Darnold traded

xen

42 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

For that return why didn’t they just hang on to him for the season no try again next year 

I thought it was more than he's worth.  Course I didn't like him coming out of college.  Too careless with the ball.

The nfl has recency bias so bad.   Darnold was ever bit the prospect Zack Wilson and any qb in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence.   Mahomes has risen the stock of Wilson and Lance in the hopes that teams land a gem, but in reality the chances of that happening for an organization like the NY Jets is laughable.   If I was the Panthers I'd trade a mid 2nd rounder to give him a shot.   I'm sure they would have rather had Watson before all his massage parlor hanky panky stuff came out but there is enough talent with Darnold that Matt Rhule and Joe Brady (Who took a less talented qb in Burrow and turned him into a stud) could turn him into an above avg qb.   Whoever the Jets draft is heading into a mess of an organization.     

I know it's not a steep price but curious about what the Panthers were thinking more than the Jets. Giving up one premium, one decent, and one late pick for a QB who consistently had more turnovers than touchdowns instead of trying to find someone in the draft. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I know it's not a steep price but curious about what the Panthers were thinking more than the Jets. Giving up one premium, one decent, and one late pick for a QB who consistently had more turnovers than touchdowns instead of trying to find someone in the draft. 

They have Matt Rhule and Joe Brady.   The NY Jets and Adam Gase ruin qbs.   I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick next year a premium pick.   You are right he had a rough year but talent wise he is just as good as most of the qb's in this draft minus Trevor.   I've never in my life seen a group qbs get hyped so much like this years class.   Everyone dogs on Mac Jones as being the product of the talent around him but every one of these qbs has benefited from incredible and superior talent and coaching except maybe Wilson who is being drafted #2 because of the Mahomes effect.   I could easily see none of these qb's being all that great in the pros.  While I don't love Darnold its a good situation for him and I think the price was adequate for the chance of developing your franchise qb.  Plus it allows Carolina to keep their picks this year and keep building the roster.  If Darnold doesn't work out then your probably drafting early next year with a roster more suitable to develop a rookie.     I also wonder if Deshaun Watson's situation has them panicking a little too or maybe they think they can work their magic with Darnold like Brady did with Burrow at LSU.   

I do know that the Panthers were a pretty decent team last year when CMC was healthy.   Maybe you are right and the best choice was standing pat, building your team up and then going all in next year with a team that could protect a rookie qb.   

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

They have Matt Rhule and Joe Brady.   The NY Jets and Adam Gase ruin qbs.   I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick next year a premium pick.   You are right he had a rough year but talent wise he is just as good as most of the qb's in this draft minus Trevor.   I've never in my life seen a group qbs get hyped so much like this years class.   Everyone dogs on Mac Jones as being the product of the talent around him but every one of these qbs has benefited from incredible and superior talent and coaching except maybe Wilson who is being drafted #2 because of the Mahomes effect.   I could easily see none of these qb's being all that great in the pros.  While I don't love Darnold its a good situation for him and I think the price was adequate for the chance of developing your franchise qb.  Plus it allows Carolina to keep their picks this year and keep building the roster.  If Darnold doesn't work out then your probably drafting early next year with a roster more suitable to develop a rookie.     I also wonder if Deshaun Watson's situation has them panicking a little too or maybe they think they can work their magic with Darnold like Brady did with Burrow at LSU.   

I do know that the Panthers were a pretty decent team last year when CMC was healthy.   Maybe you are right and the best choice was standing pat, building your team up and then going all in next year with a team that could protect a rookie qb.   

Could be the case. Foles hit rock bottom before bouncing back to win the SB. I don't know much about the QBs in this draft other than Lawrence but I would always prefer looking for the next hidden gem as opposed to a risky guy. I guess you are right as they might just be waiting on a better slot to pick their QB but they may have traded away valuable picks that could be used to move up when actually needed.  

On 4/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, reesebobby said:

I know there are some of these around, Steve DeBerg comes to mind.   Who are some quarterbacks that really improved with a change of scenery?

Tannehill comes to mind. Drew Brees is another, Though his last year in SD was solid.  

On 4/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, reesebobby said:

The Jets have made a mockery of drafting and developing quarterbacks. 

How does an owner tolerate the crap in their front office on down for so long?   The Jets are sitting on a gold mine but they can't access it because the owner is too dumb to hire a legit GM and Coach.   I'd be scared for whoever they draft at qb because the talent isn't the issue its all the drama that can easily derail a young qb especially a raw one that is uber talented.  

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

How does an owner tolerate the crap in their front office on down for so long?   The Jets are sitting on a gold mine but they can't access it because the owner is too dumb to hire a legit GM and Coach.   I'd be scared for whoever they draft at qb because the talent isn't the issue its all the drama that can easily derail a young qb especially a raw one that is uber talented.  

Joe Douglas has only been on the GM job for a year so don't see how you can blame him.  He was pretty well thought of in the scouting community.  He was smart enough to get rid of that shitty coach and QB so he may be alright.  Gonna have to draft better for sure.