Thuney at center

6 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Not sure where the faith is coming from with Taco. Hope he pans out, but his history is questionable that he performs at the level needed.  Need a DE that can ball in my opinion. 

Taco probably isn't the final answer and if a stud pass rusher is there at 58 or 63, it might make sense to grab him.  It's just that with only two picks before #144, the Chiefs have to get value and one probably should be Sammy's replacement.  Several boards have a number of IOL at the end of the second.  Not so much DEs there.  Who knows how it will shake out Friday night. 

5 hours ago, Balto said:

Blythe just doesn’t fit what Veach has been doing all offseason....willing to sign the highest paid LT in the NFL, giving Thuney a huge contract, bringing in a former all-pro guard, trading for a young stud pro bowl tackle......rolling with a bottom feeder center in pass protection just doesn’t fit.  Veach himself said Thuney could be our center depending how the draft goes.

No thats not what Veach said at all. He said with Thuney we have depth there at center. Meaning he can play there if needed. You wouldn't pay a CB 16 million per and immediately convert him to safety would you? You'd let him play the position he has excelled at instead of the one he has played for 6 quarters.

From the linked article, found this interesting about centers being drafted and how they compared to Blythe last year.

Replacing Blythe in the Draft

Only one center since 2010 has been drafted in the second round and become a starting center.

Since 2018, six centers have been drafted in the third round that became starters. However, the quality of player is a different story.

Drafting a center and watching them become a quality player takes time and drafting outside of the top-50 is very risky. If you take the rookie centers from last season, only Tyler Biadasz had a better pass-blocking grade than Blythe. Even then, it was only marginally better (3.5 points).

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

From the linked article, found this interesting about centers being drafted and how they compared to Blythe last year.

Replacing Blythe in the Draft

Only one center since 2010 has been drafted in the second round and become a starting center.

Since 2018, six centers have been drafted in the third round that became starters. However, the quality of player is a different story.

Drafting a center and watching them become a quality player takes time and drafting outside of the top-50 is very risky. If you take the rookie centers from last season, only Tyler Biadasz had a better pass-blocking grade than Blythe. Even then, it was only marginally better (3.5 points).

True but our luck with 2nd round centers has been pretty impressive.   Hudson and Morse and both are light years better than Blythe.   Landon Dickerson and Quinn Meinerz probably would be and definitely will be by year two.   I think you get the whole thing revamped this year and be done with the oline for a while.   

I wouldn't compare other teams picking OCs in 2nd with the Chiefs. We got our last two solid starters from day one there and one of them is still one of the best in the NFL. As long as the staff do their homework 2nd seems like the best place to pick one up and the reports about this specific draft point to the 2nd as well.

20 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think he's just as good as Reiter and Mahomes will make some numbers look better than Goff.    However, not sure why Veach would offer up that tidbit about Thuney.  It would lead people to think we were going to draft a center which would be tipping the hat, and that is not something he does so if he feels comfortable with Blythe why did he bring it up about Thuney?    

I still maintain the three most important positions are WR, DE, OC then the next tier is OLB, S, TE, & MLB.

Again we lost the SB because we didn't have another wr to step up, we couldn't block for Mahomes and we couldn't generate pressure with 4 guys.  

Well it could be that Veach feels very comfortable with Thuney at any of the three positions and if he drafts a center he plays guard.....if he drafts a guard he plays center.  

I think he's just as good as Reiter and Mahomes will make some numbers look better than Goff.    However, not sure why Veach would offer up that tidbit about Thuney.  It would lead people to think we were going to draft a center which would be tipping the hat, and that is not something he does so if he feels comfortable with Blythe why did he bring it up about Thuney?    

I still maintain the three most important positions are WR, DE, OC then the next tier is OLB, S, TE, & MLB.

Again we lost the SB because we didn't have another wr to step up, we couldn't block for Mahomes and we couldn't generate pressure with 4 guys.  

Well it could be that Veach feels very comfortable with Thuney at any of the three positions and if he drafts a center he plays guard.....if he drafts a guard he plays center.  

21 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We lost the superbowl because the entire offense line was gone. all of it.. fourth stringers ... not backups, backups, backups, backups.. 

hell I thought Kelce was gonna have to play LT for a bit. 

