D Rob signed

15 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Do you see Calloway as a legit threat to make the team? Dudes got the tools.

Yeah his problem isn't talent it's getting his head screwed on straight.  If so, sure.  He can definitely beat press which is what we need.  But that's a big if.  

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Do you see Calloway as a legit threat to make the team? Dudes got the tools.

Like xen said, talent isn't the issue.  He has #2 talent easy and would be another great find by Veach if he can get the stuff between his ears situated.   

• 2 weeks later...

Availability is huge.  I don't understand all the sarcasm and hate on D Rob.  Not only is he available, but he has improved slowly but SURELY year after year and gets decent separation on his assigned routes.  His value can be seen by Mahomes' willingness to throw his way in crucial situations. He knows the system backwards and forwards so doesn't have to be trained. He fills a big role on ST's. He is well liked and does not harm the locker room chemistry.  He is the kind of piece of a puzzle that all coaches look for. 

You can't have a star at every position, not on a team that has to pay Mahomes and its other stars.  We need to win championships with our stars and with guys on their first contracts.  That is the way it will be until Mahomes retires.  Might as well get over it.

18 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Availability is huge.  I don't understand all the sarcasm and hate on D Rob.  Not only is he available, but he has improved slowly but SURELY year after year and gets decent separation on his assigned routes.  His value can be seen by Mahomes' willingness to throw his way in crucial situations. He knows the system backwards and forwards so doesn't have to be trained. He fills a big role on ST's. He is well liked and does not harm the locker room chemistry.  He is the kind of piece of a puzzle that all coaches look for. 

You can't have a star at every position, not on a team that has to pay Mahomes and its other stars.  We need to win championships with our stars and with guys on their first contracts.  That is the way it will be until Mahomes retires.  Might as well get over it.

I don't mind the Drob signing but his issues have always been consistency and concentration drops.  That hasn't changed in all this time.  

57 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't mind the Drob signing but his issues have always been consistency and concentration drops.  That hasn't changed in all this time.  

That's true, but his targets are few and far between.  I think his drops would decrease with repetitions. He is described also as a "tremendous blocker on the edge."  See last paragraph of this article: https://www.kshb.com/sports/chiefs-wr-demarcus-robinson-carves-out-role-despite-talented-roster

He has been regarded as a "must re-sign."  Let's see how he does with more frequent targets this year.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That's true, but his targets are few and far between.  I think his drops would decrease with repetitions. He is described also as a "tremendous blocker on the edge."  See last paragraph of this article: https://www.kshb.com/sports/chiefs-wr-demarcus-robinson-carves-out-role-despite-talented-roster

He has been regarded as a "must re-sign."  Let's see how he does with more frequent targets this year.

Some of the frustration with Robinson comes from a few plays such as third and eight where he catches the ball nine yards down field and circles back trying to make a bigger play.  There seems to be an awareness issue at times.  The Chiefs may draft the #2OTF so DRob may not get that many more targets this season.  

39 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Some of the frustration with Robinson comes from a few plays such as third and eight where he catches the ball nine yards down field and circles back trying to make a bigger play.  There seems to be an awareness issue at times.  The Chiefs may draft the #2OTF so DRob may not get that many more targets this season.  

He may not.  But if Reid is trying to sow doubt in the minds of the defense, he might be in there as a blocker for another receiver downfield, as a target himself, as a run blocker, or entirely as a decoy to keep a guy a little farther away from Hill or Kelce by a foot or so, allowing for the reception.  His versatility in his skills on the field can account for more TD's and first downs than show up in his own stats. for fans and pundits.  Yet, still he would not get enough actual targets to show great stats on receiving yards or even percentage of drops that are meaningful when looking at his entire season.  He is like a multi-tool carried in the pocket of all construction workers or handymen.  The knife may be crappy the different screwdrivers may suck, the awl may not be the best, the pliers may be weak, but he doesn't have to run out to his vehicle to find the right tool most of the time.

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Apparently he's not enough of a piece to get a multi-year deal from anywhere else :D 

I don't hate him as a player. IMO he's no different than a veteran signing that comes during the season, does well at times but never a difference maker. I don't hate the signing either, staff can have as many vet minimum guys as they want. If he can avoid the drops he may end up being a decent #3 guy throughout the NFL, nothing flashy but serviceable. In fact I think he was less bad than Hardman in 2020, which isn't really saying much. However I don't think Robinson will mount to anything during his Chiefs tenure as he likely won't get enough targets to have an impact and at some point the upside of some youngster will be much more tempting.