Both Fisher and Schwartz released

30 minutes ago, moons314 said:

God, the thought of LDT starting is enough to make me want to vomit.  Dude wasn't that good to begin with, and now he just took an entire year off.  I get that not giving him back his job goes against the social issues of our time, but I wasn't impressed with him before he decided to opt out for a full season.  Now he's a year older.  

Yeah his last game was the SB, where he pretty clearly had the worst performance of any of the 5. He had his ass handed to him. But he is a vet. And vets make Reid sleep well.

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Is paying Williams the smart thing? Get into a bidding war with SF, and end up spending 50 mill over 3 yrs. Then the 33 year old tears his acl in camp.

The rest of the offseason would be digging for scraps as he'd take the bulk of our cap space. 

It's an incredibly deep tackle class. Sign a 1 yr like Reiff or Okung and draft one with upside that will be on a rookie contract.

3 years at 17 million a year.....sign me up today!    Reiff or Okung are gonna cost ~10 million.     To me I'd rather have the elite guy at 17 per than the avg guy at 10.  Reiff or Okung could both tear their ACL in camp as well which would put us in the same situation.    I still think we should draft a developmental player too.

12 hours ago, Balto said:

I wanted Veach to trade him before last season when he had value.  Guess I wasn't wrong 

Ugh, this line WITHOUT Fisher, we’ll, we saw what happens. Thinking about that if it happened earlier in the year.

We would have lost many more games. Would we have even returned to the AFC championship game?

40 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

Ugh, this line WITHOUT Fisher, we’ll, we saw what happens. Thinking about that if it happened earlier in the year.

We would have lost many more games. Would we have even returned to the AFC championship game?

Agree 100% and is exactly why I wanted Veach to trade him AND spend that $16+ million on multiple OL spots along with a young stud LT.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

3 years at 17 million a year.....sign me up today!    Reiff or Okung are gonna cost ~10 million.     To me I'd rather have the elite guy at 17 per than the avg guy at 10.  Reiff or Okung could both tear their ACL in camp as well which would put us in the same situation.    I still think we should draft a developmental player too.

I say 4 years for $70M, that can be cut after 3.  That’s $17.5M avg

25 minutes ago, Balto said:

I say 4 years for $70M, that can be cut after 3.  That’s $17.5M avg

He may come cheaper. He may know that a chance to get his last 3 year contract with a great chance for a ring might be worth less. Maybe 15 to 16 million per year. If he signs with the Jets at 3 years 54 mil, 18 per season, then we will know it was all about money. We could throw some incentives in there too for making AFC championship, SB etc and amount played to keep him motivated to win and play. 

13 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He may come cheaper. He may know that a chance to get his last 3 year contract with a great chance for a ring might be worth less. Maybe 15 to 16 million per year. If he signs with the Jets at 3 years 54 mil, 18 per season, then we will know it was all about money. We could throw some incentives in there too for making AFC championship, SB etc and amount played to keep him motivated to win and play. 

I think on a three-year deal you are getting 2 elite years and that last year is probably on par with Fisher.   Either way it falls in line with the rookies we draft and Niang who will be getting close to their 2nd contract.   Imagine finding a stud LG next to him....those 3rd and shorts a defense would have no clue how to stop us.

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think on a three-year deal you are getting 2 elite years and that last year is probably on par with Fisher.   Either way it falls in line with the rookies we draft and Niang who will be getting close to their 2nd contract.   Imagine finding a stud LG next to him....those 3rd and shorts a defense would have no clue how to stop us.

If Niang is good at RT and say we get Williams, I think a stud center is what we need. Allegretti showed he could hold his own and we have many competing for RG. With great tackles in the outside and a stud in the middle,  we can have average guards to do a good job.

Not a fan of starting rookies or unproven youngsters all over so I wouldn't mind getting some veterans in the mix. Even LDT seems like a decent stopgap option if he can get back in his 2019 form which is definitely an upgrade over what we have now. 

Regardless with all the injuries we have been suffering I think OL should still be the top priority in the draft. IMO the only thing that should vary is the priority of specific OL positions such as OG/OC over OT if we get a decent LT via FA, etc. We definitely need to invest high picks on 3 linemen as even if we have some stopgaps we'll need players to take over in 2022 if not sooner. 

2 hours ago, mex said:

So who was blaming Pat?  Both Fisher and Schwartz seemed to take their releases in stride and until Veach had his news conference two weeks ago, many assumed they could be released.  The Chiefs had to get younger and do it cheaply at least by 2022 and if they couldn't play this fall, the solution was obvious.  The talk is that Schwartz is retiring and with a bad back, who would blame him.  Fisher will find a job next year if he wants one.  No blame to be had. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not a fan of starting rookies or unproven youngsters all over so I wouldn't mind getting some veterans in the mix. Even LDT seems like a decent stopgap option if he can get back in his 2019 form which is definitely an upgrade over what we have now. 

Regardless with all the injuries we have been suffering I think OL should still be the top priority in the draft. IMO the only thing that should vary is the priority of specific OL positions such as OG/OC over OT if we get a decent LT via FA, etc. We definitely need to invest high picks on 3 linemen as even if we have some stopgaps we'll need players to take over in 2022 if not sooner. 

