Jarran Reed is signing a one-year deal with the Chiefs

I don't think Chris Jones will do much at DE other than provide a stronger run-stuffer presence there.   I don't mind the idea of going stout vs the run on early downs with Clark, Reed, Nnadi, and Jones but our best pass-rushing set is  Clark, Reed, Jones, Taco.   

7 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

What's the deal with Saunders he was a force as a rookie?

Put on too much weight while rehabbing.  If he gets in shape, there's tons of places for Saunders to play.  He could even replace the Sausage in some situations.  Also keep in mind that Reed is probably a one year player here so Wharton, Saunders still have a possible future . Can Taco stay healthy all season?  Wharton or Jones could get a lot of snaps at DE.   Reed does more than supplement Jones in the interior,.  He gives Spags a  lot of flexibility.   

Saunders is toast.  Dude is so slow off the ball it doesn't matter how athletic he is.   Getting tired of these kind of picks by Veach.   Raw guy with an athletic trait or overall good athlete taken top 3 rounds and it takes 3-4 years just to mature them into starters and then we either don't have the staff to develop them, don't give them the time to develop, or they just suck and we reached.   He did back flips, what else has he done?  Seriously?  

Liked Saunders as a rookie, looked like a prototypical guy that would be ready to take over in year 2 but he has been regressing ever since. I guess his frame couldn't handle the required shape they wanted from him. Could obviously bounce back but I doubt he can overtake Wharton so #5 DT is likely his role and probably leaves after his rookie deal. 

On 3/31/2021 at 1:58 AM, Lamardirts said:

Saunders is toast.  Dude is so slow off the ball it doesn't matter how athletic he is.   Getting tired of these kind of picks by Veach.   Raw guy with an athletic trait or overall good athlete taken top 3 rounds and it takes 3-4 years just to mature them into starters and then we either don't have the staff to develop them, don't give them the time to develop, or they just suck and we reached.   He did back flips, what else has he done?  Seriously?  

Looked like a beast in year 2. Then wasn't even active on gameday most of last year. Weird. Saying he is toast is pretty ridiculous as the guy is 24 years old. But clearly this year he needs to contribute.

I'm also curious how you are getting sick of Veach drafting guys that take 3 or 4 years to develop when he has only been our GM for 3 drafts. 

I assume you are one of those people still hung up on Speaks? Hardman? Gay? Saunders? Does getting productivity out of guys like Ward, Fenton, Sneed, Wharton balance this in your mind? 

Just curious. We've talked football for well over a decade and we agree on most things. So I'm just curious. Not saying it's OK to miss on early round picks. Just wondering.

35 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Looked like a beast in year 2. Then wasn't even active on gameday most of last year. Weird. Saying he is toast is pretty ridiculous as the guy is 24 years old. But clearly this year he needs to contribute.

I'm also curious how you are getting sick of Veach drafting guys that take 3 or 4 years to develop when he has only been our GM for 3 drafts. 

I assume you are one of those people still hung up on Speaks? Hardman? Gay? Saunders? Does getting productivity out of guys like Ward, Fenton, Sneed, Wharton balance this in your mind? 

Just curious. We've talked football for well over a decade and we agree on most things. So I'm just curious. Not saying it's OK to miss on early round picks. Just wondering.

Don't know about his perspective but personally I think we should be getting instant production from guys drafted in the first two days. QB is always the exception and depending on the spot LT is never a sure thing but other than that the new style of NFL allows guys to come in and contribute early on. Veach has been drafting DBs very well and the coaching seems to be just great but I don't think Veach has any solid picks in another position group.

Potential is always good but as long as there's no instant contribution we would simply be developing guys to contribute on other teams. Once Mahomes' contract actually kicks in we will need even more day one starters to balance the cap situation and the outlook isn't very bright so far. Also if the player doesn't realize the potential they were drafted for we end up with guys like Speaks, Kpass, Saunders, Hardman, etc. that don't mount to anything. I would be happier to pick up some guys that contribute from day one and leave after 4 years.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Don't know about his perspective but personally I think we should be getting instant production from guys drafted in the first two days. QB is always the exception and depending on the spot LT is never a sure thing but other than that the new style of NFL allows guys to come in and contribute early on. Veach has been drafting DBs very well and the coaching seems to be just great but I don't think Veach has any solid picks in another position group.

Gay is undetermined. Allegretti has already contributed. Mike Danna looks to be a nice rotational piece. Nnadi is a starter. Helaire is gonna be a stud whether you like the positional need or not. 

So I don't know what drafts you are looking at but you're thinking is incorrect.

