Thuney signed

29 minutes ago, moons314 said:

The question is, would a second tier free agent be better than a top 40 rookie with more upside?   There’s also substantial contract differences between those two. What better way to bring in a rookie than lining him up next to an all pro veteran guard?  I think at this point I’d prefer the draft route for that position. 

Maybe.  Putting in a rookie at LT isn't something Reid seems to do.  I can see doing it with an OC but they need a backup/second option at LT, especially with a probably rookie at RT as well.  Remmers can back up Niang but we don't need to see him at LT again.  Rankin might do in an emergency, but who knows.  Best route is to get a second tier FA and blend in the rookie as ready.  All this may become mute if the Chiefs push the FA button again this week. 

Love the move. Never expected that the most exciting FA signing of the Mahomes era would be an OG :D I wonder if a veteran OT + OC come to town as well with the money left, likely stopgaps but still would be a decent boost in the short term. 

If healthy Alex Mack makes too much sense not to sign at this point. He already got the money from NFL and has no more than a couple shots at a ring. 

I LIKE THIS MOVE. SOLID BACK UP

K.C. Chiefs guarantee solid payday for Andrew Wylie this offseason with tender

Andrew Wylie should be thankful to the K.C. Chiefs. While it’s yet unknown where exactly he will be playing, the good news is that his hard work will have paid off. The Chiefs have made him a rich man.

As Wylie heads into the offseason, he’s facing restricted free agency, which means that the Chiefs have until Thursday to tender him at a set level. If the Chiefs refuse to do so, he would become an unrestricted free agent and hit the market for whatever another team is willing to offer him. However, reports emerged on Tuesday saying the Chiefs were going to tender Wylie at some level, which means he is set to make at least $2.13 million in 2021.

16 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I LIKE THIS MOVE. SOLID BACK UP

K.C. Chiefs guarantee solid payday for Andrew Wylie this offseason with tender

Andrew Wylie should be thankful to the K.C. Chiefs. While it’s yet unknown where exactly he will be playing, the good news is that his hard work will have paid off. The Chiefs have made him a rich man.

As Wylie heads into the offseason, he’s facing restricted free agency, which means that the Chiefs have until Thursday to tender him at a set level. If the Chiefs refuse to do so, he would become an unrestricted free agent and hit the market for whatever another team is willing to offer him. However, reports emerged on Tuesday saying the Chiefs were going to tender Wylie at some level, which means he is set to make at least $2.13 million in 2021.

Said no one ever.

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Except Veach Reid and Company. I trust their judgement.

If Wylie is playing next year, I will absolutely question their judgement.  Their judgement (piss poor judgement) on the offensive line got the Chiefs embarrassed in the Super Bowl.  We can blame injuries or whatever, but the line wasn't good when healthy.   

Wylie showed his ceiling and that isn't much. If they think he can be a better backup OG than what's available out there then vet minimum should be what he gets from the Chiefs. I don't think there's any reason to take the risk of overpaying him, if some GM wants to make him a starter then let him have Wylie. 

I think this was an excellent signing, especially with the cap hit of $4.5 million this year.  Rodney Hudson was just released by the Raiders.  Could be an interesting move that the Chiefs should consider.  I think Trent Williams is going to be too rich for us, but with a solid interior line, the Chiefs should be a lot better off.  I think it will be quite interesting what Veach does as free agency progresses.  I am pretty sure he is not done and we should be in good position moving forward.  Will be watching closely as things progress.  I believe the goal is to be in a position where we are not forced to take a Tackle in the first round,  so expect the Chiefs to continue to be active in free agency when it comes to the Offensive line. 

Wylie should be nothing more than a backup. After last year, I’d rather just not see his name in the lineup at all and get another dude in. The only thing he has going for him is knowledge of the offense. We lost so many guys on the line, they may value his knowledge more than physical skill.

59 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Wylie should be nothing more than a backup. After last year, I’d rather just not see his name in the lineup at all and get another dude in. The only thing he has going for him is knowledge of the offense. We lost so many guys on the line, they may value his knowledge more than physical skill.

It takes about 5 years for an o-lineman to reach his peak.  I don't think Wylie will ever be really good, but it is much too early to say that he will not be an excellent backup.

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Wylie showed his ceiling and that isn't much. If they think he can be a better backup OG than what's available out there then vet minimum should be what he gets from the Chiefs. I don't think there's any reason to take the risk of overpaying him, if some GM wants to make him a starter then let him have Wylie. 

We have Durant and Rankin already under contract a guard backups.  Our if Rankin beats out LDT then Durant and LDT are backups.  No need for Wylie? 

8 hours ago, moons314 said:

If Wylie is playing next year, I will absolutely question their judgement.  Their judgement (piss poor judgement) on the offensive line got the Chiefs embarrassed in the Super Bowl.  We can blame injuries or whatever, but the line wasn't good when healthy.   

Wylie is probably slated strictly for a back up role.  I thought they would resign Remmers first, but Wylie can be one of the ten or so roster fillers.  

12 hours ago, moons314 said:

The line never was healthy last year. 

I wouldn't mind Wylie sticking around as a pure IOL backup but he has no business starting and we already have two better OGs on the roster and that includes a LDT 1-year removed from NFL. There are young options around but they might be considering to send some of them packing and in some cases it takes a while before late round guys are ready to increase their role. 

Allegretti + Wylie + rookie OT as our primary backups wouldn't be a huge issue for me but I would prefer if they just let Wylie leave and bring in someone else with more upside. Wylie may just be the devil we know for 2021. Also depending on the PS this year they might be considering a higher number of linemen on the roster than the usual 8-10. 

7 hours ago, robgar said:

The line never was healthy last year. 

As a whole, no, but when camp broke and we had a full compliment of the linemen on our roster, there were still questions surrounding that group.  Even if fully healthy, that line was suspect at best, though I’ll grant you that losing two tackles made the issues of the interior 3 that much more evident. 

7 hours ago, Palangi said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kckingdom.com/2021/03/16/kc-chiefs-offensive-line-joe-thuney-signing/amp/

If still like to see Rankin beat out LDT too. And young first round tackle next to Thuney would be great. 

Cosmi

Mayfield

Jenkins 

Little

Are players that COULD be available

Cosmi is a project.  Young and undeveloped.  Nowhere close to being a starter from what i have read. The middle three on the list could start immediately.  I don't know about Little. This year, we need a starter.  That much is obvious, at least at this point. If Fisher or Schwartz were re-signed, then Cosmi could have a chance to develop behind him.

Give me Jenkins.