KC trading Hitchens?

1 hour ago, xen said:

Dont think this guy is legit but just in case.  Joined Twitter this month and has 8 tweets.  Guess you never know but I think this is probably fake news.

Honestly wouldn’t expect to see a Hitchens trade until camp time, post June, because of the cap dead money vs cap saved.

31 minutes ago, Balto said:

Honestly wouldn’t expect to see a Hitchens trade until camp time, post June, because of the cap dead money vs cap saved.

I don't see him getting traded at all.  He did improve in year 2 and Spags trusts him to call the D on the field.

Don’t think either saves much because the restructured the last couple years.  So when dudes tell you the cap isn’t real you show them Hitchens and Frank’s contract.  We are stuck with both, at least one more year for Hitchens and two with Clark.

At least Hitchens looked better last year and Clark is due for a bounce back.   Gotta be careful who you restructure because you are basically stuck with those guys for the duration of their contract

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i don't know if this specific trade is real, but i know they are exploring trading hitchens. they can save most the cap hit by trading vs cutting. if i am the chiefs i consider throwing picks in the deal to get his cap hit off the team, i would consider the same with frank clark.

No need to mess with either Hitchens or Clark. They sure aren't living up to their contracts but cannot open any holes that need fixing with OL still an issue and secondary concerns like DB, TE, etc. I think we suffer another year of both after which their contracts would give more flexibility and there's always the possibility of both players bouncing back to a decent level. It's not like their performances are going to net any worthy draft capital. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

No need to mess with either Hitchens or Clark. They sure aren't living up to their contracts but cannot open any holes that need fixing with OL still an issue and secondary concerns like DB, TE, etc. I think we suffer another year of both after which their contracts would give more flexibility and there's always the possibility of both players bouncing back to a decent level. It's not like their performances are going to net any worthy draft capital. 

Here is the path im talking about. Trade Clark and Hichens, give up a mid roundish pick to give them receiving team incentive to take these guys. Take the 15ish mil you save on the cap and upgrade the o line and wr for example. Then fill lb and de with vet minimum type guys would would give very similar production.

your path is keep them and hope they rebound and try to upgrade the other positions with vet min type money.

both are valid paths, i just know which path i would take and how i would allocate my money

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Here is the path im talking about. Trade Clark and Hichens, give up a mid roundish pick to give them receiving team incentive to take these guys. Take the 15ish mil you save on the cap and upgrade the o line and wr for example. Then fill lb and de with vet minimum type guys would would give very similar production.

your path is keep them and hope they rebound and try to upgrade the other positions with vet min type money.

both are valid paths, i just know which path i would take and how i would allocate my money

I think it's about the return as well. I don't think we get anything in return for Hitchens at this point. He was terrible and barely resembled a decent LB in 2020. No team would give up picks for him when the picks are more valuable than any other time of the year. If he wasn't restructured I think we would be better off getting rid of him this year but since we are stuck with most of his cap hit might as well hope he progresses a bit in 2021.  

Clark could net some return but definitely won't justify letting a guy of his talent leave. May be a 2nd and another pick in the mix but that huge contract will lower the price. His dead money will be reasonable after a June 1st designation in 2022 and he'll be 29 by then. So realistically this is somewhat of a contract year for him which could provide some motivation to bounce back and increase his value. 

We could try to move them in the short term but I would prefer the entire focus to be on the OL at this point and may be we can live with dismal performances from 2 expensive guys for another year.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

We could try to move them in the short term but I would prefer the entire focus to be on the OL at this point and may be we can live with dismal performances from 2 expensive guys for another year.

With five picks in the first four rounds, the Chiefs can focus on the O-line and still upgrade WR, LB, and DE.  Just depends on how the board falls and one of those picks could go to a CB or S.  But they also have two fifths so fixing the O-line through the draft shouldn't stop them from upgrading numerous other positions.  Lets just hope Veach doesn't trade away draft capital for the next Speaks or Kpass.  If fact, there's a good chance he could trad down from #31 and still get his choice. 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

With five picks in the first four rounds, the Chiefs can focus on the O-line and still upgrade WR, LB, and DE.  Just depends on how the board falls and one of those picks could go to a CB or S.  But they also have two fifths so fixing the O-line through the draft shouldn't stop them from upgrading numerous other positions.  Lets just hope Veach doesn't trade away draft capital for the next Speaks or Kpass.  If fact, there's a good chance he could trad down from #31 and still get his choice. 

