KC trading Hitchens?

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

I can see one of the top ones falling to mid 1st and may be early 20s which could intrigue Veach to pull the trigger as a day 1 starter. Already seen him panic and pick up Hardman for multiple picks, could repeat that with a much more urgent need. However a stopgap FA makes a lot more sense as having our LTOTF as swing tackle for a year would only help with the immediate SB goal. I'm not a fan of giving up multiple picks (obviously excluding QBs) unless it's a 6th or 7th to move up a spot or two for a guy the staff considers to be a steal. 

It hard to imagine that ten OT will go off the board in the first round.  My best guess is about six, maybe seven, probably less.  In Xen's list above, there at least four that won't go anywhere in the first round.  I'd add Leatherwood to the list.  Now if the Chiefs have just one target out of the group, they might be tempted to move up.  Say, for example they want Jenkins more than Radunz or Cosmi.  But I don't see them giving up much considering the small differences in ratings among the group.  In fact, they might do well to move DOWN a few spots and still get their man.   Hopefully, they bring back Remmers as the O-line depth and to back up Niang at RT.  Just don't let him play LT.

24 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It hard to imagine that ten OT will go off the board in the first round.  My best guess is about six, maybe seven, probably less.  In Xen's list above, there at least four that won't go anywhere in the first round.  I'd add Leatherwood to the list.  Now if the Chiefs have just one target out of the group, they might be tempted to move up.  Say, for example they want Jenkins more than Radunz or Cosmi.  But I don't see them giving up much considering the small differences in ratings among the group.  In fact, they might do well to move DOWN a few spots and still get their man.   Hopefully, they bring back Remmers as the O-line depth and to back up Niang at RT.  Just don't let him play LT.

Absolutely. I think a stopgap is much needed at this point. We are not in an ideal place to pick a day 1 starter. 

6 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Absolutely. I think a stopgap is much needed at this point. We are not in an ideal place to pick a day 1 starter. 

Which OT prospects do you consider day one starters?  Which do you consider possible future fixtures at OT?  Not trying to put you on the spot, but this draft class is rich in tackles and I believe there are several who can start soon that will fall to the 40s or later.  If there's a run on them before the Chiefs pick one, then some current players will be released.  This is a good year to need tackles 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Which OT prospects do you consider day one starters?  Which do you consider possible future fixtures at OT?  Not trying to put you on the spot, but this draft class is rich in tackles and I believe there are several who can start soon that will fall to the 40s or later.  If there's a run on them before the Chiefs pick one, then some current players will be released.  This is a good year to need tackles 

Definitely a great year to add an OT. In my opinion Sewell and Slater are the only obvious starters but won't be around. The only player I feel like the Chiefs would make a move is Darrisaw who is written down as a likely RT but could actually end up at LT and might start very early with his experience in the position. Otherwise I don't think there's much difference between LT prospects but it's all about the staff being high on a specific guy. 

I like the idea of having some flexibility with #31 as some really good prospects in various positions of need will fall due to the sheer amount of talent in the draft. Being forced to make a move for LT could lead to reaching for a guy or giving up multiple picks as we can't really afford having Mahomes spend offseasons with surgeries. 

5 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Guys like Cosmi,  Mayfield, and jenkins can be day 1 starters.  They are to 30 players in the draft.  

I don't get why we over think and complicate things.  Your first round pick should be a day 1 starter.  1-32 it doesn't matter.  

yup

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

Guys like Cosmi,  Mayfield, and jenkins can be day 1 starters.  They are to 30 players in the draft.  

I don't get why we over think and complicate things.  Your first round pick should be a day 1 starter.  1-32 it doesn't matter.  

I agree with this in principle. The fact the Chiefs are totally revamping their Oline gives me a little concern. Do we really want to throw a rookie tackle out there with a bunch of guys who have not played together....and in the case of Niang, not played at all. Sink or swim is generally a lousy idea at LT. Didn't the Chiefs start Fish at RT because we had Brandon Albert? Patrick Mahomes was a top ten pick. . .not a day 1 starter.

2 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I agree with this in principle. The fact the Chiefs are totally revamping their Oline gives me a little concern. Do we really want to throw a rookie tackle out there with a bunch of guys who have not played together....and in the case of Niang, not played at all. Sink or swim is generally a lousy idea at LT. Didn't the Chiefs start Fish at RT because we had Brandon Albert?

yup

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

I agree with this in principle. The fact the Chiefs are totally revamping their Oline gives me a little concern. Do we really want to throw a rookie tackle out there with a bunch of guys who have not played together....and in the case of Niang, not played at all. Sink or swim is generally a lousy idea at LT. Didn't the Chiefs start Fish at RT because we had Brandon Albert? Patrick Mahomes was a top ten pick. . .not a day 1 starter.

Yes bringing in reiff doesn't change the fact of playing together. 

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

Problem is:  The Chiefs don't have a Branden Albert this fall.  Also, they already have someone penciled in at RT.  Either a rookie plays LT or they get a capable stop gap  

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Problem is:  The Chiefs don't have a Branden Albert this fall.  Also, they already have someone penciled in at RT.  Either a rookie plays LT or they get a capable stop gap  

Agree those are the options. Chiefs were so close to getting Williams who I wonder wasn't just using the Chiefs as leverage to max out his deal in San Fran. We are going to draft a tackle regardless. Personally, I'm not ecstatic about the idea of having two inexperienced rookie tackles protecting Mahomes. But guess I'm alone in that archaic thinking....lol.

14 hours ago, dhitter said:

Agree those are the options. Chiefs were so close to getting Williams who I wonder wasn't just using the Chiefs as leverage to max out his deal in San Fran. We are going to draft a tackle regardless. Personally, I'm not ecstatic about the idea of having two inexperienced rookie tackles protecting Mahomes. But guess I'm alone in that archaic thinking....lol.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Schwartz or even Fisher could be healed in time and be re-signed. Still, either of those two would be a stopgap for a drafted LT to develop for a year.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Everyone keeps forgetting that Schwartz or even Fisher could be healed in time and be re-signed. Still, either of those two would be a stopgap for a drafted LT to develop for a year.

Could be the case but either would probably look for a long term deal at their ages and a healthy Schwartz is one of the best in the NFL. 

12 hours ago, robgar said:

you dont move a healthy Schwartz to the left.. you leave him at right.. 

Normally, yes, but he might be preferable on the left to an inexperienced Niang who has played mainly on the right or the Remmers we saw in the SB.  

you leave him at his native position.. end of story. contrary to popular opinion right and left tackle are two different positions, its more than just a switch of sides on the field

which is extremely difficult.. They require different things.

2 minutes ago, robgar said:

you leave him at his native position.. end of story. contrary to popular opinion right and left tackle are two different positions, its more than just a switch of sides on the field

Yep, one waxes on, the other waxes off.

45 minutes ago, robgar said:

Yes, but there are many versatile linemen who can switch quickly to either and play at a decent backup level without costing you a game. Obviously, though, a starter counted on as being superior should not even be asked to do that.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes, but there are many versatile linemen who can switch quickly to either and play at a decent backup level without costing you a game. Obviously, though, a starter counted on as being superior should not even be asked to do that.

its a question of power vs speed, your most powerfull lineman belongs on the right side, your fastest and quickest tackle on the left side.

its a lot more than just wax on and wax off..