What I'd like to see in the first couple of rounds

Balto

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe we've been burned by too many first round busts and those came when the Chiefs were drafting higher than #31.  Trading up lessens the chances of drafting a Jamal Charlles, Sneed, Kelce, Hill, or a lot of other second day or mid round picks.  I don't want the team to over spend just to move up for a marginal better risk.  The Julio Jones/Browns example is more a reflection of the drafting by the Browns than the value of the trade.  

Trading down also increases your bust chance, fans just remember it less cause it's not a high pick.  

No one in charge of drafts over a long period of time has a high hit rate.  You can get lucky over a few drafts but averages will catch up to you eventually.

Again, I am not against trading down.  Depending on how far you go it's always a good strategy, but there are inherent risks in that, not the least of which is lower hit rates, sometimes substantially lower depending on how far you go. 

I just think people need to be realistic about the draft.  It's not as easy as saying, "Oh we'll just trade down and find a bunch of Kelce's and Tyreek's".  While fun, the draft is a crapshoot, always and forever.  Every player is a projection.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I just think people need to be realistic about the draft.  It's not as easy as saying, "Oh we'll just trade down and find a bunch of Kelce's and Tyreek's".  While fun, the draft is a crapshoot, always and forever.  Every player is a projection.

No one is saying that.  My real feeling is that the Chiefs will evaluate the LT class and probably stack them accordingly.  If they think Jenkins, for example, is worth enough more than Cosmi, Leatherwood, etc., they will explore trading up to get him with some limits on what they'll give up.  Veach has a history of being aggressive to get his man.  My concern is giving up a slot that could yield a potential future starter to grab a player no better than Cosmi, Eichenberg, Forsythe, or Radunz.  We just have to trust the talent evaluators on that.  At the same time, there's a good chance the top four OTs plus AVT are gone by #31 and the Chiefs have an opportunity to trade down five-ten slots and still get their next choice while adding a top 100 pick.  Is it worth it to give up that fifth year of control?  Considering the crap shoot that the draft is, I would say "yes".   

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No one is saying that.  My real feeling is that the Chiefs will evaluate the LT class and probably stack them accordingly.  If they think Jenkins, for example, is worth enough more than Cosmi, Leatherwood, etc., they will explore trading up to get him with some limits on what they'll give up.  Veach has a history of being aggressive to get his man.  My concern is giving up a slot that could yield a potential future starter to grab a player no better than Cosmi, Eichenberg, Forsythe, or Radunz.  We just have to trust the talent evaluators on that.  At the same time, there's a good chance the top four OTs plus AVT are gone by #31 and the Chiefs have an opportunity to trade down five-ten slots and still get their next choice while adding a top 100 pick.  Is it worth it to give up that fifth year of control?  Considering the crap shoot that the draft is, I would say "yes".   

you obviously don't go on Twitter much.