Bye bye, Sammy

I don’t understand the hate or people thinking that Pringle is as good or can be better.  Pringle will never hold a candle to Watkins talent.  Pringle can probably be more available but that’s it.   Veach massively overpaid and we got terrible value for him but we won a SB in part to his contributions that run.  So it is what it is, I wish we could have seen what a full season of healthy Sammy looked like but we have to start developing our own guys like the Steelers do.   

Folks don't like Sammy because he always gets hurt.  They don't like Frank because he hasn't lived up to his contract.  For all the whining about no playoff victories, much less a SB title, these same folks sure have a short memory of what and who it took to get there.  If anyone can prove that the Chiefs would have been better off without those two, I'd like to see it.  You pay for what you need, sometimes too much, and when it becomes inefficient, you move on.  That simple. 

I wanted us to resign Sammy last year and appreciated playoff Sammy and his key plays in the SB. But ultimately, as talented as he is, the guy just can't stay on the field.  Not going to lie, he'd be hard to pass up for $6m though.  Just need the guy to be healthy the 2nd half of the season and he could be worth every penny.  "Could" be. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Folks don't like Sammy because he always gets hurt.  They don't like Frank because he hasn't lived up to his contract.  For all the whining about no playoff victories, much less a SB title, these same folks sure have a short memory of what and who it took to get there.  If anyone can prove that the Chiefs would have been better off without those two, I'd like to see it.  You pay for what you need, sometimes too much, and when it becomes inefficient, you move on.  That simple. 

I agree with all of this. I like Sammy, always have. When he was on the field he was a potential game changer.

But, he reminds me of the old WWI war game “To the Green Fields Beyond” in which the British introduced early tanks. When the tanks worked, they ruled the battle. But, they didn’t work half the time. One reviewer commented that the tanks were both an exhilaration and a frustration for the player. 

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

nobody says they weren't an integral part of the SB... at least... I haven't seen that from anyone

I'm one of clark's biggest critics in here

yet after the SB I was singing his praises

that said... at least the front office acknowledges the expense/lack of production with sammy

as for clark... "what have you done lately" certainly applies and is a valid question

especially at his salary

answer: not much

A question though, if we had Sammy’s money invested in a similar WR who doesn’t miss a month or two a season, would Sammy matter? I realize it is hypothetical, but we paid Sammy like a 1B WR and last season he was a ghost. He worked out well his first year, but there is zero reason to retain his services for 2021.

9 hours ago, mex said:

nobody says they weren't an integral part of the SB... at least... I haven't seen that from anyone

I'm one of clark's biggest critics in here

yet after the SB I was singing his praises

that said... at least the front office acknowledges the expense/lack of production with sammy

as for clark... "what have you done lately" certainly applies and is a valid question

especially at his salary

answer: not much

We definitely aren't getting good value from Clark but I do think his attitude and play against the run at least make it more palatable and he does seem to do better in the playoffs.    I do think they move on from him as soon as they can but I've been saying it for a while we need another DE that can create pressure.   I see Frank more as a Tamba Hali who always produced better when paired with another good pass rusher.   Plus we will need another alpha DE which will make letting Frank go after 2022 possible.    Another reason why losing Fisher sucks.  Fisher, Thuney, Draft , Long, Niang is a far superior line than what we had last year.   Could have drafted a developmental LT in the 3, a DE in the 1st and OC 2nd.     And probably cost us the SB.........quite literally one of the most costly injuries in Chiefs history.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

And I thank you for that.... Hopefully he didn't get hurt walking through the Airport.

he did have his best year in 2015 with Greg Roman as the OC in Buffalo.

Sammy the Hammy....LOL

If he stays healthy, you got a good one.