Schwartz at WR.

kkuenn

Play on the title and name, but maybe a guy we look at?

https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/29815/kansas-city-chiefs-must-look-to-draft-for-sammy-watkins-replacement

Kansas City Chiefs must look to draft for Sammy Watkins' replacement

Anthony Schwartz ran a 4.26 40 at Auburn's pro day. AP Photo/Butch Dill

5:00 AM CT
  • teicher_adam.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Wide receiver Anthony Schwartz of Auburn has one quality that makes him a good fit for the Kansas City Chiefs' offense. Schwartz, who ran a 4.26 40 at his school's recent pro day, is fast.

His 40 time would slot him in between Tyreek Hill, who ran a 4.24 40 in 2016 when he was coming out for the draft, and Mecole Hardman, whose 4.33 40 two years ago helped convince the Chiefs to draft him in the second round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Whether it's Schwartz or another player, the Chiefs seem headed toward selecting a wide receiver in the upcoming draft, where their first pick comes at No. 31 overall. Sammy Watkins, their No. 2 wide receiver behind Hill the past three years, signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Ravens last week.

The wide receivers in free agency have mostly been picked through. The only potential game-changing player remaining is Antonio Brown, who brings other issues.

2021 NFL draft coverage

nfl_kiper-mcshay-mock-draft-debate_16x9_608x342.jpg

Mock drafts: Kiper » | McShay »
 Rankings: Kiper » | McShay »
 13 QBs in the class, five key stats »
 Kiper's March mailbag: 15 questions »
Full ranking » | Pick order » | More »

The Chiefs have Hardman, Demarcus Robinson and Byron Pringle returning from last season. Hardman would be first in line for Watkins' playing time but the Chiefs haven't shown through his first two seasons that they believe he's ready to be a regular.

Which is why Schwartz, who could be available to the Chiefs when they pick in the late second round, could be of interest.

Schwartz averaged 16.2 yards per catch on 22 receptions in 2018 but only 10.7 yards in 2019 and 11.8 last season.

"He can fly," said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said. "He was hurt the last couple of years because they didn't have a quarterback. Bo Nix has struggled with some accuracy issues throwing the ball. His average per catch didn't equate with a speed merchant but when he was a freshman with Jarrett Stidham he put up really good numbers."

If the Chiefs go for a wide receiver in the first round, they could also choose a player such as Rashod Bateman of Minnesota, who has his pro day on Thursday.

The Chiefs are set with their top two pass-catchers in Hill and tight end Travis Kelce. They combined last season for 192 catches, 2,692 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Watkins had many injuries and wasn't a consistent producer in his three seasons for the Chiefs but he had some big games and moments. He had nine catches for 198 yards and three touchdowns in a 2019 game against Jacksonville.

Watkins had a 60-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter of the 2019 AFC Championship Game that clinched the Chiefs' victory over the Tennessee Titans. His 38-yard catch in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV that season set up the Chiefs' go-ahead touchdown.

The Chiefs are looking to replace that.

"Typically, like most years, there are numbers from top down in the receiver position in the draft," Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said.

"I think there's depth in that position to address [receiver] potentially in the draft."

The problem with Schwartz is he doesn't have the mass to play X, which is what we really need.  Unless they think he can put on weight my concern with him at X is can he get off press coverage.  Dude has speed to burn but I think 2md round is a bit high for him considering how deep this WR class is.  He does keep showing up in my draft sims lol.  I usually take him in round 4 though.

11 minutes ago, xen said:

The problem with Schwartz is he doesn't have the mass to play X, which is what we really need.  Unless they think he can put on weight my concern with him at X is can he get off press coverage.  Dude has speed to burn but I think 2md round is a bit high for him considering how deep this WR class is.  He does keep showing up in my draft sims lol.  I usually take him in round 4 though.

What about Rashod Bateman?

As Xen pointed out, Schwartz is another Hardman with maybe the exception that he might have his head on straight.  He's a third day consideration.  There's plenty of bigger, stronger "X" possibilities they should consider ahead of Schwartz.  I've become more of a Dyami Brown fan for a second day pick at WR or maybe Terrace Marshall. .

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

What about Rashod Bateman?

Ideal choice for me.  Love that guy.  Doesnt have the best quickness but is a superior route runner and gets good enough separation that way.  

I view him similarly to Terrace Marshall.  Both have good top speed so can go get the long ball but both are perfect at X.

I argued with someone about Simi Fehoko, don't remember who, but I view him in the same way but have more concerns about how he'll get separation on short and intermediate routes.  Don't have those concerns with Bateman or Marshall cause I've seen them both do it working on the outside against man coverage. 

While both Bateman and Marshall did also work out of the slot, both also have a lot of snaps outside, though most of Marshall's outside snaps were from last year.

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Can't remember where I heard it but they had major concerns about Marshall.  How he was a product of that dynamic LSU 2019 team.   

Bateman turned some heads at his pro day with a great 40 time, but Dyami Brown is who I hope we nab in the 2nd.

Personally I don't see Brown making it to the end if the 2nd.  I agree though, like him a lot too.  

Marshall looked great this year as well, so I wouldn't put much stock into anybody that says Marshall is just a product of his surroundings in 2019.  Dude put up elite speed and explosion scores as well for his size.  Has produced at X and in the slot now.  

