Mocking pro days

Palangi

Here is a mock now that most pro days are getting over.  

1. Terrace Marshall WR LSU 6'3" 205- I know tackle is a huge need.  I'm not sure there is a guy with the pick here.  There are a couple guys I think we could get round 2 who would be higher picks if not for certain circumstances.  But here is a third option who can beat 1 on 1 coverage.  He had a similar 40 time as Watkins did.  But comes with more size.  LSU has put some good WR receivers out lately.  This could be another. 

2. Stone Forsythe OT Florida 6'8" 310- big physical blocker.  Showed very good athleticism at pro day.  Is one of the top pass blockers coming out this year.  Protecting Mahomes needs to be a priority.  I was thinking walker Little here.  He was looked at as a future first round pick until injury and opt out. But 1 game in 2 years is scary to think about.  Dan Moore could also be an potion. 

3. Derrick Barnes LB Purdue 6'1" 245- showed great explosion at pro day.  Is a very explosive tackler.  Can be the SLB his first year then move to MLB after next year when Hitchens can be released.  Is a very good pass rusher too. Him and Gay together would be an explosive duo in year 2.

4. Benjamin St Juste S Minnesota 6'3" 205- has great length.  Played CB in college but is drafted to replace Sorenson.  Can be a4th safety this year and learn.  Then take over year 2. Has good coverage skills to cover TE and bigger slot WR. Big improvement over Sorenson.  St Juste likes to play physical too. 

4. Payton Turner DE Houston 6'5" 270- big string DE that Spaggs loves.  Has a good push rush and bend.  Plays with tons of energy.  Has potential to be a starter.  Great length

5. Dante Smith OT East Carolina 6'5" 305- this dude has 35 1/2" arms.  He was only 290 at the senior bowl then 305 at pro day.  Has very good athleticism.  Needs 2 years to get stronger.  We need a solid swing tackle.  I believe Prince or this guy could kick inside to guard also.  

5. Nick Eubanks TE Michigan 6'5" 245- had a really good pro day.  Has shown to be a physical blocker.  I think the QB situation at Michigan hampered him done though in the passing game. 

6. Ambry Thomas CB Michigan 6' 190- a fast guy with some ability.  Struggled this last year in coverage.  But maybe it is more technique and coaching?  Can play on the edge or slot.

Roster

QB- Mahomes,  Henne, Ta'amu

RB- CEH, Williams,  Thompson

WR- Hill,  Marshall,  Hardman,  Robinson,  Pringle,  Callaway, Sharpe

TE- Kelce, Eubanks, Keiser (HB), Bell

LT- Forsythe, Smith

LG- Thuney, Rankin

C - Allegretti, Blythe, Williams 

RG- Long, Durant, Prince

RT- Niang, Remmers 

LE- Jones, Charlton, Ward

DT- Reed, Wharton, Edwards

NT- Nnadi, Saunders, Clark

RE- Clark, Danna, Turner

SLB- Barnes, Harris

MLB- Hitchens, Neimann 

WLB- Gay, DOD 

SS- Mathieu, Sorenson, St Juste

FS- Thornhill, Watts 

CB- Ward,  Baker, 

CB- Sneed, Keyes 

NB- Fenton, Thomas, Lammons

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

2 developmental rookie linemen at LT?  Mahomes might squawk some.

Jones is moving to DE?

I don't think Forsyth needs much development in pass protection.  Just run blocking.  I can live with that in round 2 especially if it comes with a starter at X.  He starts pretty quickly to me

Smith is a developmental tackle that could be even better at guard, or at least play there while he develops.  He needs a couple ham sammiches and some time in the weight room.  This, to me, is the type of guard Andy really wants for all those zone runs.

Marshall is just what the doctor ordered at X.  Really like him at the end of round 1.  

I think the CJ to DE thing is just more out of necessity with the current roster.  Don't think it will last and Turner is as good a flier as anybody that late in the draft.  

Also like Eubanks as a developmental receiving tight end.  Not much COD but has some speed and explosion, with nice hands.  Michigan's offense sucked and the injuries worry me but the price is right, Bob.  

Ambry Thomas i think is long gone by this pick put hey if he's there, potential starter in round 6 with inside out versatility is prettay, prettay good.  I wouldn't kick him to the curb.

I might keep St. Juste at outside corner and I'm a little lower on Barnes than most, though that's just nitpicking.

Personally I would think this would be a home run draft.

44 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't think Forsyth needs much development in pass protection.  Just run blocking.  I can live with that in round 2 especially if it comes with a starter at X.  He starts pretty quickly to me

Smith is a developmental tackle that could be even better at guard, or at least play there while he develops.  He needs a couple ham sammiches and some time in the weight room.  This, to me, is the type of guard Andy really wants for all those zone runs.

Marshall is just what the doctor ordered at X.  Really like him at the end of round 1.  

I think the CJ to DE thing is just more out of necessity with the current roster.  Don't think it will last and Turner is as good a flier as anybody that late in the draft.  

Also like Eubanks as a developmental receiving tight end.  Not much COD but has some speed and explosion, with nice hands.  Michigan's offense sucked and the injuries worry me but the price is right, Bob.  

Ambry Thomas i think is long gone by this pick put hey if he's there, potential starter in round 6 with inside out versatility is prettay, prettay good.  I wouldn't kick him to the curb.

I might keep St. Juste at outside corner and I'm a little lower on Barnes than most, though that's just nitpicking.

Personally I would think this would be a home run draft.

I didn't say that it was a bad draft.  I would just be leery of two rookies there.

