Both Fisher and Schwartz released

Why did Veach do his announcement about Schwartz and Fish being ready for TC?  Didn't seem logical at the time ad doesn't make sense now.  Probably both were released because the Chiefs are a little behind on renegotiating the cap down and they have to meet the cap numbers by next Weds.  This may allow them a little wiggle room to avoid cutting anyone else and resign a few of their own FAs such as Taco or Breeland.  With or without a major FA signing at OT, this certainly reinforces the need to go OT in the first round of the draft.    

The way that Veach started they will both be part of the Chiefs history indicates to me that this is not one of those "we make look at you later on the cheap" route deals. He's looking ahead, period.

Really sucks to the degree injuries happen and they were cornerstone to the line. But shit happens and the show goes on. Took years to get a good RT... now we need an entire line hahaha

Start Niang at RT

Sign Roderick Johnson to LT

Draft a future guy to learn or if he beats out johnson then Johnson is a swing guy

LT- Johnson

LG- Rankin

C - Allegretti 

RG Durant

RT- Niang

A RG should be looked at in the draft

11 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

Looked at another site and people honestly think that the chiefs have nothing in the works and that it was a bad move to release both

I don't know how you couldn't trust Reid and Veach still,  with these kind of moves

33 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

Looked at another site and people honestly think that the chiefs have nothing in the works and that it was a bad move to release both

Let them think what they want... had Veech or Reid ever put out an uncompetitive team? Nobody is touching Fish for a year so how is releasing him a negative? Schwartz is the unknown, really could go either way, but it's going to take time to heal and get in game shape. So again, what were we to do? Keep a name to have a name around? 

4 hours ago, Balto said:

This should gain us about $18M in cap.  Extend Honey Badger to gain another $10M and we are sitting well below the cap.

I do wonder if Veach had this planned along and actually resigns both or at least Fisher at a cheaper contract.

Also can get 17 million more with Mahomes by converting his to signing bonus. I think we go after Williams at LT and roll with Niang at RT. Draft a Center and good to go. Also can see us going after TE, DE, LB or WR in FA as a second big signing.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Fish's statement certainly did not read like a person who  is looking to re-negotiate.. my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw this thread..Vech/Reid & co certainly must  have a grand scheme planned...man o man

on the bright side no moreTrade Fish  threads lol

He is speaking to you Balto. Lol

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Why did Veach do his announcement about Schwartz and Fish being ready for TC?  Didn't seem logical at the time ad doesn't make sense now.  Probably both were released because the Chiefs are a little behind on renegotiating the cap down and they have to meet the cap numbers by next Weds.  This may allow them a little wiggle room to avoid cutting anyone else and resign a few of their own FAs such as Taco or Breeland.  With or without a major FA signing at OT, this certainly reinforces the need to go OT in the first round of the draft.    

To give them a chance to play. Other teams will give them a look and cutting them now will give them time to find another team. Classy.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Also can get 17 million more with Mahomes by converting his to signing bonus. I think we go after Williams at LT and roll with Niang at RT. Draft a Center and good to go. Also can see us going after TE, DE, LB or WR in FA as a second big signing.

Is paying Williams the smart thing? Get into a bidding war with SF, and end up spending 50 mill over 3 yrs. Then the 33 year old tears his acl in camp.

The rest of the offseason would be digging for scraps as he'd take the bulk of our cap space. 

It's an incredibly deep tackle class. Sign a 1 yr like Reiff or Okung and draft one with upside that will be on a rookie contract.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Is paying Williams the smart thing? Get into a bidding war with SF, and end up spending 50 mill over 3 yrs. Then the 33 year old tears his acl in camp.

The rest of the offseason would be digging for scraps as he'd take the bulk of our cap space. 

It's an incredibly deep tackle class. Sign a 1 yr like Reiff or Okung and draft one with upside that will be on a rookie contract.

Well depends on what they think will be there too. If you can get a guy for 4 years now and playing at a high level, I think you do it. SF has shit for cap space. If not Williams there are others as shown still. I think we get a high C pick and them go with a T when we can get one. If not, always future drafts. Other side is they may go cheap on a one year deal and spend on DE, WR or TE. Some good players will be cut.

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think we could just offer a fair contract and if he wants a super bowl he takes it. Don't get into a bidding war.  

I like Roderick Johnson as a back up.  Still young,  25, and has played both sides so he could be a swing tackle too if a rookie beats him out

4 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I don't think they really had a choice.  Fish blew an Achilles less than 2 months ago and Schwartz just had back surgery.  You can't really have them be the plan for 2021 tackles.  I'm sure they hated to have to do that. 

Yep. They didn't want to release them. They had to. They have a team to run.

I wish both of them the best.

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Hopefully Wylie isn’t manning a tollbooth, let alone any spot on our line next year.

actually as easily as he let the Bucs past him, he'd be the perfect person to have at the toll booth... getting through would be a breeze.