Not sure of the validity but this twitter links Chiefs to Orlando Brown

I think we've all assumed the Chiefs would at least reach out to the Ravens about Brown.   

Again don't know the validity of the source but looks like a 1st and another pick or a player.

So my question is would you trade our 31st pick and our 4th rounder for Brown?  

I think I would definitely make that trade.   2021 his cap hit would be 3.3 million and an extension wouldn't affect the cap until 2022.  

I don't know if I would do it for our 1st and 3rd but I would think about it.   My only concern would be his agility and ability when Mahomes drops back deep but I think he 

would be considerably better than anyone we could get at 31 or even 20 for that matter.

PHOTO-2021-04-16-20-14-06.jpg

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Would be nice to have that position locked down with a known good player.

I just think after the last time Veach traded our first for a player and then gave said player a new contract, some people would feel more comfortable drafting and developing our own guy and having him on a 4 yr deal w the option for a 5th.

Clark absolutely helped us win a SB, but the dude was MIA last year and is one of the more expensive defensive players in the league. And we can't really restructure him because we have an out after this season that could free up over 13 mill and after 2022 that can free up over 20 mill.

Do we want to find ourselves in a similar scenario with Brown? I realize they are completely different positions, but at least if we draft a bust at 31 the cap ramifications aren't magnified like they are with Clark and could be with Brown if we trade for him, extend him, then find out he's a bad fit in our offense.

I think the talk about firing Veach is comical, but he also needs to show that he learns from his mistakes rather than repeating them. With a couple really good top to bottom drafts he has the chance to have this team out of cap trouble entirely in a few yrs, and we all know that this thing has to be built so our roster isn't nearly as top heavy going forward,  from a financial and talent standpoint. 

That's going to require Reid and Co. to actually trust some young players and being willing to play them early. 

No, I absolutely hate these scenerios where you give away a 1st rounder and are then committed to giving the player a top 5 contract at their position because they have all the leverage.

chiefs have to stop giving away their high skilled cheap 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks now that mahomes is making 40 mil a year

multiple high picks plus 15 mil a year contract = barf scenerio imo

52 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I just think after the last time Veach traded our first for a player and then gave said player a new contract, some people would feel more comfortable drafting and developing our own guy and having him on a 4 yr deal w the option for a 5th.

Clark absolutely helped us win a SB, but the dude was MIA last year and is one of the more expensive defensive players in the league. And we can't really restructure him because we have an out after this season that could free up over 13 mill and after 2022 that can free up over 20 mill.

Do we want to find ourselves in a similar scenario with Brown? I realize they are completely different positions, but at least if we draft a bust at 31 the cap ramifications aren't magnified like they are with Clark and could be with Brown if we trade for him, extend him, then find out he's a bad fit in our offense.

I think the talk about firing Veach is comical, but he also needs to show that he learns from his mistakes rather than repeating them. With a couple really good top to bottom drafts he has the chance to have this team out of cap trouble entirely in a few yrs, and we all know that this thing has to be built so our roster isn't nearly as top heavy going forward,  from a financial and talent standpoint. 

That's going to require Reid and Co. to actually trust some young players and being willing to play them early. 

Are we in cap trouble?  Doesn't seem like it.  As you say, Clark's contract was built with an out after this year, with 40 million in cap savings over the following 2 years, leaving Pat, Thuney and CJ as our only big long term contracts.  Also Kelce but his contract is a bargain and also has an easy out or restructure after this year.

Just now, xen said:

Are we in cap trouble?  Doesn't seem like it.  As you say, Clark's contract was built with an out after this year, with 40 million in capital savings over the following 2 years, leaving Pat, Thuney and CJ as our only big long term contracts.  Also Kelce but his contract is a bargain and also has an easy out or restructure after this year.

Well if we have 6 or 7 obvious holes and 10 mill in cap space, I wouldn't call that enviable. When we have depth pieces like Wylie and Niemann on our team I'd say, yes. In the short term.

Long term the idea of the Chiefs going into offseasons without having to release anyone significant and being able to add impact players should scare other teams. I feel like we need to draft better to do that. 

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well if we have 6 or 7 obvious holes and 10 mill in cap space, I wouldn't call that enviable. When we have depth pieces like Wylie and Niemann on our team I'd say, yes. In the short term.

Long term the idea of the Chiefs going into offseasons without having to release anyone significant and being able to add impact players should scare other teams. I feel like we need to draft better to do that. 

You're talking about one year, this year.  And we're still in the middle of it.  Next year we could be around 150 if they release Clark as a post June 1.  After that we're pretty clear and the cap will start to explode.  Frankly if it wasn't for the covid cap issues we wouldn't be as close even this year or next.  Much ado about nothing, imo.

