Crow's 2021 Chiefs Mock

kccrow

Preface: I love DE Joe Tryon, Washington and WR Dyami Brown, North Carolina but I don't think either will fall to 58 nor within the few picks KC could muster to trade up without diving into day 2 picks in 2022.

Round 2 #58 (f/BAL) | DE Payton Turner, Houston (6'5" 270)

Turner is the type of long, explosive defensive end with the ability to transition inside/out that Spags seems to value and is a prototype LDE for a 4-3 team like KC.

Round 2 #63 | CB Paulson Adebo, Stanford (6'1" 198)

Adebo is a long, physical corner with the athleticism to match receivers early in routes and run with them downfield and he has plus ball skills, something Veach values.

Round 4 #144 | LB Tony Fields II, West Virginia (6'0" 222)

Fields is a run and chase weakside linebacker with good coverage abilities on TEs and RBs out of the backfield and in zone that this team sorely lacks, just never confuse him with a run thumper.

Round 5 #175 | WR Austin Watkins, UAB (6'2" 207)

Watkins is an outside "X" type of receiver with enough athletic ability to keep defenders honest and simply catches the football when it's thrown his way, which is all this offense really needs from the position.

Round 5 #181 | OL Larry Borom, Missouri (6'5" 322)

Borom is a versatile, big-bodied lineman with good fundamental athleticism, a mean streak, and solid pass protection that projects well inside to either guard spot.

Round 6 #207 | RB Gerrid Doaks, Cincinnati (5'11" 228)

Doaks is a big runner with good quickness and speed that shows solid vision, outstanding pass protection, and good receiving skills to be a do-it-all rotational piece.

Roster
QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
FB: M. Burton
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, D. Williams, G. Doaks
WR: T. Hill, D. Robinson, M. Hardman, B. Pringle, A. Calloway, A. Watkins
TE: T. Kelce, N. Keizer, B. Bell

LT: O. Brown, M. Rankin, P. Tega Wanogho
LG: J. Thuney, Y. Durant
OC: A. Blythe, N. Allegretti
RG: L. Duvernay-Tardif, K. Long, L. Borom
RT: M. Remmers, L. Niang

DE: F. Clark, M. Danna
DT: C. Jones, T. Wharton
DT: D. Nnadi, J. Reed, K. Saunders
DE: P. Turner, T. Charlton

SLB: W. Gay, D. Harris
ILB: A. Hitchens, E. Smith
WLB: T. Fields, B. Niemann, D. O'Daniel

CB: C. Ward, L. Sneed, P. Abedo, R. Fenton, T. Keyes, D. Baker
S: T. Mathieu, J. Thornhill, D. Sorensen, A. Watts, R. Clemons

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester

Watkins tested like shit.  Terrible athleticism.  Not sure if he could keep up in Reid's offense. I would rather take a day 3 flyer on Seth Williams, Dez Fitzpatrick, or Josh Imatorbhebhe to develop for the X.

Everything else I am okay with.  I like Adebo

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

Watkins tested like shit.  Terrible athleticism.  Not sure if he could keep up in Reid's offense. I would rather take a day 3 flyer on Seth Williams, Dez Fitzpatrick, or Josh Imatorbhebhe to develop for the X.

Everything else I am okay with.  I like Adebo

I actually like Watkins a lot just watching him.  Not that concerned about his pro day.  He wins with being a good route runner with excellent hands and blocking.  I wasn't expecting him to blow the doors off in his pro day but yeah that was a bit disappointing.  I think he's a solid 4 but his testing probably means you could get him in the 5th or 6th round.  

Personally the only way I take Fields is if I think he can convert to that 3rd safety Sorenson role.  Spags likes his Will to be much bigger than that and they have to play the run.  Putting Gay at SLB also neutralizes some of his biggest strengths and would have him on the field about 20% of the time.  Not ideal.

Love the Turner pick.

Little higher than I'd like on Adebo but like the player so am fine with it.

As a mizzou honk I worry about Borom in our system.  Don't think he can play outside at all and not sure he can bend well enough to play inside.  Plays pretty upright.  

Excellent value with Doaks in the 6th.  Really like him.

Good to see you guys too, thanks Oldtimer! I lurk around here and there but haven't been around as much as I should be.

On Watkins, he ran faster than Demarcus Robinson did so there's that. I have no issues there. I much prefer Dyami Brown, he's been my draft crush at WR. Just don't think he's there. I sprint to the podium for Brown or Tryon. I think Tryon was in play at 31, Brown in a significant move up the board in 2.

As for the Fields pick, yeah he's a guy that could take on a lot more of what Sorensen does as he's primarily morphed into a WLB for KC but moves around the formation alot. 

On CB, it may not be a need this season but it sure is next year. Felton is meh, Ward is gone after this year and so is Baker in all likelihood. Baker hasn't proved shit and neither has Keyes. It's a year to get his feet wet as a 3rd CB, much like Sneed a year ago, and then start in 2022 with Sneed. The Chiefs have looked at a ton of CBs and most of them are pretty high-round guys. I like Ambry Thomas if he slips, but I had him pegged in the 3rd.