Looks like we will still have almost 9 million in space after the draft. With rolling it over and cap going up next year, we will be in a great situation or we can even use now if needed. Veach is a chess master.

usatoday.com/2021/04/28/kansas-city-chiefs-pre-draft-orlando-brown-jr-contract-trade-salary-cap-update-10-million/

The Kansas City Chiefs’ finances are still looking good following the Orlando Brown Jr. trade.

The last time we checked in on the salary cap, we were three weeks out from the draft and all the free-agent signings were officially on the books. The Chiefs had $13.3 million in space, which was a good spot to be heading into the 2021 NFL draft.

Following their recent trade to acquire Brown Jr. from the Baltimore Ravens, the Chiefs are still in good shape with the salary cap. Brown Jr., a former third-round draft pick who is still on his rookie contract, will count roughly $3.3 million against the Chiefs’ 2021 salary cap number per OverTheCap.

According to the latest NFLPA public salary cap report, the Chiefs are sitting at just over $10 million in cap space. That number includes Brown Jr. and 74 other players who currently count toward the 90-man offseason roster. It technically only includes the Top 51 contracts on the roster until the roster cuts and the regular season begins, but all players and contracts are accounted for in this number.

Another part of this trade to take into consideration, the Chiefs no longer will need as much cap space to sign their rookie draft picks. According to OverTheCap’s projections, the Chiefs will need just under $1.1 million in cap space to sign their rookie class. If they make some more trades, that number could certainly change, but I wouldn’t expect it to get much higher without a first-round draft pick.

Brett Veach and his staff should be left with around $8.9 million after the draft. They can use that money to address the remaining needs of the team in a few different ways. They can use it on newly released players or remaining free agents. They could also seek out some more players to acquire in trade, perhaps as we get closer to the season. One option is to hang onto the cap money until later in the season to make a midseason trade or free-agent acquisition. They’ll also have the option to roll those extra salary cap dollars over into the 2022 NFL season, raising their effective cap space.

Overall, the Chiefs are in good shape heading into the draft despite making some big additions via trade and free agency during the 2021 offseason.

6 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The average around the NFL is $12,047,869

8 teams have over $20 million

1 team has almost $40 million

How is Veach a chessmaster?

Because we were over at the beginning of the year. Cut players and extended or made bonuses etc and he got us well under. Then to sign the FA he did retool our whole line and still have 9 million left? Oh don't forget he can still do other options like extend HB for more. All this on a team that has been to 3 straight AFC championships, 2 SBs and huge contracts to our core players......while continuing to be a great team.

You don't see that as a chess master? I mean we gave our qb his huge deal and still able to do all this. He has it planned out that contracts can be rid of and still complete the team. Last year we had 87 bucks in FA and we signed Watkins,  Jones, Kelce and Mahomes to new deals. Come on, even you have to admit he is damn good.

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Don't know that Veach is a chess master but up to this point, he has arranged contracts in a manner to leave some cap space while keeping a top tier team together.  How many of those eight teams you mentioned made the playoffs and how many were in three conference championship games in a row?

Just now, jetlord said:

Don't know that Veach is a chess master but up to this point, he has arranged contracts in a manner to leave some cap space while keeping a top tier team together.  How many of those eight teams you mentioned made the playoffs and how many were in three conference games in a row?

Lol what I just said pretty much. I did go into last years FA and cap though too on who we signed. Veach is thinking so far ahead on moves,  like a chess master would. 

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't know that Veach is a chess master but up to this point, he has arranged contracts in a manner to leave some cap space while keeping a top tier team together.  How many of those eight teams you mentioned made the playoffs and how many were in three conference championship games in a row?

You had $5mill carryover from 2020.

Every good GM does what VEach did- stop with the hero worship.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Yeah guys... don't you know true chess masters only win 1 playoff game in 5 years.  

Geez.... super bowls aren't chess

Just now, Handswarmer said:

I certainly don't worship Veach.  He's made many moves that I think were ill advised.  But you have to admit that he's had success in contract management so far.  After Dorsey, that's a pretty big deal in KC. 

43 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I certainly don't worship Veach.  He's made many moves that I think were ill advised.  But you have to admit that he's had success in contract management so far.  After Dorsey, that's a pretty big deal in KC. 

To be fair to Dorsey, he let Jamal and my Fav LB go to shed salary but he did draft Hill and Kelce.

41 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Is every GM leading a team that has 3 straight conference championship appearances? Consecutive SBs? Favorites again this year? Yours sure isn't. 

Consistency is the key. Veach has been there for a short time. My GM is doing just fine https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/eric-decosta-named-sporting-news-nfl-executive-of-the-year

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Looks like we will still have almost 9 million in space after the draft. With rolling it over and cap going up next year, we will be in a great situation or we can even use now if needed. Veach is a chess master.

usatoday.com/2021/04/28/kansas-city-chiefs-pre-draft-orlando-brown-jr-contract-trade-salary-cap-update-10-million/

The Kansas City Chiefs’ finances are still looking good following the Orlando Brown Jr. trade.

The last time we checked in on the salary cap, we were three weeks out from the draft and all the free-agent signings were officially on the books. The Chiefs had $13.3 million in space, which was a good spot to be heading into the 2021 NFL draft.

Following their recent trade to acquire Brown Jr. from the Baltimore Ravens, the Chiefs are still in good shape with the salary cap. Brown Jr., a former third-round draft pick who is still on his rookie contract, will count roughly $3.3 million against the Chiefs’ 2021 salary cap number per OverTheCap.

