Panic mode

I was very strident during the preseason that I would not panic until after the first regular season game.

Well at 0:00 at the end of the 4th quarter I'm headed toward panic.

Anyone else with me or an I overstating the obvious ????

usb_panic_1.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too early to call this season a flop, but it sure doesn't look good.

Maybe, just maybe, TEN proves to this year's up-and-comer.  I don't know who that was playing QB for them yesterday, but I'd like to know what they did with the "real" Jake Locker.

Fisher looked better, but by NFL standards he was below average. Jeff Allen had his arm in a sling by the end of the game. McGlynn was horrible. Hudson was so so, and Fulton looked like he was on skates. The offensive line's performance was a concern, but that is not why I am near the panic button. Despite the fact that Stephenson has three more games to serve out his penalty, and that he did not look good in preseason.. That is not reason enough for me to push the panic button. 

Wilson didn't play even though he was suited up, and that caused me some concern. He looked exciting in preseason, and I thought he was healthy. The Chiefs needed a spark. The only person who seemed to get open was Avery, and Alex Smith underthrew him him every stinking time. Avery was anemic in fighting for the ball. The result was three interceptions. Even that was not reason enough to push the panic button. 

Here is my problem. Dontari Poe played every snap minus one. I thought the Chiefs were not going to do that this year. Kelce only had 17 snaps, and didn't see a lot of balls thrown his way.... even though he was clearly the better TE. Despite injuries to DeVito, Walker and Howard didn't play a down. Cooper was out, but Parker played well in his absence. Smith... not so much. The Chiefs defense looked pretty darned good until they lost Derrick Johnson. They completely fell apart when DeVito exited. My problem is not that the players didn't play up to their ability (which was true). My problem was the coaching staff had no answers whatsoever. They were completely unimaginative. Our best player got shut down, so they accommodated Tennessee by not opening the playbook. Why would you not try to get Charles open on pass plays, or in space? Why would you not try to get Kelce more touches? Why would you go for it at the end of the half out of your endzone? It all looked like complete and utter desperation. I only heard Dee Ford's name one time, and he did nothing.

The problem for me is Dorsey has not hit on his biggest picks. Fisher and Dee Ford look to me to be back to back mistakes. Andy Reid, and his coaching staff looked to me as if they were out of ideas. 

DeVito and Johnson are on their next to last years on their contracts. They will not be returning this year, and history tells us they are likely finished for good. The Chiefs only have $4.5 M cap space for 2015. As much as we hate to hear it... the Chiefs need to regroup. They need to (dare me say) retool this team. The Chiefs have decisions about Bowe, and Hali next season. They will have to decide if they have enough money to sign Houston and Berry. The party is over. There will be cuts. We have a good core of players if Reid and staff don't find a way to get them hurt. Poe needs to get some help. KC needs to develop a young receiver or two. The Chiefs need to protect Alex Smith. Like it or not, Alex Smith is our QB for the next three to five seasons. He needs support. 

I am realistic, and not in panic mode. I said they would finish 6 - 10 this season. I believe they may even be worse than that. They will have as much as 12 picks in the 2015 draft. My problem now is I lack the confidence that John Dorsey and Andy Reid will allocate those opportunities successfully. 

I had hopes for 8-8 or 9-7...and missed the game due to an illness in the family.

That said, I did not see KC in the AFC Championship Game or the Super Bowl this season.

But, I was hoping to see progress.  The things that really disappoin me were:

1. Bowes suspension ( That's putting yourself ahead of the team)

2. Stephenson's suspension ( it really hurts us to have a young O-line that can not gel because the starters can not gel.

3. All the injuries, this team has been a MASH unit since the first week of camp, something is really wrong here.

w

No need to panic. The oline will improve as the season goes on, which means the offense will get better....if AS11 can stay healthy long enough. Reid will reel his "ego" in a little and go back to the basics..(A lot of JC and Kelce, Avery and Hammond on slant routes and bowe on the hitch routes)

On Defense, I remember DJ talking about how JMJ had really improved this year, and how fast he was...Well, he is gonna get his chance. The devito injury will hurt us, but not as much because of Howard and Walker. IF...IF Sutton will stop trying to force the square peg into the round hole, and play to the strengths of his personnel, then I think the defense will be serviceable...That's IF.

He likes to play "Press Man", but we don't have any "Press Man" DB's....

No need to panic. The oline will improve as the season goes on, which means the offense will get better....if AS11 can stay healthy long enough. Reid will reel his "ego" in a little and go back to the basics..(A lot of JC and Kelce, Avery and Hammond on slant routes and bowe on the hitch routes)

On Defense, I remember DJ talking about how JMJ had really improved this year, and how fast he was...Well, he is gonna get his chance. The devito injury will hurt us, but not as much because of Howard and Walker. IF...IF Sutton will stop trying to force the square peg into the round hole, and play to the strengths of his personnel, then I think the defense will be serviceable...That's IF.

He likes to play "Press Man", but we don't have any "Press Man" DB's....

How can you guarantee the line gets better?  Allen is a bust, Hudson is as good as he is going to be. Who knows about the other spots?  They may just suck.

The real problem I have is that they team has an incoherent strategy.

Look, you cut Flowers and Succop.

You let Albert and Schwartz walk.

Just come out and say we are going to have to clean up the roster a bit to keep our core players.

Hunt comes out and says "he expects the team to improve from 2013 and win a playoff game"

As far as I know, not a single guy here has the same goal for 2014, infact 9-7 here is viewed as a huge homer.

w

How can you guarantee the line gets better?  Allen is a bust, Hudson is as good as he is going to be. Who knows about the other spots?  They may just suck.

I can't gurantee, but just mere playing time, should help..at least with the communication aspect. ANdy can coach Olinemen and qb's. I think he still has that in him. As for his playcalling and his blind faith/hope in AS11....I don't know.

I'm numb for good after the playoffs last year. That was the final let down for me. Now it's a grain of salt. It was a terrible off season and horrible first game. Not shocked.

I agree with you. Numb is the best way to describe my feelings also. Yesterday while watching the "shit-show" take place, I kinda just sat there in front of my TV staring into the screen with no reall feelings....(Like I expected this..again).

I didn't even get pissed....I feel like an "abused" spouse or something. And to make it ALL worse...I live in Colorado Springs, which mean I had to sit there in my living room last nite and listen to all of my neighboors celebrating outside everytime the Donkeys scored a TD.......damn.

I agree with you. Numb is the best way to describe my feelings also. Yesterday while watching the "shit-show" take place, I kinda just sat there in front of my TV staring into the screen with no reall feelings....(Like I expected this..again).

I didn't even get pissed....I feel like an "abused" spouse or something. And to make it ALL worse...I live in Colorado Springs, which mean I had to sit there in my living room last nite and listen to all of my neighboors celebrating outside everytime the Donkeys scored a TD.......damn.

I hear ya.  Its easy to be jealous of Bronco's fans.  

25-26 years of let downs.. I love them and I'll always root, but I'm just done with getting worked up. Whatever happens happens..

Archived