What I'd like to see in the first couple of rounds

Balto

First I just don't like the idea of trading UP this year unless its something crazy like Falcons at #4 for Sewell + Julio haha OR a team with a vet LT Veach wants, maybe Armstead or Brown?

#31:  I want either

Teven Jenkins, OT

Caleb Farley, CB

Creed Humphrey, OC

Then if all three gone look at trading down.

If can't trade down look at Jayson Oweh, DE or maybe a WR...but trading down should not be hard if my top 3 guys are gone.

2nd round:

Now if we traded down this is when I take a HARD look at drafting Quinn Meinerz, OC here around the 50's.  I have LOVED this guy but sadly he keeps moving up draft boards and getting him at #63 just probably wont happen.  If we do trade down and Meinerz is off the board we look at over drafting a little BUT still take either Spencer Brown, OT or Walker Little, OT.  Both I feel are 10+ year starting left tackles with both needing a full camp and maybe more to start.

Lets also say we drafted Jenkins at #31.....Then we can either look at moving UP to grab Meinerz or sit tight at #63 and take which ever OL is on the board in Brown, Little, Stone or even Dickerson, OC out of Bama who I believe is dropped out of the 1st ONLY because of health history.  Big if but if he stays healthy could be a steal at the end of the 2nd.  Yes I know taking Jenkins in the 1st then another tackle in the 2nd?  Won't happen I'm sure but we also can't have to many tackles!  Never know what Niang will give us as well!  Could also be a Watkins replacement on the board at #63.

Lets say we drafted Farley at #31!!!!  This is my wish btw!  If this happens I will for sure look at 1 of my 3 tackles and maybe even trade up!  Brown, Little and Stone are the 3.  Could pair #63 with next years 3rd or 4th and get the guy we want I'm sure.  OR stay at #63 and I'm sure 1 will be sitting there still.  Regardless if Farley is our #31 pick we must grab that tackle in round 2 IMO.

Lets say Creed is drafted.  I still think a trade down could happen before Veach takes Creed IF its good value but if he gets crap offers and Creed is sitting there I say we take him and lock up center for 10+ years.  Then just like if we would of taken Farley, our 2nd must be a tackle even if it means draft up a little at #63.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I'd also consider Terrance Marshall or Bateman at 31 if they fall.  But i consider Z receiver almost as big a need as LT.

I like the idea of getting the lines taken care of so LT and edge ...and then I'd put receiver third. For the record I think Marshall is.gonna be really good and would not be upset if the Chiefs grabbed him at 31.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I'd also consider Terrance Marshall or Bateman at 31 if they fall.  But i consider Z receiver almost as big a need as LT.

I’m still hoping Pringle can fill in or exceed Watkins replacement.

AFAIK, Veach doesn't trade down.  If he did, the perfect scenario would be Mac Jones falling to #31 and some team wanting him on a five year rookie deal.  Cosme, Radunz, Brown, and Forsythe are good targets in the mid second and a trade down to pick up one of them PLUS another top 100 pick would be perfect.  I've played around with several draft simulators and it's pretty easy to get value while filling needs except for edge rushers.  If the Chiefs draft to replace Fisher, Sammy, Neiman, and Breeland, it's hard to fit in a quality DE.  Maybe with that trade down the Chiefs could get Dyami Brown and Stone Forsythe in the second and Josh Meyers in the third.  We can dream.  BTW:  I really hope the Chiefs avoid Walker Little.  He may have good tape from 2018 but has shown nothing since including his pro day.  

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

AFAIK, Veach doesn't trade down.  If he did, the perfect scenario would be Mac Jones falling to #31 and some team wanting him on a five year rookie deal.  Cosme, Radunz, Brown, and Forsythe are good targets in the mid second and a trade down to pick up one of them PLUS another top 100 pick would be perfect.  I've played around with several draft simulators and it's pretty easy to get value while filling needs except for edge rushers.  If the Chiefs draft to replace Fisher, Sammy, Neiman, and Breeland, it's hard to fit in a quality DE.  Maybe with that trade down the Chiefs could get Dyami Brown and Stone Forsythe in the second and Josh Meyers in the third.  We can dream.  BTW:  I really hope the Chiefs avoid Walker Little.  He may have good tape from 2018 but has shown nothing since including his pro day.  

Screenshot_20210419-222835_Chrome.jpg

...and that compares how to Cosmi, Brown, Jenkins, Radunz, or several other Chief's possibilities?  Little may become a top OT in this year's draft, but the warning signs are there and the Chiefs can't afford a whiff.  If they miss on a WR or edge, they can at least compete.  At the moment, they have no one to play LT that's credible in spite of Reid's presser where he named Remmers and Wylie as candidates along with Niang.  In the same manner, I'm not thrilled about Darrisaw.  Just the rumors about his lack of intensity and motivation are enough to at least be very careful about interviews and tapes.  Rather a good OT on every down than some big wins and a few critical fails.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

...and that compares how to Cosmi, Brown, Jenkins, Radunz, or several other Chief's possibilities?  Little may become a top OT in this year's draft, but the warning signs are there and the Chiefs can't afford a whiff.  If they miss on a WR or edge, they can at least compete.  At the moment, they have no one to play LT that's credible in spite of Reid's presser where he named Remmers and Wylie as candidates along with Niang.  In the same manner, I'm not thrilled about Darrisaw.  Just the rumors about his lack of intensity and motivation are enough to at least be very careful about interviews and tapes.  Rather a good OT on every down than some big wins and a few critical fails.  

