Pipe dream for 4th pick

kkuenn

Atlanta is listening for possible trades for 4th pick. Not going to happen for us, but who would you take? Me, I would do left tackle and solidify the line for years to come. LT, Thuney, FA or draft Linderbaum,  RG as we have many, someone will rise up and Niang. 3 of those will be young linemen for us and help protect Mahomes. Could you imagine Pitts too at TE?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31203167/atlanta-falcons-open-trading-no-4-overall-draft-pick-source-says

Yeah LT would be the position in my mind or Chase at WR the problem is giving up the next 2 years first-round picks for a player that you will have to pay 20 plus million in 5 is hard to swallow.    I just hope we do a better job of identifying talent this year and start drafting better and wiser.   LB, RB, and WR really should be our first round picks.   Their positional value just isn't worth those picks.   

Gotta look at the 4 biggest impact positions: QB (out), Edge (no one worthy of #4 pick), CB and LT. Sewell is considered a generational talent at his position. Chiefs need a LT. Seems pretty straightforward.

Fortunately LT is deep this year and if the Chiefs want to get a solid player at the position they can. If somehow Darrisaw falls to the 20 spot do the Chiefs think about moving up? Seems less of a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

Gotta look at the 4 biggest impact positions: QB (out), Edge (no one worthy of #4 pick), CB and LT. Sewell is considered a generational talent at his position. Chiefs need a LT. Seems pretty straightforward.

Fortunately LT is deep this year and if the Chiefs want to get a solid player at the position they can. If somehow Darrisaw falls to the 20 spot do the Chiefs think about moving up? Seems less of a pipe dream.

while I agree, I just think this year with everyone trading picks to move way up, this was some what a relevant talent. I think they trade back between 7-10 range. I can see Denver moving up for a QB. Once that QB busts, Elway will be a goner.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

while I agree, I just think this year with everyone trading picks to move way up, this was some what a relevant talent. I think they trade back between 7-10 range. I can see Denver moving up for a QB. Once that QB busts, Elway will be a goner.

I kinda like old horserace screwing up Denver's chances at being a contender. If they get rid of him Denver might actually get someone competent. We don't want that.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

rumor mill is churning that the Bronco's may make a play for Bridgewater

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Elway is already gone as GM.  George Paton is the GM now.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

I know, but everyone knows elway has his fingers in it all. 

Possibly.  I don't think he'll be gone until the family fight over the franchise is over and depending on who wins maybe not even then.

I’d actually like to see about trading up to #12, Eagles, only using next year picks and a player.

Something like:

Eagles get

2022 1st

2022 2nd

Hardman

Chiefs get:

#12 for one of Sewell, Slater, Chase, Smith, Pitts or Waddle.  Think one would be left.  Then look at drafting down at #31 to gain an extra 2nd and 3rd so we then draft Little, Meinerz and Forsythe.

So we give up 4 total picks + Hardman and get a stud OL or WR/TE at #12 and then 3 stud OL players.

The only reason you give up that much is for a qb.  We already have one.   If your GM has to give up large chunks of the draft to grab a sure fire player (if there is such a thing) then your GM sucks.   I love Veach and think he excels at churning the bottom of the roster for talent, being good with the cap, and for his pounding the table for Mahomes, however his drafts have not been great.  We reach for player positions or players he likes at positions that aren't valued as much where we select them.   And to be honest it hasn't hurt us at all because he's good in other areas, but the two freak injuries to Mitch and Fisher have really put this team in a bind becauce of his drafts haven't quite panned out.   Again I'm not saying he should be fired or that I don't like him, but drafting a rb in the first last year and then not utilizing him and then a LB in the 2nd and quite literally playing the worst LB in the NFL over him is not a good way to build a dynasty.  WR's can be and should be developed especially in Reids system and they shouldn't be first round picks.  Running backs and LB's are the same.    This D thrives with crappy Linebackers and average DBs when the Dline generates pressure with 4....we are almost elite when we do.   So I understand upgrading those positions (LB & DB) when we can but you don't burn first and second round picks when you have major needs on that Dline.   Same with the O, especially this year with needs at both tackle positions.   We started to address it last year with Niang and I don't blame Veach for not knowing two iron men (Mitch and Eric) were going to get potentially career ending injuries this past year, but for our window to remain open Veach can't be making luxury picks with so many holes and depth issues on this team.   Mahomes is the key and people in the media forget because of that ugly loss.   We made the SB pretty easily with an absolute terrible oline and with just Hill, Kelce, Hardman, DRob, and Pringle and not utilizing CEH.   The only reason we lost that game was because Mahomes had no time and his receivers didn't bail him out when he did make a play PERIOD!    Get the stinking Oline fixed and keep the 1/2 billion dollar man upright and we will win lots of games.    Draft mulitple wr's in the middle of the draft and find a way of developing them. Apparently we lost a wr coach that Hill claims was helpful in his development, get coaches that can develop the wr instead of stashing future OC's there or whatever they are doing.  Our DB coaches are literally making chicken salad out of chicken crap we need that kind of coaching at the wr position.   Finally,  spend your high picks on premium positions to keep your cap manageable and also to play the comp pick game.    Ok morning rant is over and if you couldn't tell I'm not for burning picks to move up for a LT that plays in a weak conference and we don't know if he will be any better than half the prospects coming out this year.

