Both Fisher and Schwartz released

54 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Is paying Williams the smart thing? Get into a bidding war with SF, and end up spending 50 mill over 3 yrs. Then the 33 year old tears his acl in camp.

The rest of the offseason would be digging for scraps as he'd take the bulk of our cap space. 

It's an incredibly deep tackle class. Sign a 1 yr like Reiff or Okung and draft one with upside that will be on a rookie contract.

I interpret "deep class" as in a lot of high level talent, not meaning picking up some dude in the 5th round and referring to him as being talented because he came from a deep class.  If you're going to commit a pick in the first two rounds of the draft to a tackle, just throw him in there instead of wasting money on a 1 year contract.  If it really is a deep tackle class, then I take that as we should be able to pick up a day 1 starter at the end of the 1st round.  

23 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I interpret "deep class" as in a lot of high level talent, not meaning picking up some dude in the 5th round and referring to him as being talented because he came from a deep class.  If you're going to commit a pick in the first two rounds of the draft to a tackle, just throw him in there instead of wasting money on a 1 year contract.  If it really is a deep tackle class, then I take that as we should be able to pick up a day 1 starter at the end of the 1st round.  

The problem may be that we need a young left tackle (i think Niang should probably be a RT).  That day 1 starter might not be there.  I would guess they won't.  Right tackle, yes.  Versatile tackle/guards, probably yes.  LT's that may need a year, also yes.  Day 1 LT, probably not.

4 minutes ago, xen said:

The problem may be that we need a young left tackle  agree (i think Niang should probably be a RT) agree. That day 1 starter might not be there agree also.  I would guess they won't.  Right tackle, yes.  Versatile tackle/guards, probably yes agreeLT's that may need a year, also yes agreeDay 1 LT, probably not. agree

I agree with everything you said.  And I have documented it in the above post. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

To give them a chance to play. Other teams will give them a look and cutting them now will give them time to find another team. Classy.

Possibly, but if they were ready to play this fall, would the Chiefs have released both of them  If they're not, why would another team hire them?  I think the injuries and rehab aren't what Veach led us to believe last week.  

37 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Take it however you want. If there's going to be 6 -8 OTs going in rd 1,  I consider it deep. 

47 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Take it however you want. If there's going to be 6 -8 OTs going in rd 1,  I consider it deep. 

I think 4 to 6 but there may be a run in tackles too. I don't now if one will be there in the 2nd for starting capability for our pick? Personally it would be nice to trade back and get a high 2nd and another pick if so. 

Not a huge fan of going into the season with the majority of the line likely to be rookies, but not much we can do. It's what it is. Niang should be RT, but does he have the toughness physically and mentally? Chose to sit out and miss the chance to play on a SB team likely to repeat. Sure some don't agree with that perspective, but that's how I see it unless he's high risk and not aware. 

1 minute ago, gochiefsgo said:

When it comes to the draft, would anyone be upset if Veach drafted nothing but oline for like the first three rounds? I’m just saying. 

I would be fine if we did this. Would like to see WR and TE them from FA though then too. Look at LB and DE are other options. I think we get 2 higher FAs with a couple good solid pick ups for young guys needing a 2nd chance or new scheme. Then on to the draft.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Also can get 17 million more with Mahomes by converting his to signing bonus. I think we go after Williams at LT and roll with Niang at RT. Draft a Center and good to go. Also can see us going after TE, DE, LB or WR in FA as a second big signing.

Get out of my DREAMS!

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/11/22325416/four-free-agent-options-for-chiefs-to-replace-eric-fisher-and-mitchell-schwartz

Let’s go through four possibilities to replace Fisher and Schwartz at the tackle position:

Trent Williams

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ersKyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Williams was considered one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL in 2020, as he has been for most of his career. He’ll be 33 soon, but that won’t drive his price tag down. Spotrac projects that his market value is a salary of over $18 million annually. For comparison, Indianapolis Colts’ tackle Anthony Castonzo signed a two-year deal for $16.5 million annually at age 31 recently.

