Lets see your crazy mock draft trades!

Atlanta Falcons are sitting at #4 with rumors everywhere about them trying to trade down.  With the top 3 QBs off the board and not a ton of value trading up to #4 to grab the 4th QB they are having trouble getting teams to overpay for a QB when they can wait and get them cheaper.

Falcons new front office have also been on record saying they can move on from both Matt Ryan and Julio Jones if it makes sense long term.  This is where Veach comes in!

Now the Falcons could reach and take a QB at #4 and let him sit behind Ryan a few years BUT with the contract they gave Ryan it looks to be at minimum 2 years till Ryan falls off the books.  With that and the fact they'd be getting the #4 QB they decide to take Veach's trade offer that is focused on LONG TERM improvement and cap relief.  With this trade the Falcons get the ammo needed to get the QB they want WHEN they final move on from Ryan.

The Trade:

Falcons get:

2021, 2022 and 2023 1st round picks

Hardman, WR

LTD, OG 

Chiefs get:

#4 Overall, We use this pick on a once in a generation talent and our biggest need.....LT Penei Sewell.

Julio Jones, WR

Lets talk why Veach would do this.  YES the elephant in the room in giving up 3 1st round picks.  If everything plays out well those picks will be late rounders and we all should be ok with giving those up to get a tackle on Sewell's level AND a talent like Julio Jones.  Hardman,  while a very good talent was always meant to be a Hill backup/replacement if crap hit the fan that offseason, otherwise I think Veach would of drafted DK Metcalf.  Plus gaining Julio fills that need for a #2 WR and hopefully a guy like Pringle can step up and replace Hardman's snaps.  Falcons have Ridley who played like a #1 WR this past season so having Ridley and Hardman should be more than fine.

Now yes we will be hit with some dead money moving LTD but we have the space and well worth the hit for what we will gain.  Falcons get LTD on the cheap, because we are paying that bonus, which is great value for them.

Oh and before you say Julio costs to much.....Salary cap will go up A LOT but even then he will only be on the books for:

'21:  $15.3 to $18.05M

'22:  $11.513M to $14.26M

'23:  $11.513 to $14.26M

GREAT contract for the trading team IMO

Again 3 1st is a lot but this is a type of move that gets us 3 SBs in a row and those 1st rounders won't be missed at all!

Since the Chiefs have been to back-to-back SBs, no legitimate playoff contender is going to trade with us. In today’s NFL, that’s probably 20 teams. We’re going to have to face the fact we’re gonna have to grow our own. You don’t see NE, GB, NO or Pitt doing a lot of trades. We are part of that group now. They don’t want the superpowers getting another missile.

15 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

i did see one today that had us trading from 31 to 20 with the bears and we picked up Darisaw, i think we also gave them a 2nd and a 4th from 2022

That wouldn't be horrible.   Would stink next year but if we can get EB a head coaching job then we could net another 3rd.  

18 hours ago, Balto said:

I thought you all would at least put a few mocks up but oh well...I'll just keep emailing Veach my ideas.  

A number of mock have been posted in the Draft Room.  As for trades, it's impossible to guess at what might be available ahead of time.  I doubt too many would go for your trade of three first round picks for one lineman, no matter how much of a "sure thing" he might appear to be.  Would you rather have Sewell and lose three first rounders, Jenkins and lose a one third round pick, or Cosmi and pick up a third?  I'm sure Veach will appreciate your input.   

On 4/21/2021 at 3:18 AM, KC Warpaint said:

i did see one today that had us trading from 31 to 20 with the bears and we picked up Darisaw, i think we also gave them a 2nd and a 4th from 2022

I hate giving up multiple premium picks but if they think that's what it takes to protect the franchise then I wouldn't lose any sleep over giving up a couple 2022 picks. We are in the "protect-now" mode if we want to avoid a Luck situation in KC. Obviously this should mean that Darrisaw is ready to start from day one and free up the money allocated for the stopgap LT to be spent on positions that would otherwise be filled with the 2022 picks.