Thuney signed

More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs: Signing bonus: $17M Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M. KC still has room to work with in free agency.

WOW so only $4.5M cap hit for this year!  Veach has room for another stud!

Just now, Balto said:
More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs: Signing bonus: $17M Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M. KC still has room to work with in free agency.

WOW so only $4.5M cap hit for this year!  Veach has room for another stud!

Didn't think we'd spend that much , but he started in 3 straight Super Bowls. Need that experience in the trenches.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Time to get a LT or maybe one of our other spots of need. TE, LB or pass rusher.

Should still be around $15MM minus tenders and draft picks.  They should also be working on an extension for Matthieu that would clear another $15MM.  

5 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

I read a rumor that KC and SF are front runners to land Trent Williams.

Its from a website called the Spun, FWIW.

Yeah KC is in on him. I bet it is quiet as teams are vying for him. Chiefs reportedly willing to up to 20 million to sign him per year. Also saw with Thuney signing and all the restructures we have around 29 million left.

Plenty to sign him, extend HB and still go after othe players in need. Saw a tweet we are interested in one of the best slot corners Mike Hilton.

I like the signing.  We need to address the tackles now.  I'm assuming this means our projected left guard of the future, Niang or whatever his name was, now moves over to the right side?  This offense, if it gets a solid line in front of the Franchise, it becomes unstoppable.  

Interesting signing. 

Could be be the center?  He would be solid and could really anchor the middle of the line. 

Could be start LG? Would definitely alleviate some concern of a rookie like Cosmi starting off Thuney is next to him. 

4 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Interesting signing. 

Could be be the center?  He would be solid and could really anchor the middle of the line. 

Could be start LG? Would definitely alleviate some concern of a rookie like Cosmi starting off Thuney is next to him. 

We have been wanting a stud LG for years with Fisher but now he is gone.  Going to help a lot if we draft a LT with him at LG. Unless they want him at C then no clue what we will do.

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We have been wanting a stud LG for years with Fisher but now he is gone.  Going to help a lot if we draft a LT with him at LG. Unless they want him at C then no clue what we will do.

You make a good point.  I think the steady veteran at LG makes the drafting of a LT more likely. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah KC is in on him. I bet it is quiet as teams are vying for him. Chiefs reportedly willing to up to 20 million to sign him per year. Also saw with Thuney signing and all the restructures we have around 29 million left.

Plenty to sign him, extend HB and still go after othe players in need. Saw a tweet we are interested in one of the best slot corners Mike Hilton.

Now that would be a great underrated signing.  Hilton is a year to year dependable slot at a position that is usually very much up and down historically.  The guy is a stud.  Can play man and zone.  Spags' kind of corner except for the length.  That also let's Sneed stay outside where he can do a lot of damage.  Hope this goes down.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

You make a good point.  I think the steady veteran at LG makes the drafting of a LT more likely. 

Would the ideal situation be to sign a second tier FA OT and draft the permanent OT of the future?  That's, of course, assuming they don't end up with Williams.  Also draft an OC early.  I don't share the optimism of moving Allegretti to OC.  He might be acceptable there, but he wasn't all that great at LG and in two years he couldn't beat out Reiter.  There's a reason he lasted until the seventh round.  At the most, I'd consider Allegretti competition, backup, or a stop gap for a rookie OC.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Would the ideal situation be to sign a second tier FA OT and draft the permanent OT of the future?  That's, of course, assuming they don't end up with Williams.  Also draft an OC early.  I don't share the optimism of moving Allegretti to OC.  He might be acceptable there, but he wasn't all that great at LG and in two years he couldn't beat out Reiter.  There's a reason he lasted until the seventh round.  At the most, I'd consider Allegretti competition, backup, or a stop gap for a rookie OC.

The question is, would a second tier free agent be better than a top 40 rookie with more upside?   There’s also substantial contract differences between those two. What better way to bring in a rookie than lining him up next to an all pro veteran guard?  I think at this point I’d prefer the draft route for that position. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

From what I read somewhere in the last week, there is a real chance that we could re-sign Schwartz after the dust settles and disc heals.  It might even be a plan.  If they merely needed to clear away some protruding disc material, the operation is simple, the rehab is quick, and the results are longlasting.  If this is what the Chiefs and Schwartz are thinking, we might see it in the draft strategy.