I'm sticking with the hope of a first round LT and a second day OC.  A vet OT would certainly be useful, but not at the price mentioned above.  Remmers did okay filling in for Schwartz and I don't hold his SB performance against him.  Resign him cheap as the swing again.  Allegretti, Rankin, LDT, and Durant can play the guards positions as well or better than the OG play last season.  If the Chiefs find a vet stop gap OT, they could draft someone like Little who might need more time to get up to speed  Without a quality vet, Eichenberg probably could start from the beginning although his upside might be lower.  If the Chiefs whiff on Humphrey or Dickerson in the second, then Meyer or Meinerz will be there in the third.  Any of them would be an improvement over Reiter who apparently was told he won't be resigned.  The Chiefs can live with a rookie OC and a possible rookie at LT.  There will be some whiffs and holding calls, but the run game will be instantly improved and the line will be young and not break the bank.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'm sticking with the hope of a first round LT and a second day OC.  A vet OT would certainly be useful, but not at the price mentioned above.  Remmers did okay filling in for Schwartz and I don't hold his SB performance against him.  Resign him cheap as the swing again.  Allegretti, Rankin, LDT, and Durant can play the guards positions as well or better than the OG play last season.  If the Chiefs find a vet stop gap OT, they could draft someone like Little who might need more time to get up to speed  Without a quality vet, Eichenberg probably could start from the beginning although his upside might be lower.  If the Chiefs whiff on Humphrey or Dickerson in the second, then Meyer or Meinerz will be there in the third.  Any of them would be an improvement over Reiter who apparently was told he won't be resigned.  The Chiefs can live with a rookie OC and a possible rookie at LT.  There will be some whiffs and holding calls, but the run game will be instantly improved and the line will be young and not break the bank.  

You dint hold his SB performance against him? Who exactly do you blame? His wife? Neighbor?

Resigning him as the swing tackle means he would be our starting LT again if ours went down. What kind of sense does this make?

Mike Remmers should never play LT in an NFL game again. 

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So who was blaming Pat?

click on the tweet and you'll see

EDIT: nevermind... the complainer deleted the tweet after he got blasted by Schwartz

it was some sports writer saying "Mahomes' greed will shorten his career because they can't afford protection"

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You dint hold his SB performance against him? Who exactly do you blame? His wife? Neighbor?

Resigning him as the swing tackle means he would be our starting LT again if ours went down. What kind of sense does this make?

Remmers was yanked from the position he had been playing and moved to LT against a top defensive line.  The rest of the Chiefs line was ineffective as well.  Okay, Remmers played poorly, but under the circumstances, what would one expect?  It wasn't all his fault.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I didn't really like Remmers much. He was better than others on the line but simply thinnest kid at fat camp. I don't know where they slot Niang but could be RT.

A first day LT and a second day OC makes a lot of sense as that's where the real value seems to be, don't know much about who'll be available at #31 but depending on the players they should prioritize the positions. I don't think passing on OC prospects in second round is really an option. Veach has been doing that for quite a while and we have a half-billion QB that's trying to be ready by TC. 

The stopgaps, assuming they find some, will just allow the youngsters to have some time before taking over. Any position on the line that we don't invest in FA for a long term is still the highest priority for this team. 

8 minutes ago, mex said:

click on the tweet and you'll see

EDIT: nevermind... the complainer deleted the tweet after he got blasted by Schwartz

it was some sports writer saying "Mahomes' greed will shorten his career because they can't afford protection"

Mahomes' greed?  Wonder what that same writer thinks of the Dak Prescott contract or what he'll say about Watson bailing on HOU or LJ8 when he signs soon.  Mahomes' contract is crazy, but it's in line with others and may appear a very good deal for the Chiefs 8-10 years from now. 

7 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I didn't really like Remmers much. He was better than others on the line but simply thinnest kid at fat camp. I don't know where they slot Niang but could be RT.

A first day LT and a second day OC makes a lot of sense as that's where the real value seems to be, don't know much about who'll be available at #31 but depending on the players they should prioritize the positions. I don't think passing on OC prospects in second round is really an option. Veach has been doing that for quite a while and we have a half-billion QB that's trying to be ready by TC. 

The stopgaps, assuming they find some, will just allow the youngsters to have some time before taking over. Any position on the line that we don't invest in FA for a long term is still the highest priority for this team. 

For now, we can assume that Veach had a plan or else he knew for sure that Fisher and Schwartz wouldn't play the majority of the games this fall.  It may be a second tier OT, but there's most likely a firm plan. 

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Remmers was yanked from the position he had been playing and moved to LT against a top defensive line.  The rest of the Chiefs line was ineffective as well.  Okay, Remmers played poorly, but under the circumstances, what would one expect?  It wasn't all his fault.

According to PFT they are working to resign him. 

39 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes' greed?  Wonder what that same writer thinks of the Dak Prescott contract or what he'll say about Watson bailing on HOU or LJ8 when he signs soon.  Mahomes' contract is crazy, but it's in line with others and may appear a very good deal for the Chiefs 8-10 years from now. 

yep... which is why Schwartz took offense...

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Remmers was never meant to be the swing tackle.  He was meant to be backup IOL.  Only the circumstances dictated he play there and only because we had no options.  Remmers proved to be a good backup RT and IOL so I'd be fine with resigning him.  Frankly he played better for us than he did for the Giants.

15 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

I mean... is Wylie someone you want to watch over LDT? He may be over payed, but everyone would prefer him over Wylie... at least I hope.

Neither should be on the roster when the season starts.  It's not an either or.  I'm hoping the doctor decides to retire and makes the Chiefs' decision for them.