Could Fish and Schwartz still come back?

Report: Andy Reid says door isn't shut on Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz returning to Chiefs

ByDEAN STRAKA Apr 19, 12:17 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  

x

One of the biggest questions for the Kansas City Chiefs this offseason has been the team's offensive line following the franchise's decision to release both tackles Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz as the result of the salary cap. But now it doesn't appear so definitive that Kansas City has officially moved on from the two, as head coach Andy Reid told reporters Monday that the door is still open for Fisher and Schwartz to return if the right circumstances prevail.

“You run into these cap situations,” Reid said, according to the The Athletic's Nate Taylor. “Some of these things had to be done. They go out as champs. The door always remains open.”

After a disastrous 2012 season that saw them go 2-14, the Chiefs had the top overall draft pick in 2013 and used it on Fisher, coming out of Central Michigan. Fisher remained a constant of the Chiefs’ offensive line throughout his career but suffered a massive injury in this past season's playoffs.

A torn Achilles in the AFC Championship game held Fisher out of Kansas City's Super Bowl loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in February, which proved to be a massive hit in the contest. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was sacked three times for a loss of 27 yards and pressured into throwing two interceptions in the 31-9 loss. The cut of Fisher also came as a bit of a shock, considering the optimism that general manager Brett Veach had before the announcement was made.

Already, Fisher also penned what appeared to be none other than farewell message to the Chiefs after being released.

“Mentally, I’m leaving with my head held high, beat up but not down for the count,” Fisher wrote earlier in the year. “Physically, I’m leaving with my head held high, beat up but not down for the count. Spiritually, I wouldn’t praise God enough for blessing my life in ways that I couldn’t have wrapped my brain around in a million years. Unfortunately, I knew this time would come at some point. Sooner than I would have chose, but another opportunity to beat the odds. All good things must come to an end. Thank you Kansas City.”

As for Schwartz, who joined the Chiefs in 2016, he played in just six games this year until being lost for the rest of the season. That included the Super Bowl in which his absence, as well as the absence of fellow offensive tackle Fisher, had a massive impact on the Chiefs coming up 22 points shy of repeating their Super Bowl victory from the previous season.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Schwartz announced in late February he’d be undergoing back surgery to repair the injury and he said he felt good following the procedure.

32 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Fisher is months away from being football ready. Schwatrz is a mystery. No team is going to drop money on them now. Probably later in summer.

Neither are coming back unless Brown or Niang/Remmers goes down.   

From his Twitter activity I don't think Schwartz will return to the NFL and since both already have rings they won't be looking for cheap deals unless making a comeback due to some injuries on the roster. Fisher will likely get a multi-year deal after the draft though. 

We have gotten zero information on the imaging and "surgery" on his back.  Without knowing that, it is very possible that he had a little protruding disc material pressing on a nerve that could easily have been trimmed away, in which he has plenty of time to rehab and come back like new.  If he had to have some bone trimmed away from an opening where a nerve goes through, it would take a lot longer. If he had some slippage of one vertebral bone over another (spondylolisthesis), he probably should never play again.  We just have not been given the facts on the nature of his surgery and whatever changes were seen in imaging of the lumbar spine.. So, basically yes.  He could come back.  It wouldn't take some sort of miracle. We are just not allowed to know because of patient confidentiality.  Likely, the team doctors know.

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We have gotten zero information on the imaging and "surgery" on his back.  Without knowing that, it is very possible that he had a little protruding disc material pressing on a nerve that could easily have been trimmed away, in which he has plenty of time to rehab and come back like new.  If he had to have some bone trimmed away from an opening where a nerve goes through, it would take a lot longer. If he had some slippage of one vertebral bone over another (spondylolisthesis), he probably should never play again.  We just have not been given the facts on the nature of his surgery and whatever changes were seen in imaging of the lumbar spine.. So, basically yes.  He could come back.  It wouldn't take some sort of miracle. We are just not allowed to know because of patient confidentiality.  Likely, the team doctors know.