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION

Michael Vick's iconic run deserves a deep rewind

1_th.jpg?crop=328:185,smart&width=328&he

He’d be a dream addition for the Chiefs as their young offensive tackles get their feet under them more. It sounds like he might return to the San Francisco 49ers, but the Chiefs have the cap space to aggressively attack the signing now.

Riley Reiff

NFL: NFC Divisional Playoff-New Orleans Saints at Minnesota VikingsMark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Turning 33 next season, Reiff isn’t as exciting of a signing as the 33-year-old Williams. He’s been a solid starting left tackle for the Minnesota Vikings for a big chunk of his career, averaging an annual salary of $11.75 million over the last four seasons. He was cut from the team this offseason and could be a short-term solution for a starter.

For how serviceable Mike Remmers was in 2020, Reiff could probably be an even better, more consistent version. He’s been a very durable player throughout his career.

Daryl Williams

Los Angeles Rams v Buffalo BillsPhoto by Timothy T Ludwig/Getty Images

Williams held down the right tackle spot for the Buffalo Bills in 2020, helping that passing offense take the leaps it did. He’ll be 29 by the start of next season, so he’ll be looking for a long-term contract as he’s one of the youngest in his position on the market.

Since tearing his MCL before the 2018 season, Williams has slowly ascended back to an above-average starter — which there is not a lot of at his position. He may be hitting his stride again as a player after recovering from a severe injury and would be a more proven long-term solution than an in-house option or a draft pick.

Alejandro Villanueva

NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo BillsRich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

After being a staple at left tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers for six seasons, Villanueva is on the market — and most likely a well-sought after player. Spotrac projects that his market value will be an annual salary of $16.5 million.

He’s been a consistent, important piece of the pass protection for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is the type of quarterback that makes it more difficult for his blockers by holding it too long and not being mobile. Patrick Mahomes has his own pocket presence issues at times, but nothing like what Villanueva’s been dealing with.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/11/22325416/four-free-agent-options-for-chiefs-to-replace-eric-fisher-and-mitchell-schwartz

Let’s go through four possibilities to replace Fisher and Schwartz at the tackle position:

Trent Williams

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ersKyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Williams was considered one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL in 2020, as he has been for most of his career. He’ll be 33 soon, but that won’t drive his price tag down. Spotrac projects that his market value is a salary of over $18 million annually. For comparison, Indianapolis Colts’ tackle Anthony Castonzo signed a two-year deal for $16.5 million annually at age 31 recently.

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION

Michael Vick's iconic run deserves a deep rewind

1_th.jpg?crop=328:185,smart&width=328&he

He’d be a dream addition for the Chiefs as their young offensive tackles get their feet under them more. It sounds like he might return to the San Francisco 49ers, but the Chiefs have the cap space to aggressively attack the signing now.

Riley Reiff

NFL: NFC Divisional Playoff-New Orleans Saints at Minnesota VikingsMark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Turning 33 next season, Reiff isn’t as exciting of a signing as the 33-year-old Williams. He’s been a solid starting left tackle for the Minnesota Vikings for a big chunk of his career, averaging an annual salary of $11.75 million over the last four seasons. He was cut from the team this offseason and could be a short-term solution for a starter.

For how serviceable Mike Remmers was in 2020, Reiff could probably be an even better, more consistent version. He’s been a very durable player throughout his career.

Daryl Williams

Los Angeles Rams v Buffalo BillsPhoto by Timothy T Ludwig/Getty Images

Williams held down the right tackle spot for the Buffalo Bills in 2020, helping that passing offense take the leaps it did. He’ll be 29 by the start of next season, so he’ll be looking for a long-term contract as he’s one of the youngest in his position on the market.

Since tearing his MCL before the 2018 season, Williams has slowly ascended back to an above-average starter — which there is not a lot of at his position. He may be hitting his stride again as a player after recovering from a severe injury and would be a more proven long-term solution than an in-house option or a draft pick.

Alejandro Villanueva

NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo BillsRich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

After being a staple at left tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers for six seasons, Villanueva is on the market — and most likely a well-sought after player. Spotrac projects that his market value will be an annual salary of $16.5 million.