I love the Marshall pick.  I have been saying he was worthy of 31 for awhile.

I don't think we even need to draft a guard, with the depth we have, unless someone drops.

I'm OK with everything else, and I agree that Barnes is too high, probably get him with one of the 4s.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

I didn't say that it was a bad draft.  I would just be leery of two rookies there.

I don't think we even need to draft a guard, with the depth we have, unless someone drops.

I'm OK with everything else, and I agree that Barnes is too high, probably get him with one of the 4s.

Who is playing right guard next year?  Currently no one under contract.

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

I've pretty much convinced myself that Marshall or Jaelan Phillips is gonna be the pick if we stay at 31.

21 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I've pretty much convinced myself that Marshall or Jaelan Phillips is gonna be the pick if we stay at 31.

I'd prefer Phillips.   Marshall will take time to develop and he will always be the 3rd option here, which we need but at 31 we need a key cog for this team.  Phillips could have 10 sacks his rookie year with Clark, Jones, and Reed on that Dline.  Marshall would be lucky to get 700 and 5 TD's with Hardman, DRob and Pringle back.   It also could allow us to walk away from Clark if he has another sub par year.   Also, I think we need to figure out how to develop wr's like the Steelers have done.    Draft more in the lower rounds.     Plus I'm just not that high on Marshall.   I know he's athletically gifted but his route running is suspect and we see how much that has stunted Hardman.

17 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd prefer Phillips.   Marshall will take time to develop and he will always be the 3rd option here, which we need but at 31 we need a key cog for this team.  Phillips could have 10 sacks his rookie year with Clark, Jones, and Reed on that Dline.  Marshall would be lucky to get 700 and 5 TD's with Hardman, DRob and Pringle back.   It also could allow us to walk away from Clark if he has another sub par year.   Also, I think we need to figure out how to develop wr's like the Steelers have done.    Draft more in the lower rounds.     Plus I'm just not that high on Marshall.   I know he's athletically gifted but his route running is suspect and we see how much that has stunted Hardman.

Not sure where that narrative comes from.  Marshall runs better routes than most wideouts when they come out.  He's not as good at it as say, Jeudy last year or Bateman this year, and he needs some work in that area, but he's no slouch.  Better right now than Mecole the last few years.

50 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Unfortunately I think the Super Bowl showed us we need a solid 3rd option.  And we could use a WR with size for the redzone and first down catches.  

LSU WR have been showing as of late they can play right away and contribute.  

3 hours ago, xen said:

Who is playing right guard next year?  Currently no one under contract.

Durant

Allegretti

FA

2022 draft pick

Who is going to play center next year?  Currently no one under contract.

2021 Draft

2(43)(from SFO) – Dyami Brown WR North Carolina

Trade 31 to SFO for 43 and 102.  X receiver.  After Brown’s pro day this is probably as far down as KC could trade and still draft him. 

2(52)(from Chi) – Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa

Trade 63 and 94 to Chicago for 52 and 164.

Veach said earlier in a press conference that he anticipated Fisher being ready for camp.  I still think they re-sign him to a 1 year deal.  This gives Brown some development time.

3(102)(from SFO) - Trill Williams CB Syracuse

4(136) – Patrick Jones II EDGE Pittsburgh

4(144) – Kenny Yeboah TE Ole Miss

5(164)(from Chi) – Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee

5(175) – Simi Fehoko WR Stanford

5(181) – Justin Hilliard SLB Ohio State

6(207) - Drake Jackson C, Kentucky

2021 6th traded to Tenn to move up for Keyes

2021 7th traded to Miami along with Washington for Miami’s 6th 

Roster:

QB:  Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Jordan Ta’amu

RB:  Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Darrell Williams, Darwin Thompson, Burton (FB)

WR:  Tyreek Hill, Dyami Brown, DeMarcus Robinson, Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Simi Fehoko

TE:  Travis Kelce, Blake Bell, Kenny Yeboah

OT:  Eric Fisher, Lucas Niang, Mike Remmers, Spencer Brown, Martinas Rankin, Prince Tega-Wonogho

OG: Joe Thuney, Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff, Kyle Long, Andrew Wylie, Yasir Durant

😄  Austin Blythe, Nick Allegretti, Drake Jackson

DE:  Frank Clark, Taco Charlton, Mike Danna, Patrick Jones II

DT:  Chris Jones, Derrick Nnadi, Jarran Reed, Tershawn Wharton, Khalen Saunders

LB:  Anthony Hitchens, Willie Gay, Darius Harris, Ben Niemann, Justin Hilliard, Dorian O’Daniel

CB:  L’Jarius Sneed, Charvious Ward, DeAndre Baker, Rashad Fenton, Trill Williams

S:  Tyrann Mathieu, Juan Thornhill, Dan Sorenson, Armani Watts, Reed Blankenship

K:  Harrison Butker

P:  Tommy Townsend

LS:  James Winchester

11 hours ago, xen said:

Not sure where that narrative comes from.  Marshall runs better routes than most wideouts when they come out.  He's not as good at it as say, Jeudy last year or Bateman this year, and he needs some work in that area, but he's no slouch.  Better right now than Mecole the last few years.

Watched him some and listening to the Arrowhead pride podcast and we both see some sloppy routes.  I mean I’m sure it can Be cleaned up but I’m not a fan of taking a wr in the first.  At some point we need to develop a couple.  The Steelers rarely used if ever a first on a wr and they are constantly stacked.   Again I won’t be upset if Veach and crew take him but they better hit on this draft.   Love Veach but you can’t miss as much as he has and keep your job forever.