Jayson Oweh

SEMO

He was one of my early draft crushes, but had fallen some lately.  He is back in the first round now.  So raw, but the star potential will be hard for teams to pass up.  Too bad there is not more tape of him.

Been mocking him for a couple months.  The sacks are odd but he gets plenty of pressure.  Put him on our oline and holy crap opposing QB's face a nightmare dline.

I'd take him at 31 in a second.   Then trade our 2nd an 3rd to move back up in the 2nd for a LT prospect.    I know we need to fill out for depth but hard to pass up on a guy like that at 31.    If he had 8-10 sacks last year he'd be a top 5 pick.    

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Been mocking him for a couple months.  The sacks are odd but he gets plenty of pressure.  Put him on our oline and holy crap opposing QB's face a nightmare dline.

I'd take him at 31 in a second.   Then trade our 2nd an 3rd to move back up in the 2nd for a LT prospect.    I know we need to fill out for depth but hard to pass up on a guy like that at 31.    If he had 8-10 sacks last year he'd be a top 5 pick.    

and he can block too? Holy Crap!

teasn

At 31, would you rather have:

Oweh

or

Jaelan Phillips 

Both put up good testing numbers.  Phillips has injury history.  Oweh has concerning lack of sacks but gets consistent pressure. 

Assume OT is taken care of somehow so don't go off on a tangent.

38 minutes ago, xen said:

Oweh

or

Jaelan Phillips 

Both put up good testing numbers.  Phillips has injury history.  Oweh has concerning lack of sacks but gets consistent pressure. 

Phillips. Oweh scares me. Like someone Al Davis would have drafted 3rd overall. 

4 hours ago, xen said:

Oweh

or

Jaelan Phillips 

I'd prefer an OT.  

All seriousness aside, Oweh, with his raw talent should be able to learn to get sacks.  If his speed numbers are correct and he was getting lots of pressures, the sacks will come.  Better to get him than Phillips IMHO, but he may not be there at #31.   

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd be giddy with either DE.   I think the top OT's are gonna be gone and whats left we can find comparable talent at the end of the 2nd.    

It may not work that way.  There may be several OTs at the end of the first that will go in the first two thirds of the second.  My ideal would be if the Chiefs could trade down and still get the OT they want at around #40 plus pick up another pick near the top 100.  Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, and probably two or three more (Jenkins, AVT?) will go before the Chiefs pick but that still leaves a few who are projected starters.  The team still needs to get an experienced stop gap OT but that's just for one year or less.  The need there is more critical that any other position at this time.  At least they have someone to play DE with Clark, Taco, and Dana.  Sure they need a stud there, but not having one won't get Mahomes killed.  

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

It may not work that way.  There may be several OTs at the end of the first that will go in the first two thirds of the second.  My ideal would be if the Chiefs could trade down and still get the OT they want at around #40 plus pick up another pick near the top 100.  Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, and probably two or three more (Jenkins, AVT?) will go before the Chiefs pick but that still leaves a few who are projected starters.  The team still needs to get an experienced stop gap OT but that's just for one year or less.  The need there is more critical that any other position at this time.  At least they have someone to play DE with Clark, Taco, and Dana.  Sure they need a stud there, but not having one won't get Mahomes killed.  

I agree we have have some pieces to play DE and i am totally on board with drafting a LT at 31 or 40.  I just don't want to reach for an avg guy because we need a LT and pass on a potential 10 year stud when we could find a comparable LT at 63.   This year is going to separate the men from the boys, scout wise.  There is going to be some all pros and pro bowl caliber players found in the later rounds because scouts found talent during this pandemic year when players opted out and had great 2019 tape etc.   With all that said if our top guy at 31 is a LT then by all means take it...this guy will be elated!  

• 2 weeks later...

25 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around no sacks..can he not tackle? It just does not add up

If he didn't have any pressures then I wouldn't care what his testing was, but we need someone to get back there in a hurry and he can do it!   I think you can teach wrapping up the qb.    

3 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Can he close the gap in the NFL though? I'm definitely no expert, but it seems we'd be adding Frank Clark part 2, can get some pressure, but not seal the deal.  Can't wait to hear all the bitching if that were to happen lol. 

I was thinking more Dee Ford 2.0 but I guess Ford did get some sacks

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I was thinking more Dee Ford 2.0 but I guess Ford did get some sacks

Oweh plays the run far better than Ford and as talented as Ford was I don't think he was running a sub 4.4.     Our guys last year couldn't even run the arc in enough time to force the qb up in the pocket.