Thuney at center

Friday Veach said that Thuney could play either guard or center at a pro bowl level and multiple times mentioned Thuney at center and seeing how the draft pans out.

Thoughts on him as our center?  Veach talked about putting our best 5 out there

Brown....Long.....Thuney......LTD.......Niang

or I hope we draft a center

Brown......Thuney.......rookie......Long.......Niang

13 minutes ago, Balto said:

Friday Veach said that Thuney could play either guard or center at a pro bowl level and multiple times mentioned Thuney at center and seeing how the draft pans out.

Thoughts on him as our center?  Veach talked about putting our best 5 out there

Brown....Long.....Thuney......LTD.......Niang

or I hope we draft a center

Brown......Thuney.......rookie......Long.......Niang

Go with plan B.  There's plenty of good OC prospects in this draft including some who are listed at OGs and even OTs.  Brown..Thuney..Meinerz..Long..Niang with Allegretti, Blythe, Durant, Rankin, and Remmers as backups.  Who will back up Brown?

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Go with plan B.  There's plenty of good OC prospects in this draft including some who are listed at OGs and even OTs.  Brown..Thuney..Meinerz..Long..Niang with Allegretti, Blythe, Durant, Rankin, and Remmers as backups.  Who will back up Brown?

Fisher if Brown goes down lol

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You've been trying to trade the guy for over a year and now that he's gone, you want him back?   😉

Lol that is funny

I wanted to trade Fish when he had value, yes would of been smart huh?  I always liked Fish just thought he was waaaaay over paid the last couple of years thus my wanting to trade him before we had to just cut him and get nothing...oh wait

1 minute ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

If we are in such need of a center, why did we just sign that one?  Isn't he supposed to be solid?

No, low end vet IMO and should be backup kinda signing.  Let Alli and rookie battle for starter job

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Niang or Thuney in a pinch.

I think you guys aren’t giving Blythe near enough credit. I understand he’s on a one year deal but he’s a top 10 Center in the League. We also have Alligretti who was our best interior blocker all year. I personally think the OLine went from our biggest weakness to a position of strength. We have quality starters and quality depth. Mahomes doesn’t need the 2003 Line. He just needs to not run for his freaking life every down. We have so many other areas where we could get better: DE, LB, WR, CB...even TE. This off-season allows a ton of flexibility in the draft. Well done Veach.

3 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

I think you guys aren’t giving Blythe near enough credit. I understand he’s on a one year deal but he’s a top 10 Center in the League. We also have Alligretti who was our best interior blocker all year. I personally think the OLine went from our biggest weakness to a position of strength. We have quality starters and quality depth. Mahomes doesn’t need the 2003 Line. He just needs to not run for his freaking life every down. We have so many other areas where we could get better: DE, LB, WR, CB...even TE. This off-season allows a ton of flexibility in the draft. Well done Veach.

Huh?  You mean bottom 10?  Actually I’d say bottom 5 in the nfl.  Blythe has always been below average and that’s being nice.

34 minutes ago, Balto said:

Huh?  You mean bottom 10?  Actually I’d say bottom 5 in the nfl.  Blythe has always been below average and that’s being nice.

Pro Football Focus ranked Blythe as the No. 13 overall center in the NFL last season. The advanced metrics compiled by PFF reflected a solid campaign in 2020 for Blythe, who earned the No. 13 overall blocking grade among centers and the No. 9 run-blocking grade.Apr 5, 2021

Finally, Blythe had just one penalty and 23 blown blocks over 1,023 snaps at center. He ranked at roughly average for starting centers in “points” and may stick out as the weak point on the line — which also emphasizes why they were rated so highly as a unit.

If Austin Blythe is your worst offensive lineman, that’s a good sign. On some teams, he would have been the best.

3 hours ago, Balto said:

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2021/03/01/los-angeles-rams-austin-blythe-is-the-rams-most-important-free-agent/

I dont know how many Rams games you watch in Arizona but he isnt a bottom 5 center. 