He’s been a consistent, important piece of the pass protection for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is the type of quarterback that makes it more difficult for his blockers by holding it too long and not being mobile. Patrick Mahomes has his own pocket presence issues at times, but nothing like what Villanueva’s been dealing with.

Of course Trent Williams is my 1st BUT if not him I'd be fine with a Villanueva stop gap.

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Not a huge fan of going into the season with the majority of the line likely to be rookies, but not much we can do. It's what it is. Niang should be RT, but does he have the toughness physically and mentally? Chose to sit out and miss the chance to play on a SB team likely to repeat. Sure some don't agree with that perspective, but that's how I see it unless he's high risk and not aware. 

If rather have the rookie than Reiter,  Wylie,  and Remmers starting again.  Or two vets that might not even get on the field. 

Covid affected everyone differently.  To question toughness of that decision is weak. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I get that.  What I'm saying is, if there's an OT good enough to spend a rd 1 pick on, why not just put him in there rather than signing a one year guy like Okung?

13 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I get that.  What I'm saying is, if there's an OT good enough to spend a rd 1 pick on, why not just put him in there rather than signing a one year guy like Okung?

I agree. Completely. But Reid has displayed that he is one of many coaches who will go with a veteran over a much more talented young player, because vets make him sleep better at night.

You know Reids nature to 🐢 with leads. I believe this to be the exact same feeling for him. I think his butthole clenches tight enough to double as a cigar cutter at the idea of a young player missing an assignment that cost him a game. 

There's no other way to explain his personnel decisions. Willie Gay could be out there with both legs through one side of his pants and make more plays then Ben Niemann.

He was perfectly comfortable rolling with Remmers at LT for the first time since 2016, Wylie at RT for the second time in his career, and Stefan Wisniewski at RG in his second start of the entire year, in the God damn SB!! 

So I personally am fine with 2 or 3 rookies starting on the line week 1. But I bet Reid isnt.

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I agree. Completely. But Reid has displayed that he is one of many coaches who will go with a veteran over a much more talented young player, because vets make him sleep better at night.

You know Reids nature to 🐢 with leads. I believe this to be the exact same feeling for him. I think his butthole clenches tight enough to double as a cigar cutter at the idea of a young player missing an assignment that cost him a game. 

There's no other way to explain his personnel decisions. Willie Gay could be out there with both legs through one side of his pants and make more plays then Ben Niemann.

He was perfectly comfortable rolling with Remmers at LT for the first time since 2016, Wylie at RT for the second time in his career, and Stefan Wisniewski at RG in his second start of the entire year, in the God damn SB!! 

So I personally am fine with 2 or 3 rookies starting on the line week 1. But I bet Reid isnt.

As of right now I don't think we will have that many rookies.  So getting a rookie LT isn't that bad. 

LT- Rookie

LG- Rankin

C- Allegretti 

RG- LDT

RT- Niang 

I'd like to see LDT replaced. 

And I'm with you I don't mind the rookies playing.  But I do think Reid does.  Even if the rookies are better than a Wylie or Reiter. LDT was making rookies mistakes his last year.  Guy struggles to pick up stunts

17 minutes ago, Palangi said:

As of right now I don't think we will have that many rookies.  So getting a rookie LT isn't that bad. 

LT- Rookie

LG- Rankin

C- Allegretti 

RG- LDT

RT- Niang 

I'd like to see LDT replaced. 

And I'm with you I don't mind the rookies playing.  But I do think Reid does.  Even if the rookies are better than a Wylie or Reiter. LDT was making rookies mistakes his last year.  Guy struggles to pick up stunts

I'm thinking more like...

Reiff

Rankin/Allegretti/early pick

Linsley

LDT

Niang

With that LG early pick being someone versatile that can take over LT after Reiffs 1 yr.

Again I have no reason to think this. I just feel like Veach is going to get the best center on the market. Our anchor. Our leader. 

God, the thought of LDT starting is enough to make me want to vomit.  Dude wasn't that good to begin with, and now he just took an entire year off.  I get that not giving him back his job goes against the social issues of our time, but I wasn't impressed with him before he decided to opt out for a full season.  Now he's a year older.