Does a Super Bowl appearance or win forgive a bad contract for K.C. Chiefs?

Does a Super Bowl appearance or win forgive a bad contract for K.C. Chiefs?

If you want to build a championship roster in the NFL, then one thing you’re almost certainly going to have to do is spend big money to acquire players through free agency or trade that will hopefully get your team over the hump at one point or another. However, sometimes teams give players more money than they probably deserve in the heat of the moment because they’re so determined to add talent and add it sooner rather than later.

When teams do this, it can either end up paying off or it could end up hindering the team for years to come. In the case of the K.C. Chiefs, they were able to win a Super Bowl despite paying big bucks to players like Anthony Hitchens, Sammy Watkins, Frank Clark, etc. and those three just mentioned are who most fans think of when you ask them who on the Chiefs has/had a bad contract. Sure those players have come on at different points, but they haven’t been consistently elite. Regardless, does a Super Bowl win—or even an appearance—excuse a bad contract by a team?

Unfortunately, It’s more complicated than a simple yes or no.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/03/21/super-bowl-appearance-win-forgive-contract-kc-chiefs/

Who cares what contracts are to win it all? Really, before we won we all would have loved to go all in to just win it once and have some bad years after, but we would have won it. Thing is we did have a couple bad contracts, still won it and are still competitive to win more. Even with those mentioned above we went to back to back SB and are primed to go again and again and again. 

FA mistakes are all over the NFL and they are not really acceptable if they cripple a franchise. However Chiefs haven't really had any of those since most of them were somewhat serviceable. Among that list I think Clark was the worst since we gave up multiple picks for a player that would warrant too big of a contract but he's probably the best performer in that list so not something we can't stomach and I don't mind losing a year or two for a SB win and all 3 had roles to play in the only win of my lifetime. 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It seemed that one premise of the article is that the bad contracts were a reason the Chiefs lost SB LV.  Disagree.  Even without the Clark and Watkins contracts, Fisher and Schwartz would have gone down and no way would Veach have spent more money on OTs capable of starting.

Agree. Not to mention sometimes you simply have an off day as a team. Thats why undefeated is almost impossible.

I am not going to make a fuss about it with the team or GM, but I will gladly root for the exit of the player at the end of the deal. I still cannot wrap my head around Frank Clark though. When we traded for him and dropped $100 million, my only thought was “who?”. Lot of money for a guy who hasn’t even come close to an Aaron Donald, Justin Houston or JJ Watt like season. He wasn’t Dee Ford and actually did positive stuff in the playoffs. He kind of validated his existence the first year. But then went into witness protection almost all last season, it was clear he was a terrible contract. Hitchens is a far lesser evil as a MLB as to cap impact. If KC doesn’t make a Super Bowl again next season, the quietness will end.

18 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I am not going to make a fuss about it with the team or GM, but I will gladly root for the exit of the player at the end of the deal. I still cannot wrap my head around Frank Clark though. When we traded for him and dropped $100 million, my only thought was “who?”. Lot of money for a guy who hasn’t even come close to an Aaron Donald, Justin Houston or JJ Watt like season. He wasn’t Dee Ford and actually did positive stuff in the playoffs. He kind of validated his existence the first year. But then went into witness protection almost all last season, it was clear he was a terrible contract. Hitchens is a far lesser evil as a MLB as to cap impact. If KC doesn’t make a Super Bowl again next season, the quietness will end.

Exactly 

21 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Every team has some bad contracts. I think a SB win negates it and an appearance not so much. What say you?

My issue with the Clark contract is more the picks also given up in a trade. Thats a lot to pay for a SB Win but I dont think KC gets the win without Clark.

I agree with every sentence here.

7 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

For clarification...If we don't make 3 super bowls in a row, you are going to start complaining?

About Frank Clark? Yes. About other stuff, probably not. Clark should be instrumental to our defense and be a top 5 sacker in the league at his contract. His contract becomes prohibitive to having more or better talent. He is being paid to be the Mahomes of the defense.

5 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

About Frank Clark? Yes. About other stuff, probably not. Clark should be instrumental to our defense and be a top 5 sacker in the league at his contract. His contract becomes prohibitive to having more or better talent. He is being paid to be the Mahomes of the defense.

Would you rather have an overpaid Clark and a SB LIV win or a more rational contract and another near miss?  The Chiefs very likely wouldn't have the win without him.  Overpaid?  Yep.  Worth it to win?  You decide. 

Could be worse... we could have been the Ravens when they extended Flacco after a SB or like the Cowboys over paying a mediocre QB and never making it now.   I'll take Clark with his contact and one SB win and 1 loss every day of the week. Played balls out first SB, average last year, maybe this year he figures it out again.  

Clark is the least of our problems right now. Only FA we missed out on that we really wanted was over paying Williams. WR and CB depth will take care of themselves soon. 

The Kansas City Chiefs are finalizing a one-year deal with veteran safety Daniel Sorensen, according to Herbie Teope of The Kansas City Star.

For the second season in a row, the highlight of Sorensen’s year came in the team’s Divisional round playoff game. His thunderous hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Rashard Higgins forced a fumble at the 1-yard line and into the end zone, creating a touchback rather than a second-quarter touchdown. The Chiefs eventually won by five points after Patrick Mahomes had to depart through the league’s concussion protocol.

In 2020, Sorensen made a $3.6 million base salary with a $1 million signing bonus for a cap hit of $4.75 million. In 15 games (11 starts), he finished with 91 tackles (68 solo), five passes defensed, two forced fumbles and three interceptions.

The numbers on his contract for 2021 are still to come.

12 hours ago, reesebobby said:

For clarification...If we don't make 3 super bowls in a row, you are going to start complaining?

12 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Technically aren't you already complaining?

😜

On 3/21/2021 at 3:01 PM, Thegoatee said:

Well stated.

Though I also agree with Jet... with or without Clark, it wouldn't have mattered. It was TB's defense that won the SB.

Unpredictable losses on our OL due to injury, and the decreased depth because of covid were insurmountable. Honestly I'm amazed we made it through the playoffs.

Speaks volumes to the leadership and the front office. That said, this year will be key to understanding just how talented Veach is... seems like he's off to a good start.