8 hours ago, Balto said:

Falcons get:

2022 1st

2022 2nd

Hardman

Chiefs get:

#4, we draft Sewell, OT

Julio Jones

Yeah let's throw in our 2023 1st and get Ridley too.  Since their new HC/GM apparently want to start their tenure here by not drafting a potentially elite cost controlled player at #4 and trading away their 7 time pro bowl future HOF WR. Adding a 32 year old WR with a 23 million dollar cap number sounds like a win too!

Hey, this is fun!...

56 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah let's throw in our 2023 1st and get Ridley too.  Since their new HC/GM apparently want to start their tenure here by not drafting a potentially elite cost controlled player at #4 and trading away their 7 time pro bowl future HOF WR. Adding a 32 year old WR with a 23 million dollar cap number sounds like a win too!

Hey, this is fun!...

It’s not $23M it’s like $18M, $14M, $14M over the next three years.

but yes I agree....but I was only responding to OP and rumors about them wanting to trade down AND there is a ton of talk about trading away Julio now versus when he doesn’t have value any longer.

23 minutes ago, Balto said:

It’s not $23M it’s like $18M, $14M, $14M over the next three years.

but yes I agree....but I was only responding to OP and rumors about them wanting to trade down AND there is a ton of talk about trading away Julio now versus when he doesn’t have value any longer.

Then I guess I'd take Sewell too. As boring as that may sound, it's OUR biggest need.

9 hours ago, Balto said:

Falcons get:

2022 1st

2022 2nd

Hardman

Chiefs get:

#4, we draft Sewell, OT

Julio Jones

Dolphins got:

2022 1st 

2022 3rd

2023 1st

49ers got:

That is from 12 to 3.  But, 31 to 4 gets less compensation?  And a receiver who might never be more than a gadget player for one that has been a top 5 WR1 in the league, and can still play?

OK

Anyone else find it amazing that every year there are once in a decade players coming out that are can't miss prospects.   Have you ever seen a year where the qb group is as hyped as it is this year?   Look, I think Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are intriguing prospects but none of them are can't miss imo.   Lawrence is the closest thing and he looked pretty meh vs OSU.   

30 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Dolphins got:

2022 1st 

2022 3rd

2023 1st

49ers got:

That is from 12 to 3.  But, 31 to 4 gets less compensation?  And a receiver who might never be more than a gadget player for one that has been a top 5 WR1 in the league, and can still play?

OK

What your not considering is #4 would not be for a top QB.  If it was then sure, get more compensation, but the top 3 guys are gone now.

‘Also....

How is this not equal in what is being given up?

2021 1st

2022 1st

2023 1st

2022 3rd

VS

2021 1st

2022 1st

2021 2nd

2022 2nd

Hardman, WR with 2nd/3rd round value

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Anyone else find it amazing that every year there are once in a decade players coming out that are can't miss prospects.   Have you ever seen a year where the qb group is as hyped as it is this year?   Look, I think Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are intriguing prospects but none of them are can't miss imo.   Lawrence is the closest thing and he looked pretty meh vs OSU.   

