Fame defensive tackle Buck Buchanan in the 1960s … and Staubach quarterbacking the Chiefs in the 1970s with the same flair as he did the Cowboys that decade. He took Dallas to four Super Bowls, winning twice. Ed Podolak set an NFL playoff record with the Chiefs in 1971 when he gained 350 total yards on runs, receptions and kick returns against the Miami Dolphins. Imagine how many yards Sayers would have gained for the Chiefs on the same field that same day with the same blocking.

The Chiefs also lost out on linebacker Mike “Mad Dog” Curtis, a four-time Pro Bowler, to the Baltimore Colts. Imagine where he’d have fit in a linebacking crew that already featured two Hall of Famers, Bell and Willie Lanier. In addition, Texans/Chiefs draft picks Walt Garrison and Pettis Norman both went on to win Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys.

The Texans/Chiefs won 87 games in the 1960 decade and three AFL championships. They also won the last game ever played by Hunt’s league – the 1970 Super Bowl against the Minnesota Vikings. But the Chiefs were whipping the NFL long before they ever met them on the playing field.

15 hours ago, xen said:

The AFL Chiefs An NFL Dynasty?

It could have happened with three more player signings

490a43d7eb1596cd956e75957ee45906?s=26&d=By Rick Gosselin Last updated Aug 23, 2022  0

https://rickgosselin.com/the-afl-chiefs-were-three-players-shy-of-a-dynasty

The Kansas City Chiefs were the best team in the American Football League, winning the most games and the most championships during the league’s 10-year history.

But the Chiefs could have been better. Much, much better.

Frustrated that he was unable to land an NFL franchise for his hometown of Dallas, Texas oil man Lamar Hunt decided to start his own league in 1960 – the AFL. He would bring the sport to football-starved cities Dallas, Boston, Buffalo, Denver, Houston and Oakland in addition to Los Angeles and New York – and his teams would compete with the NFL for the same players coming out of college.

You needed deep pockets to play this game – and few had deeper pockets than Hunt. The drafts became annual bidding wars and Hunt became the NFL’s greatest nemesis.

Safety Johnny Robinson was the third overall pick of the 1960 draft by the Detroit Lions, He signed with Hunt’s Dallas Texans. Fullback Jack Spikes was the sixth overall pick of that same draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, He also signed with the Texans. So did guard Ed Budde, the fourth overall pick of the 1964 draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. But by then the Texans had moved to Kansas City and become the Chiefs.

Hunt’s franchise also won bidding wars for second-round NFL draft picks E.J. Holub (Dallas) and Fred Arbanas (St. Louis) in 1961, Outland Trophy-winner Bobby Bell (Minnesota) in 1963 and Heisman Trophy-winner Mike Garrett (Los Angeles) in 1966. Bell and Robinson are now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and both Arbanas and Budde joined them on the all-time AFL team.

But it’s the players that the Texans – and later Chiefs – did not sign that could have turned AFL dominance into an NFL dynasty. Three of their draft picks were named to the NFL’s 100th anniversary team: defensive tackle Bob Lilly, running back Gale Sayers and quarterback Roger Staubach. All three have busts in Canton.

Imagine Lilly lining up next to fellow Hall of Fame defensive tackle Buck Buchanan in the 1960s … and Staubach quarterbacking the Chiefs in the 1970s with the same flair as he did the Cowboys that decade. He took Dallas to four Super Bowls, winning twice. Ed Podolak set an NFL playoff record with the Chiefs in 1971 when he gained 350 total yards on runs, receptions and kick returns against the Miami Dolphins. Imagine how many yards Sayers would have gained for the Chiefs on the same field that same day with the same blocking.

The Chiefs also lost out on linebacker Mike “Mad Dog” Curtis, a four-time Pro Bowler, to the Baltimore Colts. Imagine where he’d have fit in a linebacking crew that already featured two Hall of Famers, Bell and Willie Lanier. In addition, Texans/Chiefs draft picks Walt Garrison and Pettis Norman both went on to win Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys.

The Texans/Chiefs won 87 games in the 1960 decade and three AFL championships. They also won the last game ever played by Hunt’s league – the 1970 Super Bowl against the Minnesota Vikings. But the Chiefs were whipping the NFL long before they ever met them on the playing field.

It's my recollection that in regards to Sayers that there was no way in hell the NFL was going to let him go to the AFL/ Hunt/Chiefs so the owners pitched in and helped the Bears out bid  Hunt. I have really never heard anything about the others. In regards to missed opportunities I give you the 1983 QB draft. 

7 minutes ago, West said:

Intel.....

Good stuff.

Tony Dungy nailed it above....Open Draft of every NFL Player and Patrick Mahomes is the #1 pick 100 our of 100 times.

w

I'm not soo sure. Patrick had the benefit of a very good  QB/teacher for a year while he could sit and learn not to mention the tutelage of Andy.

The likes of Herbert and Allen where not so lucky as they where thrown in to the Lions Den right of the bat. You put either one of those 2 with MVPatrick's surrounding cast of Cheeta and Kelce. One might not get the instant gratification but I think overtime al 3 of those Qb's are going to be talked about in the same light as Marino, Elway etc etc. I have to wonder if Dungy's opinion will be the same in another 2-5 years.