Compensatory Picks

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah.  Use them to move up and get the OT we really want.  I'd say Jenkins.  And not just because he is from Topeka.

The fourth round comp pick would move the Chiefs up about two slots in the first round.  Unless their dream OT is there at #29, I don't see the reason to trade up.  Maybe use them in the second or third round to move up more spaces for a specific player.  Actually, the Chiefs need more picks so I hope Veach doesn't squander them to get another Speaks or Kpass.  

Not really a fan of moving up in 1st unless a can't miss OL drops to 30 or something so we would give up just a late pick but I wouldn't mind moving up with third day picks to get an extra pick on the second day. 4 picks in the first 3 rounds would get us a decent haul if used right. 

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

The fourth round comp pick would move the Chiefs up about two slots in the first round.  Unless their dream OT is there at #29, I don't see the reason to trade up.  Maybe use them in the second or third round to move up more spaces for a specific player.  Actually, the Chiefs need more picks so I hope Veach doesn't squander them to get another Speaks or Kpass.

I didn't realize that would only get us two spots.  You never know about Veach, though.  A guy from this area might accept a  cheaper second contract in several years just to stay here.  The picks would have to be packaged with somebody we don't want to let go....like Fisher or  Schwartz. Jenkins is a relentless and tough guy with top skills.

As long as we don't wait for a "project" like Cosmi.  We need someone now.

43 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I didn't realize that would only get us two spots.  You never know about Veach, though.  A guy from this area might accept a  cheaper second contract in several years just to stay here.  The picks would have to be packaged with somebody we don't want to let go....like Fisher or  Schwartz. Jenkins is a relentless and tough guy with top skills.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The draft trade charts aren't exact predictors, but the fact is that a late fourth is worth little in moving in the first round.  It would be more useful if, for example, the Chiefs had a WR they coveted in the mid/late third and traded the fourth to insure they got him.  Depending on who the Chiefs resign or pick up in FA, they have three or four definite needs from the draft.  O-line, DE, LB, and DB.  If Sorenson and Neiman are gone, then they need safeties of a specific type.  If they resign Breeland, the CB position is covered.  Same with Taco or even Sammy.  The projected health of the OTs is critical.  We just don't know enough to play GM with any accuracy.   So if they can keep three picks in the top hundred and two more in the 130s, they can upgrade the team at lower cost.

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The draft trade charts aren't exact predictors, but the fact is that a late fourth is worth little in moving in the first round.  It would be more useful if, for example, the Chiefs had a WR they coveted in the mid/late third and traded the fourth to insure they got him.  Depending on who the Chiefs resign or pick up in FA, they have three or four definite needs from the draft.  O-line, DE, LB, and DB.  If Sorenson and Neiman are gone, then they need safeties of a specific type.  If they resign Breeland, the CB position is covered.  Same with Taco or even Sammy.  The projected health of the OTs is critical.  We just don't know enough to play GM with any accuracy.   So if they can keep three picks in the top hundred and two more in the 130s, they can upgrade the team at lower cost.

Looks like my post was too late.  We just released both Fisher and Schwartz.

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

Are they working on these? I haven't seen anything

Not publicly.  What he is saying is we have options, easy ones to get under the cap and afford FA let alone signing our draft picks too. You could rework Chris Jones contract as another option to get even more money. 

58 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Are they working on these? I haven't seen anything

Who knows.  Pretty sure Veach understands there's a cap.  Not sure he believes it's real (spoiler alert:  it's not) but he at least is aware of it.

He won't announce anything until it's done.  Typically the only stuff that leaks out of Arrowhead is what they want out there.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:16 PM, jetlord said:

If we're talking about Jenkins, from what I've read, he's somewhere around a mid 2nd pick.   From a minimal amount of research, the theme seems to be that while he has the talent to play tackle at the next level, his footwork and lack of lateral speed leave him with a higher ceiling at guard.  Picking up a tackle at the back end of the first, and potentially dumping some later picks to get back up into the middle of the second round for Jenkins could be an interesting long term scenario for the Chiefs.   They could do a John Tait type scenario, start the 1st rounder at RT for a couple years.  Throw in Jenkins at RG, Niang at LG, and a FA veteran at LT for the short term, you could have a majorly upgraded line on the cheap with a high ceiling.  Jenkins could also be the answer at RT. There are a lot of possibilities. I could get on board with this. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

If we're talking about Jenkins, from what I've read, he's somewhere around a mid 2nd pick.   From a minimal amount of research, the theme seems to be that while he has the talent to play tackle at the next level, his footwork and lack of lateral speed leave him with a higher ceiling at guard.  Picking up a tackle at the back end of the first, and potentially dumping some later picks to get back up into the middle of the second round for Jenkins could be an interesting long term scenario for the Chiefs.   They could do a John Tait type scenario, start the 1st rounder at RT for a couple years.  Throw in Jenkins at RG, Niang at LG, and a FA veteran at LT for the short term, you could have a majorly upgraded line on the cheap with a high ceiling.  Jenkins could also be the answer at RT. There are a lot of possibilities. I could get on board with this. 

Isn't Jenkins projected as a OT going in the first round.  The Chiefs probably won't see him at $31.