15 hours ago, xen said:

Personally I don't see Brown making it to the end if the 2nd.  I agree though, like him a lot too.  

Marshall looked great this year as well, so I wouldn't put much stock into anybody that says Marshall is just a product of his surroundings in 2019.  Dude put up elite speed and explosion scores as well for his size.  Has produced at X and in the slot now.  

You are right Xen.  It would be a miracle if Brown falls that far.  Truth is these scouts for teams will rank them how they think and he's likely to be gone before we draft at 31.   Guys like that who look the part and test the part fly under the radar because they play for less known football programs and have less talented qb's tossing them the ball.   Then some scouts over think it and allow DK Metcalf and McLaurin to fall out of the first round.  It really is a crazy crap shoot.  

On 3/31/2021 at 11:24 PM, Lamardirts said:

Can't remember where I heard it but they had major concerns about Marshall.  How he was a product of that dynamic LSU 2019 team.

Well he had 731 yards and had 10 tds in 7 games before opting out this year. That was without Burrow or Chase on the field. So clearly those concerns should be put to bed.

Went back and watched the cutups on Schwartz again.  Thought maybe I missed something.  

My concerns remain.  Played a lot of slot and gadget plays.  Nobody wanted to press him but that will not hold up in the pros at X.  He's probably slot only unless he can gain weight.  Goes down pretty easy as well.  

We already have that in Mecole.

I will say Schwartz could be better in the pros than in college.  His qb sucked and almost never was able to take advantage of his speed.  Didn't help though that Schwartz needs to learn how to stack corners and run routes.

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Too early?  There's several big receivers that will be available on day three.  Fehoko probably will be one of them.  

Agreed.  I'm ignoring the pundits who are crowing about his athleticism.  It's ok, good for his size but ok overall.  Some of the important metrics at WR are above average at least, good not great explosion metrics, same for strength, quickness and COD metrics.  Great size and top end speed for his size though.  Early day 3 for me.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Agreed.  I'm ignoring the pundits who are crowing about his athleticism.  It's ok, good for his size but ok overall.  Some of the important metrics at WR are above average at least, good not great explosion metrics, same for strength, quickness and COD metrics.  Great size and top end speed for his size though.  Early day 3 for me.

I just trying to figure out your thought process here.  But the guy that is 3" shorter,  ran a slower 40, has the same short shuttle and 3 come,  and only a 1/2" difference in vertical.  

Yet brown is a second round pick and is explosive?  And Fehoko explosion is average for his size? 

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

I just trying to figure out your thought process here.  But the guy that is 3" shorter,  ran a slower 40, has the same short shuttle and 3 come,  and only a 1/2" difference in vertical.  

Yet brown is a second round pick and is explosive?  And Fehoko explosion is average for his size? 

Explosion metrics are not the same as speed.  Think the jumps and 10 second split.  I usually also look at RAS scores and other metrics.  I also go by how they look watching the games or cutups, as well as how they get separation and get off press.  Once again I really like the player I just don't have him as high as others.  Short shuttle and 3 cone are less of a predictor for WR success than explosion metrics and tape. I also fully admit I'm still looking at players and trying to figure it out.   and of course I'm not a professional.  Just have my opinion.

Crazy how these measurables will mess up some preconceived ideas about players.   Fehoko has better overall number and 30lbs.   It’s why you don’t draft wrs or rbs in the first round.   Walker Littler with almost 34” arms makes me believe he will be our pick at 31....avg fans will moan and in 2022 those same fans will be singing his praises.   I’d rather get him in the 2nd but all these trex OTs gonna move him up as t he draft approaches.   COVID is gonna gift some teams some amazing players if they scout well!

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

The verticals are all similar too 

Brown also did more reps while 30 pounds lighter and broad jump was 8 inches longer, which is a lot.  Browns relative BJ for his size is elite.  Fehoko's BJ for his size is ok.  Certainly nothing to ding him too badly on.  

I also have been a bit skeptical of pro day times with no combine so I typically look only at the worst reported official measurement i can find while ignoring unofficial measurements.

Ultimately I believe we need an X.  If that's Fehoko, that's fine, I just like some other guys better.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Crazy how these measurables will mess up some preconceived ideas about players.   Fehoko has better overall number and 30lbs.   It’s why you don’t draft wrs or rbs in the first round.   Walker Littler with almost 34” arms makes me believe he will be our pick at 31....avg fans will moan and in 2022 those same fans will be singing his praises.   I’d rather get him in the 2nd but all these trex OTs gonna move him up as t he draft approaches.   COVID is gonna gift some teams some amazing players if they scout well!

Some teams probably too concerned with arm length.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I typically subscribe to the Howard Mudd theory (paraphrasing) "I don't care if you get there with length or quickness, just get to the fucking spot."

7 hours ago, Palangi said:

Curious where you think Fehoko will be drafted and what round you would be comfortable taking him in.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Some teams probably too concerned with arm length.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I typically subscribe to the Howard Mudd theory (paraphrasing) "I don't care if you get there with length or quickness, just get to the fucking spot."

I agree but shorter arms means they have to be considerably better in other areas.   If I can have both then I'd rather have both but I agree if they get the job done so be it.   

One concerning thing is the idea that these dominant RT's can just switch sides with little effort.   Would rather have a guy that played LT in college play LT in the pros.