How the Chiefs Offense will be reshaped.

The Orlando Brown trade paired withe Joe Thune acquisition changes the capabilities of the Chiefs Offense.  I think the team now is a huge threat at running the Football, even when teams know it is coming.  Tampa Bay players were screaming that the Chiefs could not run it and to stay in their lane.  I think teams will have to account for the run now, to a much higher degree.  We should get better in short yardage situations, play action, screens, and potentially deep shots if teams are forced to play 8 in the box. 

I think after the Super Bowl loss, Andy Reid understands that the Chiefs must be more of a threat to run the ball and teams must pay a price for trying to play the Chiefs with smaller, faster backs and linebackers. We tried to do it at times last year, but did not have the Offensive line to execute it. I believe we now have an offensive line more suited to run the ball than in years past.  It should be an interesting year. 

11 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

The Orlando Brown trade paired withe Joe Thune acquisition changes the capabilities of the Chiefs Offense.  I think the team now is a huge threat at running the Football, even when teams know it is coming.  Tampa Bay players were screaming that the Chiefs could not run it and to stay in their lane.  I think teams will have to account for the run now, to a much higher degree.  We should get better in short yardage situations, play action, screens, and potentially deep shots if teams are forced to play 8 in the box. 

I think after the Super Bowl loss, Andy Reid understands that the Chiefs must be more of a threat to run the ball and teams must pay a price for trying to play the Chiefs with smaller, faster backs and linebackers. We tried to do it at times last year, but did not have the Offensive line to execute it. I believe we now have an offensive line more suited to run the ball than in years past.  It should be an interesting year. 

That's what is getting lost in all this clamoring for a WR. Our running game this yr is going to open things up for WHOEVER is on the outside opposite Hill. And Pat will find the guy that's open. 

40 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

I think Reid was executing a more run focused gameplan early last season. Injuries changed that. Looking forward to seeing what Clydes-dale can do this season. Should be way more balanced.

2 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

Agree. Veach Reid mahomes all know they have to run the ball. Defenses are going to play back and copy TB game plan. Now not all teams have the horses TB has but the point is there. 
I’m looking forward to seeing the chiefs run the ball down people’s throats like the 1 st Buffalo game. 

4 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

You would think so but Andy can't get out of his own way.  I saw a stat that when CEH rushed more than 12 times (12 freaking times!!!) we were undefeated and our margin of victory was sizably bigger.   CEH had some success in the SB but there were entire posessesions that we never handed it off.    Finally, I'm beyond tired of hearing the TB Bucs run their mouth.   They were gifted the biggest handicap possibly in SB history with our Oline, Andy Reid's son being a idiot and having the SB in TB.   There is no blueprint how to beat us because unless a catastrophe happens we will never have that poor of an oline in front of Mahomes ever again.    I hope TB and the rest of the NFL enjoys this because we are about to see a full season of petty Mahomes and I hope Andy grows a nut sack and decides to run the ball down peoples throats and run the score up.   It's time we instill the fear of God in all 31 teams this year.   

Andy wouldn't commit to running the ball when we had Hunt, I'm not convinced this will make any difference. We may see a game here or there it happens, but he's to obsessed with throwing. I get pat is the man, but you make the entire game easier on pat and the team with balance and unpredictability. I hope he changes with this improved line, but wouldn't put money in it. 

Meh you only need to run to get defenses to back off and to break tendencies.  Otherwise the right answer is give Pat the ball and let him make shit happen, as it's always a more efficient way to move the ball. 

Half of our run game is RPO's so if y'all want to bitch about running the ball more, talk to Pat not Andy.  He's making the call on those.  Frankly, Pat makes the right call most of the time.  

I agree Reid has been pass happy. But that may change after the SB. That has not happened in the mahomes era. Everybody learns and the chiefs may have adapted as long as he calls it right. Defenses will be scared of the run they will scared of the pass so the best way to have this is to run the ball early and often especially in the first 4 games. We will know on May 12 what teams we are playing. 
I rigged love the fact we have this option. 

14 hours ago, xen said:

Meh you only need to run to get defenses to back off and to break tendencies.  Otherwise the right answer is give Pat the ball and let him make shit happen, as it's always a more efficient way to move the ball. 

Half of our run game is RPO's so if y'all want to bitch about running the ball more, talk to Pat not Andy.  He's making the call on those.  Frankly, Pat makes the right call most of the time.  