If the Chiefs draft an OC on day two this year, what's the final O-line roster?  Brown, Thuney, Blythe, LDT, and Niang would seem to be the starters.  That leaves Allegretti, Durant, Long, Remmers, Wylie, and New Guy.  One or two gotta go.  Which ones?  Remmers, Long, and New Guy are locks.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs draft an OC on day two this year, what's the final O-line roster?  Brown, Thuney, Blythe, LDT, and Niang would seem to be the starters.  That leaves Allegretti, Durant, Long, Remmers, Wylie, and New Guy.  One or two gotta go.  Which ones?  Remmers, Long, and New Guy are locks.

We definitely have the numbers right now but an upgrade at OC will be huge. If there's that protected PS like last year I can see the Chiefs carrying a couple linemen in there. Also there's the possibility of sending the worst guy packing.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Brown and Thuney would be sick on the left side. Then Pat only has to worry about what he can see and run around. No way I would separate those two on the left. You lock that down IMO. 

Add in Meinera or a healthy Dickerson at OC and there would be a wall on that side.  What if Long returned to all-pro form at RG and Niang is a first round worthy pick at RT?  We can dream can't we?  No more images of Reiter playing in the offensive back field.  

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Blythe is probably a veteran stop gap and someone who is drafted will be learning the ropes for the next season. I’d assume at most KC is drafting a C and RT now.

Why RT? I think Niang gets it this year and on. Now I can see RT next year if Niang does not work out and say moves to RG.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Why RT? I think Niang gets it this year and on. Now I can see RT next year if Niang does not work out and say moves to RG.

Yeah between Niang and Remmers I'd say there's almost no chance they are looking at RT in the draft. If they draft a RT I believe it will be someone they believe they can kick inside and be the RG in 2022 and beyond.

All this talk about Blythe at Center when I think your attention should be at RG- I am not sure Long can just jump in and start- 2019 he only played a few games beofre a hip injury put him on IR- then he sat out 2020. He's 32 and hasn't been an All Pro since 2015. He's only played 16 games once (2015) since his rookie year 2013.

How can anyone have faith he wil be there all year long?

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah between Niang and Remmers I'd say there's almost no chance they are looking at RT in the draft. If they draft a RT I believe it will be someone they believe they can kick inside and be the RG in 2022 and beyond.

Could be going for an OT to kick someone else inside. Regardless if the draft class is actually as deep as advertised I think a 3rd day OT prospect to become the swing tackle after Remmers leaves is more likely. Anything before that would probably be a negative about Niang at this point. 

I have no issue with remmers on the right he aint mitch, but no so damn bad either.. I still think we end up with Niang there.. 

and Long and the doctor, can end up taking turns for each other when the other ones hurt. 

9 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

All this talk about Blythe at Center when I think your attention should be at RG- I am not sure Long can just jump in and start- 2019 he only played a few games beofre a hip injury put him on IR- then he sat out 2020. He's 32 and hasn't been an All Pro since 2015. He's only played 16 games once (2015) since his rookie year 2013.

How can anyone have faith he wil be there all year long?

I actually agree but we could also look at Allegretti at RG.  Allegretti could easily end up being our backup for all IOL spots.  I can see Veach grabbing a IOL in the 2nd that can play center or guard for us.  

Meinerz, Wyatt Davis, and Dickerson could all play center OR guard which would give us that flexibility.    

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I actually agree but we could also look at Allegretti at RG.  Allegretti could easily end up being our backup for all IOL spots.  I can see Veach grabbing a IOL in the 2nd that can play center or guard for us.  

Meinerz, Wyatt Davis, and Dickerson could all play center OR guard which would give us that flexibility.    

Has Wyatt Dais played OC before?  I had him strictly as a guard prospect.

10 hours ago, xen said:

Remmers didn't allow a sack on the right side last year.  He was a great low cost vet signing.  Frankly he played much better for us than he did for the giants.

They can't all be all pros.  You need vet contracts like this.

Some say Remmers waa better even than Schwartz on the right. Question is why didn't Reid leave him there in the SB and let Durant play LT? One injury discombobulated the whole line. In hindsight Wylie actually held his own against Cam Jordan at Saints... Who knows.