Both Fisher and Schwartz released

1 minute ago, KC Warpaint said:

man i just saw this come across. are these both injury settlements???  

Wonder if it matters IF the docs say they both will be gtg by week 1 thus no need for settlements.  Still could see one or both get resigned at cheaper contract making players not care about a injury settlement 

Well I think we know that Niang has a job now. So the other tackle spot, and center now become a huge question mark. 

Realistically I guess they couldn't go into the season having expensive, aging vets with significant injury questions penciled in.

They need to know Pat will never have a repeat of the SB again. Not even in a week 1 matchup. 

12 minutes ago, Balto said:

This should gain us about $18M in cap.  Extend Honey Badger to gain another $10M and we are sitting well below the cap.

I do wonder if Veach had this planned along and actually resigns both or at least Fisher at a cheaper contract.

It takes two willing parties so i am guessing this has been in the works since the end of the season, let both player and agent know that yes we want you to remain with us but it ain't gonna happen at your current pricetag...could they both go somewhere else? probably but highly doubtful

FIsh posted this on Instagram, so maybe he is done in KC

“Catch and Release” Time to complete the second part of the play call. At the time, I thought the “catch” part of the play was going to be the hard part. Six months later that thought has changed. I have been released.

Rewind eight years, and there are a whole lot of memories that I’ll be blessed to take with me from my time in Kansas City. I’ll never forget landing at MCI the day after the draft and smiling because it felt like home. I’ll never forget running out of the tunnel for the first time to the loudest fans in the world. I’ll never forget the struggles that I faced that eventually built me into the man, and player that I am today. I’ll never forget bringing a playoff win home for the first time in twenty two years. I’ll never forget going on winning streaks that would make history. I’ll never forget the three AFC championship games in a row in Arrowhead Stadium.

I’ll never forget the clock hitting zero and that feeling of achieving the ultimate goal in football. I’ll never forget hearing Touchdown Kannnnnsas City with the ball in my hands.
That list could go on and on because we really did something special in those eight years. I wouldn’t change a thing. Mentally, I’m leaving knowing I have grown to be who I need to be. Physically, I’m leaving with my head held high, beat up but not down for the count. Spiritually, I couldn’t praise God enough for blessing my life in ways that I couldn’t have wrapped my brain around in a million years.

Unfortunately I knew this time would come at some point. Sooner than I would have chose, but another opportunity to beat the odds.

All good things must come to an end.

Thank you Kansas City.

Surprised to see both leave so soon, to be honest I expected Schwartz to stay in town as an insurance policy until TC but looks like they are already sold on Niang and possibly have someone else in mind at OT. Does this put us under the cap already or is there still some way to go for that? 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Surprised to see both leave so soon, to be honest I expected Schwartz to stay in town as an insurance policy until TC but looks like they are already sold on Niang and possibly have someone else in mind at OT. Does this put us under the cap already or is there still some way to go for that? 

I think Chiefs are still about 3 mil over. Extending Mathieu on a restructured deal will more than erase that. 

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I think Chiefs are still about 3 mil over. Extending Mathieu on a restructured deal will more than erase that. 

With HB's cap hit of 19 million we could get any LT we want on a 1-year rental after the restructure.  

Fish's statement certainly did not read like a person who  is looking to re-negotiate.. my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw this thread..Vech/Reid & co certainly must  have a grand scheme planned...man o man

on the bright side no moreTrade Fish  threads lol

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Fish's statement certainly did not read like a person who  is looking to negotiate.. my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw this thread..Vech/Reid & co surly have a grand scheme planned...man o man

Veach doesn't seem like the kinda guy to do this kind of moves without something going on.  Just a guess but probably a trade or a vet they know they can get for LT in FA.  Then Niang at RT then draft a couple more.

Balto may get his wish with Williams if they can afford him. 

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Fish's statement certainly did not read like a person who  is looking to re-negotiate.. my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw this thread..Vech/Reid & co certainly must  have a grand scheme planned...man o man

on the bright side no moreTrade Fish  threads lol

I don't think they really had a choice.  Fish blew an Achilles less than 2 months ago and Schwartz just had back surgery.  You can't really have them be the plan for 2021 tackles.  I'm sure they hated to have to do that. 

6 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Veach doesn't seem like the kinda guy to do this kind of moves without something going on.  Just a guess but probably a trade or a vet they know they can get for LT in FA.  Then Niang at RT then draft a couple more.

Balto may get his wish with Williams if they can afford him. 

Balto wanted to trade Fisher, they should probably do it for a conditional 7th or something just to grant his wish :D

I hate this for both dudes, as they were an important part of our SB run.   However, from a football perspective, this was a homerun by Veach.   You don't build dynasties on sentimentality.   Both were huge question marks and their contract outweighed their value by a lot.   You can't have 22 million tied into two 50/50 bookends.    We drafted Niang to be one and now we have a chance to build a young better oline.    I don't see bringing either back because both have dead money attached to their cut, even at $5 million per year, you are close to what Schwartz was already making and he would be the most logic one to bring back.  

Time to invest in oline in the draft and fill some holes with veteran leadership.   Protect Mahomes and we win that SB, Protect Mahomes and the D is good enough, Protect Mahomes and we are the next dynasty.   

30 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I hate this for both dudes, as they were an important part of our SB run.   However, from a football perspective, this was a homerun by Veach.   You don't build dynasties on sentimentality.   

Well said my brother.

Now if they go short term at LT and draft one to groom, who's the favorite to be that guy? Reiff has been an above average LT pretty much his whole career. As has Peters. Or do we go big and chase Trent Williams or Villanueva?

Or do they say fuck it, and draft a stud LT rd 1 and throw him into the fire?

Man I love football.

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well said my brother.

Now if they go short term at LT and draft one to groom, who's the favorite to be that guy? Reiff has been an above average LT pretty much his whole career. As has Peters. Or do we go big and chase Trent Williams or Villanueva?

Or do they say fuck it, and draft a stud LT rd 1 and throw him into the fire?

Man I love football.

This is such a fun time of the year.   I was really wondering what Veach was going to do here.   If he made this move that means no one is safe.  He will make moves he thinks will better the team regardless who you are and I love that about him.  Doesn't mean he will always make the right call but he is making logical and difficult ones now.   

Yeah I think Reiff and Peters are both options.  I forgot about Reiff and he said he would be willing to play guard if it helped the team.  Guys like that will love playing for a winning team and if they draft a developmental guy they can swap spots in a year.   

I like Peters too but wonder if he can last another year at 39.....dude was a monster though.

Trent Brown was my FA crush and I think he's worth the 3-4 year 60-80 million deal but I don't know if we can afford that unless Reid and Co are ready to draft 2 high end IOLs.   Brown - Draft - Draft - LDT/Allegretti - Niang is a little scary.

Just now, Troyofoc said:

Ried statements of he wishes them the best in there careers scares me thinking that Wiley will be manning the right.

Nah, if they just cut those two guys at the front end of FA they have a plan and it's not Wylie at RT.     That move today was cold, calculated, businesslike and necessary.   

56 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Balto wanted to trade Fisher, they should probably do it for a conditional 7th or something just to grant his wish :D

I wanted Veach to trade him before last season when he had value.  Guess I wasn't wrong 

29 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Nah, if they just cut those two guys at the front end of FA they have a plan and it's not Wylie at RT.     That move today was cold, calculated, businesslike and necessary.   

True. I don't see Veach making such a move without confirmation from Hunt and there's no way he wants Wylie in front of his half-billion investment.