According to the latest NFLPA public salary cap report, the Chiefs are sitting at just over $10 million in cap space. That number includes Brown Jr. and 74 other players who currently count toward the 90-man offseason roster. It technically only includes the Top 51 contracts on the roster until the roster cuts and the regular season begins, but all players and contracts are accounted for in this number.

Another part of this trade to take into consideration, the Chiefs no longer will need as much cap space to sign their rookie draft picks. According to OverTheCap’s projections, the Chiefs will need just under $1.1 million in cap space to sign their rookie class. If they make some more trades, that number could certainly change, but I wouldn’t expect it to get much higher without a first-round draft pick.

Brett Veach and his staff should be left with around $8.9 million after the draft. They can use that money to address the remaining needs of the team in a few different ways. They can use it on newly released players or remaining free agents. They could also seek out some more players to acquire in trade, perhaps as we get closer to the season. One option is to hang onto the cap money until later in the season to make a midseason trade or free-agent acquisition. They’ll also have the option to roll those extra salary cap dollars over into the 2022 NFL season, raising their effective cap space.

Overall, the Chiefs are in good shape heading into the draft despite making some big additions via trade and free agency during the 2021 offseason.

Thanks good info. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

He also dealt with horrible contracts by Dorsey.   Houston 100 million hardly played,  Eric Berry 100 million hardly played and just got out of his contract this year!!!,  LDT over paid for a below avg RG,  Anthony Hitchens over paid for a middle of the pack MLB.   

We also locked up our qb already.   That deal already looks team friendly and you will have to probably have to pay LJ more  than Mahomes.  Can't wait for y'all to have to navigate those waters.  

Next year we will get rid of LDT's and Hitchens contract.   We can get out of Clarks next year and Jones in 2 years if need be.   People talk about how we will have no flexibility but we literally have all the flexibility we need.  We have locked down our best players, players that have gotten us to 2 straight SB.   We have young guys developing behind them.   

Not saying there aren't other chessmasters out there but hard to criticize a guy who is responsible for 3 straight conference title games and 2 SB appearances.  

14 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Talk about hero worship> My GM? 

Talk about this after he has to sign LJ to a long term contract.   LJ will want more per year than Mahomes and I can't wait to see DeCosta put together roster that already can't figure out the Chiefs when he has to pay his QB a fortune.   If they vote him ex of the year after that then we can talk.     Oh and Veach has already done that and still put together a better roster.

I do admit that Baltimore does a great job at drafting and is a well-run organization.  Top notch.  I also believe DeCosta is a great exec but his tenure will probably be defined by how he addressed the LJ contract.   He is a conundrum.   He is a talented guy and can win plenty of games, but he hasn't developed they way you would hope after 3 years.  He will probably command a salary equal to or more than Mahomes' per year contract and the longer you wait the more it will be because of the TV contracts.   That will limit your roster building ability and if you're already struggling to get to the top of the AFC now......how, unless LJ develops more, can they do it afterwards?     

10 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I do admit that Baltimore does a great job at drafting and is a well-run organization.  Top notch.  I also believe DeCosta is a great exec but his tenure will probably be defined by how he addressed the LJ contract.   He is a conundrum.   He is a talented guy and can win plenty of games, but he hasn't developed they way you would hope after 3 years.  He will probably command a salary equal to or more than Mahomes' per year contract and the longer you wait the more it will be because of the TV contracts.   That will limit your roster building ability and if you're already struggling to get to the top of the AFC now......how, unless LJ develops more, can they do it afterwards?     

On this board, and with other friends I have that are KC fans, the tendency to use Mahomes as a measuring stick skews the evaluation of LJ.

The knock on him is "he can't throw"- but he doesn't have to as much as others. But his pass efficiency is right there at the top of the league

43 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Talk about hero worship> My GM? 

My TEAMS GM??? Really, get a grip man...

27 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Talk about this after he has to sign LJ to a long term contract.   LJ will want more per year than Mahomes and I can't wait to see DeCosta put together roster that already can't figure out the Chiefs when he has to pay his QB a fortune.   If they vote him ex of the year after that then we can talk.     Oh and Veach has already done that and still put together a better roster.

If you do not think that EDC will be creative with LJ8's contract then you are crazy.

31 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He also dealt with horrible contracts by Dorsey.   Houston 100 million hardly played,  Eric Berry 100 million hardly played and just got out of his contract this year!!!,  LDT over paid for a below avg RG,  Anthony Hitchens over paid for a middle of the pack MLB.   

We also locked up our qb already.   That deal already looks team friendly and you will have to probably have to pay LJ more  than Mahomes.  Can't wait for y'all to have to navigate those waters.  

Next year we will get rid of LDT's and Hitchens contract.   We can get out of Clarks next year and Jones in 2 years if need be.   People talk about how we will have no flexibility but we literally have all the flexibility we need.  We have locked down our best players, players that have gotten us to 2 straight SB.   We have young guys developing behind them.   

Not saying there aren't other chessmasters out there but hard to criticize a guy who is responsible for 3 straight conference title games and 2 SB appearances.  

I never criticized Veach; just the hero worship that goes on in here for what is literally in his job description.

13 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I never criticized Veach; just the hero worship that goes on in here for what is literally in his job description.

so basically your holding it against those of us who are appreciative of what we got after 50 years of  sometimes average to often abysmal GMing? Your bordering on  becoming a troll again..maybe come back next season?

37 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

It's in every GMs job description.  That doesn't mean they do it well.  I'm sure you'd prefer we have a Gettleman or Bill O’Brien sucking at the job as maybe you could beat us then, but we'll go ahead and roll with our guy.  It's worked out pretty well so far. 

The track record for chiefs GMs up until Veach was not great so please excuse us while we just go ahead and enjoy ourselves without your permission.