1 hour ago, xen said:

You're talking about one year, this year.  And we're still in the middle of it.  Next year we could be around 150 if they release Clark as a post June 1.  After that we're pretty clear and the cap will start to explode.  Frankly if it wasn't for the covid cap issues we wouldn't be as close even this year or next.  Much ado about nothing, imo.

Sorry my concerns about the cap aren't important enough to register on your radar, floppy tits. 

Brown would be extended but his cap hit this year would only be 3.3 million.   Next year Hitchens and LDT comes off the books.    I understand y'alls position and I agree to a certain point.   However,  we draft a bust at 31 who plays LT this year?   Okung?  Ok what if he gets hurt 8 games in?   We will find ourselves pissing away another SB opportunity because we couldn't address one of the most important positions on the field.   Essentially the only rough year could be next year if we keep Frank for 2022 but after that Frank can be cut.  So not sure how this puts us in cap hell.   We lost a SB because our Oline couldn't protect Mahomes and give him time.    If we want to see a dynasty we are going to have to pony up for premier positions.    Eric Fisher was a good LT but he was going to make 16 million this year, and he wasn't amazing.  Also if done correctly we have a cost controlled RT for the next 4 years or for the duration of Browns extension.   Thuney is expensive but we have the chance to draft a center and develop another guard on the cheap which would mitigate those two bigger contracts.    

Sign Ingram, Houston or Olivier.

Trade for Brown.

Draft a center or wr at 63 

Draft the other at 94.

Go win a SB.  

15 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I know it's all about what the market dictates but if we are giving up a 1st + another pick and a huge deal to any linemen he should be at Quenton Nelson level. 

I agree if he's asking 20 plus but if he takes 18 million per year that's not huge.  We were going to pay Fisher 16....an above avg LT but nothing amazing.   I do agree that paying him elite money should be a deal-breaker.    At the end of the day, I think Veach called to inquire and the Ravens will use the Chiefs like every other FA/Team to drive up the price.  Which I'm fine with.  If we can't have him force the other team to pay more.   

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Brown would be extended but his cap hit this year would only be 3.3 million.   Next year Hitchens and LDT comes off the books.    I understand y'alls position and I agree to a certain point.   However,  we draft a bust at 31 who plays LT this year?   Okung?  Ok what if he gets hurt 8 games in?   

Wouldn't the player we draft at 31 be who plays LT this year? Are you saying that we will know if he is a bust by mid-season?

That does sound like a very chiefs fan-esque perspective. "Well he's halfway through his first season and isn't dominating...what a bum. Fire Veach."

Im also concerned this guy thrived in a run first system whereas this is a pass first and mahomes creates extra time in the pocket by scrambling. Its a long time for a tackle to pass block and this guy is not a known pass blocking stud. Too many red flags for me. I don’t believe brown would definitely be a better tackle in our system than an early round pick

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Wouldn't the player we draft at 31 be who plays LT this year? Are you saying that we will know if he is a bust by mid-season?

That does sound like a very chiefs fan-esque perspective. "Well he's halfway through his first season and isn't dominating...what a bum. Fire Veach."

No we wouldn't but your taking a risk that he isn't a bust and I'm merely pointing out Orlando Brown is a known commodity.    I'm fine with drafting a first -ound OT but some people here think sitting behind a LT for half a season will all of a sudden get him game read for the playoffs.    If that is our only option then it is what it is.   Orlando Brown might not be a good fit and if he isn't I'm ok not trading for him but we lost a SB because our LT got hurt and our backup wasn't very good.   I think Orlando Brown is a good option and if the cost isn't too high I'd be down for trading for him.   

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im also concerned this guy thrived in a run first system whereas this is a pass first and mahomes creates extra time in the pocket by scrambling. Its a long time for a tackle to pass block and this guy is not a known pass blocking stud. Too many red flags for me. I don’t believe brown would definitely be a better tackle in our system than an early round pick

Question:  Does Mahomes scramble because Mahomes loves to scramble or does Mahomes scramble because our craptastic Oline forces him to scramble.  I'd say the latter is mainly to blame.   I do agree he might not be a great fit and if he isn't so be it, but the idea that some of these OT's in the back end of the first with short arms are going to be drastically better is a little crazy.   

18 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Question:  Does Mahomes scramble because Mahomes loves to scramble or does Mahomes scramble because our craptastic Oline forces him to scramble.  I'd say the latter is mainly to blame.   I do agree he might not be a great fit and if he isn't so be it, but the idea that some of these OT's in the back end of the first with short arms are going to be drastically better is a little crazy.   

just a thought and I know it's not very Andy like but IF we had a road grader of an LT and  respected running game the pass  rush may not be quite as intense therefore letting MVPAT have that extra second

42 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

No we wouldn't but your taking a risk that he isn't a bust and I'm merely pointing out Orlando Brown is a known commodity.    I'm fine with drafting a first -ound OT but some people here think sitting behind a LT for half a season will all of a sudden get him game read for the playoffs.    If that is our only option then it is what it is.   Orlando Brown might not be a good fit and if he isn't I'm ok not trading for him but we lost a SB because our LT got hurt and our backup wasn't very good.   I think Orlando Brown is a good option and if the cost isn't too high I'd be down for trading for him.   