Veach has some wins and some losses like every GM in the draft business.  The thing that stands out is when Veach uses draft picks to trade up for his favorite shiny object and it doesn't work out.  Speaks and Hardman are prime examples.  Most of us don't follow other teams closely enough to see their failures.  

26 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Gay is undetermined. Allegretti has already contributed. Mike Danna looks to be a nice rotational piece. Nnadi is a starter. Helaire is gonna be a stud whether you like the positional need or not. 

So I don't know what drafts you are looking at but you're thinking is incorrect.

Pretty much any player contributes but a draft pick being a hit is basically Thornhill or Sneed. Some guys simply end up being rotational pieces like Danna or Allegretti but I wouldn't count them as hits unless they become solid starters. We have had some trouble drafting those. 

16 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Pretty much any player contributes but a draft pick being a hit is basically Thornhill or Sneed. Some guys simply end up being rotational pieces like Danna or Allegretti but I wouldn't count them as hits unless they become solid starters. We have had some trouble drafting those. 

Yeah when you are getting contributions from late round picks, those aren't misses. If that's your criteria I understand why you are critical of Veach.

I hate the early round misses as much as the next guy, but expecting 6th and 7th rounders to become solid starters or calling them misses is naive. On deep rosters those guys have to impress just to make the team. 

56 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah when you are getting contributions from late round picks, those aren't misses. If that's your criteria I understand why you are critical of Veach.

I hate the early round misses as much as the next guy, but expecting 6th and 7th rounders to become solid starters or calling them misses is naive. On deep rosters those guys have to impress just to make the team. 

I generally like Veach's performance in later rounds, it's the total lack of starters coming out of the drafts that frustrates me. IMO every team needs decent rotational guys coming in later in the draft but with so many misses early in the draft I think Veach needs to make that up with later picks. 

It's not necessarily a Veach issue either as it could just be lame scouting in the front office but obviously the GM is the one responsible. I like his performances with overlooked guys like Remmers or Ward that come out of nowhere to perform at an acceptable.

14 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Veach gets lots of credit for pushing for Mahomes but not enough criticism for whiffing on a lot of draft picks that we are now having to re draft because of those whiffs.  What I mean by taking years to develop is we are wasting those cheap years on players not ready to play because maybe just maybe their upside is a little higher than the other guy we passed on.   I know its a crap shoot, but sometimes the more pro ready player is the right pick and getting 4 years of playing time from him on his rookie deal is better for the team than investing 4 years in a physcial specimen like Kpass who was raw only to get 7 total sacks and not much of anything else.  For example  a udfa took Saunders snaps this last year.   Wharton is a great find but he's an avg starting player.   He's great value because he was a udfa and we found a starting rotational DT player.   Fenton is another one that is great value according to where we picked.     We just drafted a RB and LB in the first two rounds and the RB we didn't utilize correctly or much at all last year and the LB wasn't good enough or smart enough to take Uncle Ben Molasses's snaps.   I think we try and look smarter than everyone else in the room instead of taking the best player and being a better team for it instead of taking yolo picks.    

RB and LB should never be selected in the first two rounds.  We've been to back-to-back SB's with Ben Niemann as our starting LB and little to no run game.  Its a horrible pick from a positional value point of view.    Keep adding premium positions to this team and then let Veach do what he does best fill in the gaps with udfa gems and fa's.   I like Veach and think he's going a good job overall but we have to get better results from these drafts.   This draft is huge!   If we whiff again we will actually have to have a rebuild year or two.  If he hits on this draft we reload and stay favorite for the next 4-5 years.   

Yes we mostly agree on things but we have to start drafting better if we want to have a 10 year window or we are the next Green Bay Packers!

I agree with the idea that rb in rd 1 usually not the best team building plan. I certainly don't agree RB is not a premium position. CEH was underused last yr but that was due in part to the fact that our line was so bad, and Reid loves to pass. Don't forget that there was games where Reid seemed to forget he had Jamaal Charles in his backfield.

The offensive line does fall on Veachs shoulders some though, and there were picks I wish we would have used there instead. I do think we are all gonna see exactly why the Chiefs wanted CEH this year, however. Improved run blocking, and pass blocking is gonna open this offense up more.

Why you are against going LB in the first 2 rounds is a mystery to me though. I've never heard anyone say that before. I don't think you are nearly as likely to find a stud LB in rd 4 or 5 as you are RB. Just my 2 cents.

A LB in the second makes a lot of sense.  Collins or Cox, paired with Gay in a year or so, could be a huge improvement over Hitch and Neiman.  DJ was worth a first and many of us were hoping for Kuechly (sp?) a few years ago.  LB isn't the top priority this year, but getting a stud could change the D big time.