This.  Also, when you have a generational talent at QB, there's no sense in lining up and running the ball half the time, especially when modern rules lend to the offense and more specifically the passing game.  We are likely looking at a 65/35 split.  They just need to be capable of running the ball so defenses can't go small and fast to get up the field on a pass rush.  

Count me in with the "running is overrated" crowd.  We need to be effective when we do run, but we have the best QB in the game AND passing is more efficient.  When you have Steph Curry raining down threes you don't become a better offense by getting Draymond Green to post up more.

We improved the line to protect Pat, not to make this offense worse by running more.  The line will make our running game better, but that should be a bonus, not the focus.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Count me in with the "running is overrated" crowd.  We need to be effective when we do run, but we have the best QB in the game AND passing is more efficient.  When you have Steph Curry raining down threes you don't become a better offense by getting Draymond Green to post up more.

We improved the line to protect Pat, not to make this offense worse by running more.  The line will make our running game better, but that should be a bonus, not the focus.

That makes sense. Why draft a RB at #1?  Hoping they get CH in the passing game this season.

I expect no matter how much we run, people will bitch about it.. but you see, the secret sauce here.. 

is if we can get decent to really good olinemen.. CEH doesnt have to block as much. 

meaning he can leak out in the flat, or just kinda wander into the second level.. 

giving us an extra, speedy shifty WR. 

In the end this is the west coast offense.. West Coast Offenses arent run and pound.. 

dink, dink, dink, 70 yards and touchdown. 

Neither is efficient in the NFL. If you go one dimensional the defenses will adjust and as seen in the SB some bad luck can render an entire offense useless if the other aspect isn't ready to take over. The most efficient way is simply to be able to do both at a decent level and adjust the ratio based on the needs of the specific situation. A solid running game will allow us to better utilize Mahomes and more importantly preserve him for a longer career. We have a generational talent at QB who injured his knee during a QB sneak, went into concussion protocol after a weird play that served no purpose, and became a punching bag in the SB as the defense didn't have to worry about anything else. 2 of the 3 situations in this list were due to lack of a decent running game (or trusted by the staff) and the other one is a consequence of it. 

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

That makes sense. Why draft a RB at #1?  Hoping they get CH in the passing game this season.

Well I wanted that move to work out, but as the year went on it became more clear that whether due to the line or our playcalling that CEH wasn't tipping the scales and that pick would have been best used elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Neither is efficient in the NFL. If you go one dimensional the defenses will adjust and as seen in the SB some bad luck can render an entire offense useless if the other aspect isn't ready to take over. The most efficient way is simply to be able to do both at a decent level and adjust the ratio based on the needs of the specific situation. A solid running game will allow us to better utilize Mahomes and more importantly preserve him for a longer career. We have a generational talent at QB who injured his knee during a QB sneak, went into concussion protocol after a weird play that served no purpose, and became a punching bag in the SB as the defense didn't have to worry about anything else. 2 of the 3 situations in this list were due to lack of a decent running game (or trusted by the staff) and the other one is a consequence of it. 

Patrick running for his life in the SB had nothing to do with the lack of a running game.

Your first few sentences just aren't consistent with what objective analysis of the NFL has shown over the last few years, but I know many around here believe their own ideas of what football should be over what the data says.

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Patrick running for his life in the SB had nothing to do with the lack of a running game.

Your first few sentences just aren't consistent with what objective analysis of the NFL has shown over the last few years, but I know many around here believe their own ideas of what football should be over what the data says.

Mahomes running for his life sure didn't have anything to do with the lack of a decent running game but if we could actually utilize such an aspect the pass rush wouldn't be so fierce and Mahomes could even get a breather. 

In the past it was run first and pass was complimentary. Right now the passing game has taken over and an even split is considered serious running. No matter how much emphasis is given to the run the pass attempts will likely exceed the rushes. However the run game should be there and available when needed for the ultimate goal. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

You said it, they use the RB for pass attack out of the back field. CEH was drafted for this. They use a short passing game as a running game too.

21 hours ago, sith13 said:

😄

On 4/26/2021 at 7:06 AM, Holmes4six! said:

When the hell is there a good TE class in the draft ? 
chiefs need to go after njokoi from Cleveland. 

I've never heard of a good TE class prior to the draft and haven't seen any TE drafted by the Chiefs as a serious prospect besides Gonzo. I'm sure there are people that focus on TE as well but in general the whole position seems to have less of a buzz than most others during the run up to the draft.