I'm just concerned he isn't a good fit because of the need for our tackles to block so long on Pats deep drops. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm just concerned he isn't a good fit because of the need for our tackles to block so long on Pats deep drops. 

I actually share that concern on Brown.  He had historically bad testing coming out of OU.  Like just comically bad.  He can play for sure but I just don't know how he fits what we like to do.

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

just a thought and I know it's not very Andy like but IF we had a road grader of an LT and  respected running game the pass  rush may not be quite as intense therefore letting MVPAT have that extra second

Absolutely agree but Andy will never do that.  It's sad actually.   Great coach but gets in his own way too often.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Absolutely agree but Andy will never do that.  It's sad actually.   Great coach but gets in his own way too often.

#Truth. He's had the roster and the staff to win about 5 SBs but he's consistently made the same mistakes for 2 decades. Took a transcendent talent to get him over the hump. One who counterbalances Reids flaws.

Hard to turtle up blow second half leads when your QB is looking 40 yards downfield on every play and when you are up by 4 scores. = The Mahomes effect.

Takes the clock and timeout mismanagement out of the equation too. = The Mahomes Effect

Makes it look even smarter for forgetting that it's OK to run the ball more than 10 times in a game, because putting it in Pats hands is never a bad idea. = The Mahomes Effect

1st and goal from the 4 in the first quarter. "Let's call a double reverse, halfback pass. We will score on this."  3 and 17 from your own 43 trailing with 4 minutes left in the game. "Let's call a halfback counter. We will score on this." None of it matters when your record is 11-2. = The Mahomes Effect. 

Great coach. Love the guy. We are lucky to having him. But his loyalty and stubborn refusal to make personnel adjustments was something even Mahomes couldn't overcome in our last game. Then in his presser after the game he admitted that leaving 5 guys in to block on 92% of our pass drops and giving them no help was something he hadn't even thought about. Even at halftime it didn't occur to him to adjust. = The Reid Effect. 

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Then in his presser after the game he admitted that leaving 5 guys in to block on 92% of our pass drops and giving them no help was something he hadn't even thought about. Even at halftime it didn't occur to him to adjust. = The Reid Effect. 

It obviously wasn’t something EB, or Heck, or any of the other offensive coaches thought about either.  Or, they just didn’t have balls to suggest it to AR.

57 minutes ago, SEMO said:

It obviously wasn’t something EB, or Heck, or any of the other offensive coaches thought about either.  Or, they just didn’t have balls to suggest it to AR.

How does that happen? How does one coach not say "hey we need to slow down this pass rush, maybe we leave in a TE, and try some more run heavy formations..."

I realize we didn't have a TE last yr that could block worth a shit, and I think resigning Bell is gonna be much more important than people realize.

But damn...

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How does that happen? How does one coach not say "hey we need to slow down this pass rush, maybe we leave in a TE, and try some more run heavy formations..."

I realize we didn't have a TE last yr that could block worth a shit, and I think resigning Bell is gonna be much more important than people realize.

But damn...

Yeah even if you put Kelce out wide or at the slot and brought in another TE to block.   Gotta double Hill and Kelce out wide leaving 7 on 8 if you take out Mahomes.  Gotta be able to do something with those numbers.   Had we not got screwed so hard in that 2nd quarter by the refs we might have felt more comfortable trying to run to get back in it but being down 21-6 was rough.   I don't know why such a great coach and genius play-caller gets so hung up on things.  Sometimes simpler is better.   Mahomes can catch every record and he doesn't need to throw for 5000/50 to get there.   Avg 32 for the next 15 years which is chump change for Mahomes and he breaks Tom's record.   We don't have to sling it across the yard on every play.   If we had a running game we would literally be unstoppable.  Starts with the Oline.  Develop your wr's don't buy them or overpay them.   Pay the fatties up front because even with less stellar WR's if your Oline is great you can run, play action, and scheme your less talented guys open.    Of you pay for elite wr's and no Oline and you get the SB.   

This is a big offseason for the Chiefs.  We draft poorly like we've done in the past and we waste a lot of these talented guys prime.   Veach does a lot of things great but he hasn't drafted great and wasting a generational talent like Mahomes is a fireable offense.   GB had Farve and Rodgers and won 2......just 2 SB in over 20 years of play.   Because they stuck to some stupid antiquated system of putting talent around him and often times over investing in the D.   Hope we don't do the same here.