Niang at LT?

I don’t know if you can rely on him to be successful their enough to focus on RT. Even if that is the plan, I try to draft a LT. Tempers played RT well and Long has a chance also. It is sparse at LT.

I also worry he opted out because he wasn’t healthy yet.

17 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I actually wouldn't mind this.  He was an elite pass protector in college.  Has good size and length.  Would allow us to draft a RT in rounds 2 or 3. 

I asked this question weeks ago and got shot down.  Seems to me he has the physical traits, the question is if he can learn it, which I'm not in a position to evaluate.

If this has a real chance of happening then I still wouldn't mind a tackle who can play either side in Round 1, but I would also be open to drafting a WR.

What if Long or Remmers are being looked at as the stop gap? That's why we haven't signed anyone.  They have Niang penciled in at LT. One of those 2 at RT. Draft a Forsythe or brown in round 2 for RT. Forsythe played left and right at Florida. 

Also could Durant have been sent with certain things this offseason to work on? He got reps at RT last year too. 

Yup, that's what I said before.  Long/Remmers as stopgap RT.

LT - Niang

LG - Thuney

C - Blythe / Allegretti

RG - LDT / Long

RT - Remmers / Long

Draft for depth and development and I think I'm kind of okay with that?  It's definitely better than what we rolled out in the Super Bowl (unless Niang is some sort of disaster), and maybe better than most of what we had last season, at least after Osemele went down.

52 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I asked this question weeks ago and got shot down.  Seems to me he has the physical traits, the question is if he can learn it, which I'm not in a position to evaluate.

If this has a real chance of happening then I still wouldn't mind a tackle who can play either side in Round 1, but I would also be open to drafting a WR.

Yeah,  I argued with you. I guess Niang is viewed as even more important than I might have thought. I like it. 

I'm fine with any position as long as he's starting at a decent level somewhere on the line. Reid sounds a bit too vague to actually consider it serious talk but if they looked at him seriously for the left side he could end up being a very nice surprise. 

Might be why they love them some Tevin Jenkins because they view him as the starting RT.    Regardless it gives the team options if one plays better at LT then leave him if not move him over and give that guy a shot at LT.   

The Doyle kid is talented and was recruited and I believe went to a power five school but had some off field issues that I think were pretty severe.  Still nice measurables.

I also wonder if this is coach speak to throw people off our selection at 31.   Niang in his work out videos was striclty practicing from the right side....so who knows!

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Might be why they love them some Tevin Jenkins because they view him as the starting RT.    Regardless it gives the team options if one plays better at LT then leave him if not move him over and give that guy a shot at LT.   

The Doyle kid is talented and was recruited and I believe went to a power five school but had some off field issues that I think were pretty severe.  Still nice measurables.

I also wonder if this is coach speak to throw people off our selection at 31.   Niang in his work out videos was striclty practicing from the right side....so who knows!

Not saying you are wrong, but where did you hear the Chiefs loved Jenkins? I could have read this myself, but if I did, I forgot. 

I think you don't want two rookies starting as your bookends. As long as one of them has experience (Remmers/Long), I'm OK with putting a rook or Niang in there. Thuney will expedite his progress and help him clean up edge rushers when needed. We also now have a decent blocking TE which which we sorely missed last year. Pat was dominating all year and had one bad game when his line was a shit show going against a top 5 pass rush. Our line is already 100% better than last year. We are finally going to create some holes up the middle....can't wait!

36 minutes ago, Balto said:

Niang could be a great LT if his issues the last time he played were actually due to injury not skill.  Otherwise RT for me

I'm not sure what this means.  He had issues at LT?  I thought people were saying he hadn't really played at LT since high school?  I don't know his scouting report as well as a lot of you.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but where did you hear the Chiefs loved Jenkins? I could have read this myself, but if I did, I forgot. 

I think I read somewhere that they liked him, love was probably strong.  I think a lot of KC Chiefs analyst love him.    I'm sure it was an embellishment on my part.

I just want niang to play where he is best and not just insert him into LT because its “more important”

that mindset killed us in the superbowl by moving remmers from rt to lt and weakening 3 positions on the line for no reason. Not that our line was good with remmers at rt, but at least there was some continuity on the right side. Would have been better off keeping the right side intact and accepting a terrible LT performance in the superbowl and plan around it.

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

As i said, this was obviously the plan all along, and i was bashed for suggesting it. Let them heal up and return mid season as a stop gap player.

its not ideal, obviously you want young studs all over the line, but if the draft picks dont work out and we dont sign a villaneuva for LT, i would feel much more comfortable with fischer or schwartz, even at 75% of their capabilities, than a random undrafted free agent for an emergency situation 

9 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

As i said, this was obviously the plan all along, and i was bashed for suggesting it. Let them heal up and return mid season as a stop gap player.

its not ideal, obviously you want young studs all over the line, but if the draft picks dont work out and we dont sign a villaneuva for LT, i would feel much more comfortable with fischer or schwartz, even at 75% of their capabilities, than a random undrafted free agent for an emergency situation 

You can say "I told you so" when one of them actually comes back and is healthy.  I never would have said KC wasn't keeping the door open.  Just that it wasn't what they were relying on.  You don't cut guys and let them stay free agents if your absolute plan is to have them on your roster.

21 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Leaving the door open for some possibilities isn't really a plan and even if they were actually considering it two aging big guys coming back from major surgeries in time to contribute is a terrible plan. 

I'm not opposing the idea of bringing either guy back but there's no way it could actually be a plan. 

Well they sure wouldn't go after Williams if Niang was up to the task and being so aggressive makes me think Niang is further away from the LT job than we are hoping for. We might end up with Niang at LT but definitely not a sure thing and may not end up being his ideal position.

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Well they sure wouldn't go after Williams if Niang was up to the task and being so aggressive makes me think Niang is further away from the LT job than we are hoping for. We might end up with Niang at LT but definitely not a sure thing and may not end up being his ideal position.

Counterpoint:  what if they legitimately see Niang as someone who could potentially play either?  Then you could go after a great LT and stick Niang at RT.  But if you can't get your LT maybe you put Niang there next to a high quality LG and try to solve RT instead.

I don't know.  This all could be misinformation by Andy.  But some players make the switch and I think Niang has at least the physical characteristics to have a chance.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Why would you insert a stop gap player in the middle of the season? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a "stop gap" player?