Alex Smith retiring

36 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Bring him back as qb coach

Serious question, what do you think he would have to offer Mahomes at this point?  I know their relationship was good and Alex was a good mentor.  But he would have to learn how to be a coach, and I'm not sure what he could offer for Mahomes continued development.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

yea he's loaded with a hot wife..I'd never look back if it was me.

He was loaded with a hot wife and a nearly ruined leg and he came back for the love of the game.  Not inconceivable that he might miss it.  Or maybe down the road.  It's a long retirement ahead when you are 36 and healthy. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

He was loaded with a hot wife and a nearly ruined leg and he came back for the love of the game.  Not inconceivable that he might miss it.  Or maybe down the road.  It's a long retirement ahead when you are 36 and healthy. 

Maybe.  But, as of right now he says he is not putting his wife and kids through any more moves.

Alex strikes me as a guy who will go create and CEO a nonprofit.

It is a pity his career got crushed with that injury. Not that I think he’d have won anything significant. But his comeback to take the field again shows a heckuva lot of character. He is a winner of a person, just not anything more than the pictorial and quintessential definition of game manager at QB. He is the guy who likely overachieved due to superior effort and work ethic, while guys like Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, or Jemarcus Russell fail because they don’t have the right head and ethic. If you get the combo of brain, ethic, and talent, you get the Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Wilson type QB.

10 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea he's loaded with a hot wife..I'd never look back if it was me.

Why can't he coach and have a hot wife at the same time?  😉  Reid indicated that Smith isn't interested in coaching and that's understandable but sometimes players just miss the game and locker room comradery.  It wouldn't be surprising if he took a year or two off and then came back to the game in some capacity. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Why can't he coach and have a hot wife at the same time?  😉  Reid indicated that Smith isn't interested in coaching and that's understandable but sometimes players just miss the game and locker room comradery.  It wouldn't be surprising if he took a year or two off and then came back to the game in some capacity. 

Yep, I see him getting bored in a year or two and coming back as a coach or a pundit. He probably wants to spend more time with his family after focusing on the recovery and getting back to NFL shape but at some point he'll move on to the next stage of his career. 

I like Alex Smith, appreciate his time in KC. They won some games with him at the helm, lots of games. He was a great mentor to Mahomes. But.. He couldn’t, or wouldn’t, or was incapable, of throwing the ball Down the field!! The Chiefs got close to being a team that could win it all but.. That playoff loss.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesonline.com/sports/20171012/chiefs-havent-forgotten-playoff-loss-to-pittsburgh-steelers-in-arrowhead%3ftemplate=ampart

The lack of a Qb who could take the team on his back and win, was so very evident, Mahomes was drafted the very next April. 

Just saying 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, gochiefsgo said:

I like Alex Smith, appreciate his time in KC. They won some games with him at the helm, lots of games. He was a great mentor to Mahomes. But.. He couldn’t, or wouldn’t, or was incapable, of throwing the ball Down the field!! The Chiefs got close to being a team that could win it all but.. That playoff loss.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesonline.com/sports/20171012/chiefs-havent-forgotten-playoff-loss-to-pittsburgh-steelers-in-arrowhead%3ftemplate=ampart

The lack of a Qb who could take the team on his back and win, was so very evident, Mahomes was drafted the very next April. 

Just saying 

He led the league in deep passes in 2017*, but yes, plays left on the field was frustrating. *Of course, Mahomes improved from Smith’s numbers, but no one’s comparing.

9 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

You know the only team Smith never beat as an opposing QB? The Chiefs. 0-2 or 0-3 in SF. Didn’t play with Washington. Beat SF with Washington.

Yes, I know, he’s caused Chiefs losses as the QB. Hardeeharhar.

Man, you should have just gone with the joke, that's a good one.