Ya I think it happens a lot and reminds me of Cam Newton’s year when like several QBs, Ponder/locker/gabbert and such got drafted early because of the lockout scare I believe.

I guess this year with COVID teams don’t have enough bad or good film and will probably bite a couple of teams hard.

lol remember EJ Manual as a reach by the Bills ouch

41 minutes ago, Balto said:

What your not considering is #4 would not be for a top QB.  If it was then sure, get more compensation, but the top 3 guys are gone now.

‘Also....

How is this not equal in what is being given up?

2021 1st

2022 1st

2023 1st

2022 3rd

VS

2021 1st

2022 1st

2021 2nd

2022 2nd

Hardman, WR with 2nd/3rd round value

SFO's first is worth a lot more than KC's first and Hardman hasn't shown 2nd round value.  JMHO. 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

The only reason you give up that much is for a qb.  We already have one.   If your GM has to give up large chunks of the draft to grab a sure fire player (if there is such a thing) then your GM sucks.   I love Veach and think he excels at churning the bottom of the roster for talent, being good with the cap, and for his pounding the table for Mahomes, however his drafts have not been great.  We reach for player positions or players he likes at positions that aren't valued as much where we select them.   And to be honest it hasn't hurt us at all because he's good in other areas, but the two freak injuries to Mitch and Fisher have really put this team in a bind becauce of his drafts haven't quite panned out.   Again I'm not saying he should be fired or that I don't like him, but drafting a rb in the first last year and then not utilizing him and then a LB in the 2nd and quite literally playing the worst LB in the NFL over him is not a good way to build a dynasty.  WR's can be and should be developed especially in Reids system and they shouldn't be first round picks.  Running backs and LB's are the same.    This D thrives with crappy Linebackers and average DBs when the Dline generates pressure with 4....we are almost elite when we do.   So I understand upgrading those positions (LB & DB) when we can but you don't burn first and second round picks when you have major needs on that Dline.   Same with the O, especially this year with needs at both tackle positions.   We started to address it last year with Niang and I don't blame Veach for not knowing two iron men (Mitch and Eric) were going to get potentially career ending injuries this past year, but for our window to remain open Veach can't be making luxury picks with so many holes and depth issues on this team.   Mahomes is the key and people in the media forget because of that ugly loss.   We made the SB pretty easily with an absolute terrible oline and with just Hill, Kelce, Hardman, DRob, and Pringle and not utilizing CEH.   The only reason we lost that game was because Mahomes had no time and his receivers didn't bail him out when he did make a play PERIOD!    Get the stinking Oline fixed and keep the 1/2 billion dollar man upright and we will win lots of games.    Draft mulitple wr's in the middle of the draft and find a way of developing them. Apparently we lost a wr coach that Hill claims was helpful in his development, get coaches that can develop the wr instead of stashing future OC's there or whatever they are doing.  Our DB coaches are literally making chicken salad out of chicken crap we need that kind of coaching at the wr position.   Finally,  spend your high picks on premium positions to keep your cap manageable and also to play the comp pick game.    Ok morning rant is over and if you couldn't tell I'm not for burning picks to move up for a LT that plays in a weak conference and we don't know if he will be any better than half the prospects coming out this year.

Nailed it!  High picks should be for premium positions.  QB, OT, Edge, and CB are the only positions worth trading up for.  WR is also important, but the Chiefs have a premier talent there and shouldn't trade away high picks for a #2, especially with Kelce grabbing 1400 yards/year on top of Hill's production.  

If I'm trading up to 4 I'm taking Pitts.  I can find tackles and receivers.  I dont see any of the high tackles or receivers as generational.  Very good players but you hardly ever see a player like Pitts who can play X or tight end at that high of a level with that size and athleticism.  That said I wouldn't trade up that high so moot point.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not the volume, but Andrew Luck was considered generational and there were a few that thought RG3 would be a better pick. 

2 hours ago, xen said:

If I'm trading up to 4 I'm taking Pitts.  I can find tackles and receivers.  I dont see any of the high tackles or receivers as generational.  Very good players but you hardly ever see a player like Pitts who can play X or tight end at that high of a level with that size and athleticism.  That said I wouldn't trade up that high so moot point.

If you want Pitts, then you trade to 4, then trade down to 6 or 7 and take him.  This shit aint rocket surgery.