I would just spend a 2nd on an OC and keep Thuney at LG. It has been a position of weakness for too long and would be nice to fully ignore the left side for a change. There seems to be some nice OC prospects that could start from day one and one should be available with one of our 2nds. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2021/03/01/los-angeles-rams-austin-blythe-is-the-rams-most-important-free-agent/

I dont know how many Rams games you watch in Arizona but he isnt a bottom 5 center. 

From that link:  “However, Blythe is far from perfect. Where Blythe needs to improve is in pass blocking. His 52.5 pass-blocking grade ranked 22nd and his 29 pressures tied for the fourth most allowed. Taking that a step further, his pass-blocking efficiency ranked 25th among centers. That’s certainly far from ideal.”

Blythe just doesn’t fit what Veach has been doing all offseason....willing to sign the highest paid LT in the NFL, giving Thuney a huge contract, bringing in a former all-pro guard, trading for a young stud pro bowl tackle......rolling with a bottom feeder center in pass protection just doesn’t fit.  Veach himself said Thuney could be our center depending how the draft goes.

50 minutes ago, Balto said:

From that link:  “However, Blythe is far from perfect. Where Blythe needs to improve is in pass blocking. His 52.5 pass-blocking grade ranked 22nd and his 29 pressures tied for the fourth most allowed. Taking that a step further, his pass-blocking efficiency ranked 25th among centers. That’s certainly far from ideal.”

Blythe just doesn’t fit what Veach has been doing all offseason....willing to sign the highest paid LT in the NFL, giving Thuney a huge contract, bringing in a former all-pro guard, trading for a young stud pro bowl tackle......rolling with a bottom feeder center in pass protection just doesn’t fit.  Veach himself said Thuney could be our center depending how the draft goes.

I think he's just as good as Reiter and Mahomes will make some numbers look better than Goff.    However, not sure why Veach would offer up that tidbit about Thuney.  It would lead people to think we were going to draft a center which would be tipping the hat, and that is not something he does so if he feels comfortable with Blythe why did he bring it up about Thuney?    

I still maintain the three most important positions are WR, DE, OC then the next tier is OLB, S, TE, & MLB.

Again we lost the SB because we didn't have another wr to step up, we couldn't block for Mahomes and we couldn't generate pressure with 4 guys.  

If the Chiefs really go BPA with their second round choices, an OC is a real option.  Creed, Meinerz, Dickerson, and even Meyers could step in on day one and be better than Morse was several years back.  WR is the only obvious crying need.  All other positions that need upgrades are luxuries to fill in or draft for the future.  Example:  DE is certainly a need, but if Taco comes back and Dana grows in his second year, they are better than last year.  Same with CB, especially if they resign Breeland.  I'd love to see them draft Cox to replace Neiman, but again that's a luxury to gear up for the future.  Make the O-line young and solid and the Chiefs can win for the next five years. 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs really go BPA with their second round choices, an OC is a real option.  Creed, Meinerz, Dickerson, and even Meyers could step in on day one and be better than Morse was several years back.  WR is the only obvious crying need.  All other positions that need upgrades are luxuries to fill in or draft for the future.  Example:  DE is certainly a need, but if Taco comes back and Dana grows in his second year, they are better than last year.  Same with CB, especially if they resign Breeland.  I'd love to see them draft Cox to replace Neiman, but again that's a luxury to gear up for the future.  Make the O-line young and solid and the Chiefs can win for the next five years. 

We have a chance to lock down this line for 4-5 years and in a cost-effective way with a rookie OC, multiple cheap RG options (Durant, Allegretti, Wylie),  and Niang.   Like you said there are some luxury picks needed but get the offense back on schedule and the defense is going to be as good if not better with Thornhill healed up, Taco back, Reed coming in and another offseason for Sneed and Gay.

38 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree completely, a solid OC will turn this line into a strength and there are some solid options that are expected to be there in 2nd. We could find our next Hudson or Morse. There's also the bunch of veterans leaving after this season like LDT, Long, Wylie, Blythe, etc.

I feel very comfortable at DE. It would definitely be nice to upgrade, especially if a solid prospect falls, but Danna showed some promise and Taco was decent before going down. I also expect Jones or Wharton to line up there in obvious passing downs. LB might be an issue but no other position is as big of a need as interior OL at this point assuming Niang is legit at OT.