I think he plays again. Hope in KC.

Mitchell Schwartz is open to returning to the Chiefs

In an interview with 610, the former Chiefs expresses his desire to carry on playing - hopefully in Kansas City

“I would obviously entertain coming back here,’ he said. “For the short term, I just want to get healthy.”

“The O-line is in a really good situation,” noted Schwartz. “The Super Bowl really enforced you need your offensive line at a certain level.”

While the left side of the line seems to be set in stone with Brown Jr. and Thuney, there are still questions marks about the right side, with Niang and Remmers appearing to be the two that will compete for the starting right tackle job.

If he can return healthy, Schwartz might undeniably be an upgrade of both Niang and Remmers, as well as the final piece to a puzzle that seemed impossible to solve just six weeks ago.

Yes, the Chiefs’ offensive line is in a good situation right now, but Schwartz’s return might turn a good situation into a great one.

39 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Mitchell Schwartz is open to returning to the Chiefs

In an interview with 610, the former Chiefs expresses his desire to carry on playing - hopefully in Kansas City

“I would obviously entertain coming back here,’ he said. “For the short term, I just want to get healthy.”

“The O-line is in a really good situation,” noted Schwartz. “The Super Bowl really enforced you need your offensive line at a certain level.”

While the left side of the line seems to be set in stone with Brown Jr. and Thuney, there are still questions marks about the right side, with Niang and Remmers appearing to be the two that will compete for the starting right tackle job.

If he can return healthy, Schwartz might undeniably be an upgrade of both Niang and Remmers, as well as the final piece to a puzzle that seemed impossible to solve just six weeks ago.

Yes, the Chiefs’ offensive line is in a good situation right now, but Schwartz’s return might turn a good situation into a great one.

That's the dream

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Schwartz's play in the 2019 playoffs/SB was classic.  Having him on the right end of this line, if healthy, would mean an unstoppable passing game with a running threat to go with it.  

Along with more depth at tackle and guard with Niang.  Schwartz coming back would be ideal.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Schwartz's play in the 2019 playoffs/SB was classic.  Having him on the right end of this line, if healthy, would mean an unstoppable passing game with a running threat to go with it.  

Absolutely.  We might find out the answer, finally, to how serious Schwartz's back injury and surgery was by what happens in the draft's second night tonight.  If we draft a RT prospect, then Schwartz probably has a serious back problem that make his future questionable.  But if we take a WR to replace Watkins or a pass rusher opposite Clark, then it might mean that Schwartz is likely to return and be fine.  Something that could throw a wrench into that reasoning would be if the front office plans to sign ingram and also draft WR or that good Center that may fall to us, which of course would mean the Schwartz is not likely to be ready.  I like the recent statement of Schwartz that he plans to play and play well.

OR.....maybe none of the above.  Maybe they think NIang is the guy at RT, with help from Remmers the first year.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Along with more depth at tackle and guard with Niang.  Schwartz coming back would be ideal.

It's amazing if you think about it.  Basically, our draft this year would basically already  effectively include Orlando Brown and Niang without having to use any 2021 draft choice on them.  Then add a couple of strong 2nd rounders...wow.

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It's amazing if you think about it.  Basically, our draft this year would basically already  effectively include Orlando Brown and Niang without having to use any 2021 draft choice on them.  Then add a couple of strong 2nd rounders...wow.

Don't overlook Thuney, Long, and Blythe.  Better interior play translates into better OT play.  TBH, the Chiefs effectively used their #1 to get Brown.  If he signs long term, it was a good get. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Don't overlook Thuney, Long, and Blythe.  Better interior play translates into better OT play.  TBH, the Chiefs effectively used their #1 to get Brown.  If he signs long term, it was a good get. 

A bit out of context but when was the last time Chiefs had a decent OG and OT playing next to each other?