Not comparing Little but thats an excellent profile for a tackle.

Not buying the Darrisaw rumors.  Someone is spreading that hoping he drops.  You don't make the technique improvements he has in the last few years without a good work ethic.  I'd jump to the podium if he was in reach.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Not comparing Little but thats an excellent profile for a tackle.

Not buying the Darrisaw rumors.  Someone is spreading that hoping he drops.  You don't make the technique improvements he has in the last few years without a good work ethic.  I'd jump to the podium if he was in reach.

Are you insinuating that Ryan Tracy could be wrong?  😉

1 hour ago, xen said:

Oh that guy.  Well listen I'm sure he's hearing chatter but that’s all it is I think.  

Seth Keyser came up with the same take on Darrisaw based on tapes.  Probably not a big problem and may be a result of the VT system, but something that teams should check out.  No question, he has the talent and it's too far for the Chiefs to move up to get him.  JMHO

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Seth Keyser came up with the same take on Darrisaw based on tapes.  Probably not a big problem and may be a result of the VT system, but something that teams should check out.  No question, he has the talent and it's too far for the Chiefs to move up to get him.  JMHO

Hmmm maybe I should watch Darrisaw again.  Fwiw Seth does agree with me that Jenkins can play on the left or right 

2 hours ago, xen said:

Hmmm maybe I should watch Darrisaw again.  Fwiw Seth does agree with me that Jenkins can play on the left or right 

TBH, my concerns about Darrisaw are hearsay.  It just that there have been so many times that talented players don't live up to potential that it would seem better to take a bit less natural ability and size and a little more of the HB attitude.  As for Jenkins, have there been concerns that he could only play on the right?  Hard to believe he's moved up to around the #20 spot on so many boards if he was restricted that way.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

TBH, my concerns about Darrisaw are hearsay.  It just that there have been so many times that talented players don't live up to potential that it would seem better to take a bit less natural ability and size and a little more of the HB attitude.  As for Jenkins, have there been concerns that he could only play on the right?  Hard to believe he's moved up to around the #20 spot on so many boards if he was restricted that way.  

I’m thinking his 32 inch arms are playing a major part of those “only RT” types.  I think if Veach drafted Jenkins it says more about his faith in Niang playing either side than Jenkins /shrug.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I’m thinking his 32 inch arms are playing a major part of those “only RT” types.  I think if Veach drafted Jenkins it says more about his faith in Niang playing either side than Jenkins /shrug.

If both Niang and Jenkins (or whomever the Chief draft this year) can play OT, it doesn't really matter which can adjust to LT assuming at least one can.  Jenkins name has come up a lot because the Chiefs could possibly move up to get him without mortgaging the future.  I'd still prefer a trade down from #31 to get their next preferred OT and pick up a top 100 choice to fill the needs at WR, ED, LB, CB, S, OC, and TE.  Too many times a day two pick outperforms a first rounder to believe one has to put all the draft capital into one player.  

I'd really like to see the Chiefs/Veach maneuver to get at least 4 picks in the top 100. Regardless of who you get in round 1....he can only play x number of snaps. If you give up major draft capital to move up the number of snaps one player has per game will not change. 3 or 4 really good players / solid contributors will give you many times more snaps and likely have a bigger impact on the game as a whole.

41 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I'd really like to see the Chiefs/Veach maneuver to get at least 4 picks in the top 100. Regardless of who you get in round 1....he can only play x number of snaps. If you give up major draft capital to move up the number of snaps one player has per game will not change. 3 or 4 really good players / solid contributors will give you many times more snaps and likely have a bigger impact on the game as a whole.

Sounds good in theory

33 minutes ago, xen said:

Sounds good in theory

You know and I know you can cherry pick any stat or scenario to make a point. For every scenario like the one listed there are more that didn't work out so well: Blaine Gabbart, Trent Richardson, Ki Jana Carter, Tim Tebow.....

52 minutes ago, dhitter said:

You know and I know you can cherry pick any stat or scenario to make a point. For every scenario like the one listed there are more that didn't work out so well: Blaine Gabbart, Trent Richardson, Ki Jana Carter, Tim Tebow.....

My point was that 3 or 4 average guys do not impact the game as much as an elite player at the right position.  

16 minutes ago, xen said:

My point was that 3 or 4 average guys do not impact the game as much as an elite player at the right position.  

Who said anything about average? Define average. To me an average guy is Dan Sorenson. If the Chiefs move back and with 4 top 100 picks you draft 4 Dan Sorensons then you need to find a new line of work.

54 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Who said anything about average? Define average. To me an average guy is Dan Sorenson. If the Chiefs move back and with 4 top 100 picks you draft 4 Dan Sorensons then you need to find a new line of work.

Well most nfl players are below replacement level so good luck.  I am not against moving back but keep in mind hit rates on draft picks go way down the deeper you go.  

Maybe we've been burned by too many first round busts and those came when the Chiefs were drafting higher than #31.  Trading up lessens the chances of drafting a Jamal Charlles, Sneed, Kelce, Hill, or a lot of other second day or mid round picks.  I don't want the team to over spend just to move up for a marginal better risk.  The Julio Jones/Browns example is more a reflection of the drafting by the Browns than the value of the trade.