I believe we are perfectly situated at this point with LT being the only question mark. 5th year option could make #31 really sexy for some GMs so a trade down is always a possibility but I would be perfectly fine staying put for our future LT assuming a stopgap can be found in FA. After that only day 1 starters should warrant multiple picks assuming they are really sold on the prospect, may be our OC for the next decade. There are enough picks to fix multiple positions and 2 starters for 2021 with 2-3 rotational/backup guys in the mix should be a decent draft. 

Just now, sith13 said:

I believe we are perfectly situated at this point with LT being the only question mark. 5th year option could make #31 really sexy for some GMs so a trade down is always a possibility but I would be perfectly fine staying put for our future LT assuming a stopgap can be found in FA. After that only day 1 starters should warrant multiple picks assuming they are really sold on the prospect, may be our OC for the next decade. There are enough picks to fix multiple positions and 2 starters for 2021 with 2-3 rotational/backup guys in the mix should be a decent draft. 

Be nice to get Williams

Go after center, te, wr, DE and lb then in the draft. BPA would be nice if it were say CB even. We will get mid tier FA and cuts for depth/competition. Veach is always good at getting those cut to help us out. 

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Be nice to get Williams

Go after center, te, wr, DE and lb then in the draft. BPA would be nice if it were say CB even. We will get mid tier FA and cuts for depth/competition. Veach is always good at getting those cut to help us out. 

Assuming we don't find a stopgap LT could and likely will cost multiple picks. Williams would simply save us 2 high picks this year while solidifying the left side of the line for at least the next 2 couple years. Not to mention a lot of FAs will want to come for cheap 1-year deals to chase a ring. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Assuming we don't find a stopgap LT could and likely will cost multiple picks. Williams would simply save us 2 high picks this year while solidifying the left side of the line for at least the next 2 couple years. Not to mention a lot of FAs will want to come for cheap 1-year deals to chase a ring. 

Which LT would cost multiple high picks?  Assuming the Chiefs don't go crazy for Sewell, Slater, or Darrisaw, there probably sex or sever others that are consensus top ten LTs  The point is that there's not a lot of reason to spend high draft capital to get Jenkins ahead of Cosmi or Mayfield or however the team has their board.  If the Chiefs pick up a short term, mid level LT in FA, they can afford to spend a year developing a less ready but higher ceiling prospect.  I really hope Veach doesn't spend picks to move up for a perceived favorite. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Which LT would cost multiple high picks?  Assuming the Chiefs don't go crazy for Sewell, Slater, or Darrisaw, there probably sex or sever others that are consensus top ten LTs  The point is that there's not a lot of reason to spend high draft capital to get Jenkins ahead of Cosmi or Mayfield or however the team has their board.  If the Chiefs pick up a short term, mid level LT in FA, they can afford to spend a year developing a less ready but higher ceiling prospect.  I really hope Veach doesn't spend picks to move up for a perceived favorite. 

Yep.

Radunz

Cosmi

Mayfield

Jenkins

Eichenberg

Walker Little

Spencer Brown

Take your pick.

Hell James Hudson might be the best of the lot but needs a year or 2 with the right team and coaches.  

That said. I ain't gonna cry if they go get Trent Williams.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Sex and sever should never be used in the same sentence.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I can see one of the top ones falling to mid 1st and may be early 20s which could intrigue Veach to pull the trigger as a day 1 starter. Already seen him panic and pick up Hardman for multiple picks, could repeat that with a much more urgent need. However a stopgap FA makes a lot more sense as having our LTOTF as swing tackle for a year would only help with the immediate SB goal. I'm not a fan of giving up multiple picks (obviously excluding QBs) unless it's a 6th or 7th to move up a spot or two for a guy the staff considers to be a steal.