Thuney signed

Chiefs signed LG Joe Thuney, formerly of the Patriots, to a five-year, $80 million contract.

Thuney gets $48 million in practical guarantees over the first three seasons.. The Chiefs gutted their entire offensive line this offseason, so a splash move like this one was desperately needed. Thuney, 28, was considered to be the top interior offensive line free agent this offseason and offers All-Pro upside in the short term. He was a reliable starter in all five seasons with the Patriots at multiple positions after being a third-rounder in 2016. Kansas City is still looking for a center and at least one more offensive tackle, but this is an excellent answer to the Chiefs' offensive line issues.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well do we make another splash for the o line? Or go in wanting to draft the rest? Jeep him at G it do we use him at C? If Guard we still need a tackle for sure and C?

You know Kyle, if they signed Kyle Long at RG, and had Thuney at LG, it would make a lot of sense to...

Wait for it...

Slide Allegretti over to center. 

Thuney, 28, first entered the league as a third-round pick made by the New England Patriots in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-5, 308-pound offensive lineman primarily played left guard as a member of the New England Patriots, though he started two games at center due to injury in 2020 while playing left tackle at practice. He also played some tackle during his tenure at NC State.

17 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You know Kyle, if they signed Kyle Long at RG, and had Thuney at LG, it would make a lot of sense to...

Wait for it...

That would work!  

A GREAT signing.  Brian Waters quality. No one like him since BW.  

Interior O-line now much, much better. A real pocket for Mahomes and running lanes to the left for CEH.

Would of rather signed Corey Linsley for 5 years @ $62.5M BUT who knows if he wanted to play in KC and I'm still very happy about Thuney!  Thuney brings durability and the ability to throw him at any spot on the OL if needed!

I approve. I am a big advocate of pay Defensive Tackles and not defensive ends on the other side of the ball. Similarly, I would rather have a beast interior 3 on the O Line and be average at tackle. Its all about stopping the push up the middle. Our Qb is good enough to get the ball out in time or scramble to minimize edge rush.

In the event the Chiefs find some quality guards and move Thuney to tackle, that would be acceptable as well. Although I 100% expect either Fischer, Shwartz, or both, to be back on the team around week 10 on a minimum type contract.

43 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Wait for it...

Maybe. As I said I will eat crow for it. I just don't see it. Maybe Thuney plays center? He has before. I think we draft one and do so either trading up in the 2nd or trading our first and slide back for more picks. I can see us going after LT now in FA and possibly a LB, TE or DE

Man I love me some Veach! This guys knows the O Line was hot garbage and so he disassembles and gets right after it. Just like he did with the defense and letting go Houston Berry and Ford. I love his dedication to the fixing what's wrong.

Keep it rolling Veach. So every other GM how its done.

8 minutes ago, xen said:

Ok well wow on Thuney.  Best fa linemen considering his age but I didn't think we'd spend that much on an olineman.  

Hell, I don’t care.  As long as Veach brought in one blue chip guy to lead the others.  

Great signing of a versatile lineman.  He is what Jalen Mayfield or Vera-Tucker could have been for us.  With versatility added, Veach can now draft a starting Center, sign a stopgap LT and develop PTW.  Or, move up and draft a starting LT and let Allegretti and Williams compete for Center.  Of course, he could still sign Trent Williams.  Then it is BPA in the draft.

9 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Hell, I don’t care.  As long as Veach brought in one blue chip guy to lead the others.  

Great signing of a versatile lineman.  He is what Jalen Mayfield or Vera-Tucker could have been for us.  With versatility added, Veach can now draft a starting Center, sign a stopgap LT and develop PTW.  Or, move up and draft a starting LT and let Allegretti and Williams compete for Center.  Of course, he could still sign Trent Williams.  Then it is BPA in the draft.

I hope they are not counting on drafting an immediate starter. Should be plenty of decent  linemen available on the cheap once the first RUSH is over. Id like to see those early 1 & 2 picks defense. Last few years was offense early.

I dont like the big money free agent signings. Maybe 1 out of 5 works out. KC won the SB so the Clark signing , not to mention the picks, worked out. If KC had not won the SB many would be up in arms about Clark. Huge investment with a just OK return. Short term it worked out. Good thing Jimmy G missed Sanders on that TD Pass. Long term has not worked out.