The 2021 Draft Thread

IMO we are overloaded with guards on this team.  We have two guys for RT so the only spot that would be open is at center which provides good value here in the 2nd round.  There aren't many X recievers left, maybe just Marshall.   Tons of slot guys but we already have a couple of those guys.   TE provides some value but thats about it on O.

DE/OLB are already down to like 3-4 guys left that have much upside.   CB is meh at this point in the draft.    There are quite a few Safeties that would be great for us as slot/hbyrid guys like Riche Grant/E. Molden/A. Samuel.   

The value this round is those trex tackles that would make for great guards.    

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Biggest surprise to me is the number of edge rushers that went in the first.  Same with the LBs.  Cuts the odds of one dropping to the Chiefs.  Also more likely that Veach will trade up for his target.

Value this round is OG, OC, TE, and S.   Quinn Meinerz and Richie Grant will be our picks.   Not my favorite selections but good value and two good players that will help this year.  

I'd rather have Quinn and Terrence Marshall.

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Value this round is OG, OC, TE, and S.   Quinn Meinerz and Richie Grant will be our picks.   Not my favorite selections but good value and two good players that will help this year.  

I'd rather have Quinn and Terrence Marshall.

Gotta make a new board tomorrow, but I see no way Marshall lasts until #58.  Maybe trade down with one of the seconds and get Meinerz and Amon Ra or Niko.

8 minutes ago, Balto said:

I’d like to see:

#58:  In order

Creed Humphrey, OC

Quinn Meinerz, OC

Wyatt Davis, OC

Landon Dickerson, OC

#63:

Pete Werner, LB

There's still the question whether Davis can play OC.  He was a OG in school.  Meinerz would be my first choice at OC.  Don't care about a small school.  He's a mauler and would have a year behind Blythe if needed.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Gotta make a new board tomorrow, but I see no way Marshall lasts until #58.  Maybe trade down with one of the seconds and get Meinerz and Amon Ra or Niko.

There are reports about a knee issue and that is why he might fall.   Its a new issue so who knows.   I would be completely fine trading that 63 back for a pick in the early 70s and another in the back of the 3rd.   Pick up Tylan Wallace.

I think we should address DE in FA unless Basham or Azeez fall into our lap.

Drafts I liked:

Bengals - Chase is looking great right now with all the OL talent still left.  This could look awful though if the pick early 2nd isn't OT.  Stay tuned.

Dolphins - Waddle in Phillips is a strong combo and let's not forget they got more in the pocket.

Bears - Going after Fields was a great move.  There is a caveat though....this might be a great selection......for the next regime.

Giants - Toney was a reach, but he makes sense with Danny Dimes and they got a nice haul to move down.  Denver is fucking stupid for not taking the haul if they were offered.

Vikings - Darrisaw was a good puck and getting extra picks and Darrisaw was great.

Steelers - A lot of people hate this choice, but Harris is a great RB who will solve a lot of problems if they go OL heavy tomorrow.  We will see.

Browns - A great pick for a major hole.

Drafts I hated:

Broncos - Passing on Fields and a big trade down package to take another corner is baffling.  Surtain is good but I don't think the Broncos are any better today.

49ers - Trey Lance?  Hey fine.  I don't understand why the felt they had to trade up for this, though.

It will always be a bad trade. 

Cowboys - Talented LB but man I don't think that's what was pressing in Fallas and he has some major concerns.  Major.

Jaguars - Spending a first round pick on a 3rd down back is insane.

Ravens - Reached for Bateman so that Lamar has another WR to overthrow.  Followed up with a zero sack wonder.  Yikes.

Packers - Wasn't even the best CB from Georgia 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There's still the question whether Davis can play OC.  He was a OG in school.  Meinerz would be my first choice at OC.  Don't care about a small school.  He's a mauler and would have a year behind Blythe if needed.  

Not know if Long or LDT is comletely back Quinn could push for RG reps too.   Yeah I'm really warming up to the idea of Meinerz at 58.   Hope he lasts.   In a perfect world I would prefer Landon but injuries do scare me.

Dickerson is very intriguing but injuries are always scary, wouldn't mind going with another option. Frankly I consider Dickerson, Meinerz, Humphrey, Myers all viable options in 2nd and I think at least one would be available in 3rd if we decide to trade down. 

5 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Drafts I liked:

Bengals - Chase is looking great right now with all the OL talent still left.  This could look awful though if the pick early 2nd isn't OT.  Stay tuned.

Dolphins - Waddle in Phillips is a strong combo and let's not forget they got more in the pocket.

Bears - Going after Fields was a great move.  There is a caveat though....this might be a great selection......for the next regime.

Giants - Toney was a reach, but he makes sense with Danny Dimes and they got a nice haul to move down.  Denver is fucking stupid for not taking the haul if they were offered.

Vikings - Darrisaw was a good puck and getting extra picks and Darrisaw was great.

Steelers - A lot of people hate this choice, but Harris is a great RB who will solve a lot of problems if they go OL heavy tomorrow.  We will see.

Browns - A great pick for a major hole.

Drafts I hated:

Broncos - Passing on Fields and a big trade down package to take another corner is baffling.  Surtain is good but I don't think the Broncos are any better today.

49ers - Trey Lance?  Hey fine.  I don't understand why the felt they had to trade up for this, though.

It will always be a bad trade. 

Cowboys - Talented LB but man I don't think that's what was pressing in Fallas and he has some major concerns.  Major.

Jaguars - Spending a first round pick on a 3rd down back is insane.

Ravens - Reached for Bateman so that Lamar has another WR to overthrow.  Followed up with a zero sack wonder.  Yikes.

Packers - Wasn't even the best CB from Georgia 

Denver must have been counting on getting rodgers, other than that i have no explanation for how they or the raiduhs drafted 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Meinerz was a guard as well.  His only exposure to OC was at the senior bowl however he did look really good in those reps.  No opinion on Davis at C as it's pure projection so who knows.

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Disagree.  A lot of upside and can play 3 downs.

Shitty draft for edge rushers.  I thought he would go in the 30's, so I wouldn't call it a major reach.

Oh I like the player I just think it's way too high.  I thought his value would be in the 40's.  He's a good prospect but needs a lot of work on his technique and not the fastest processor.  Would have jumped on him mid 2nd though.

20 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Maybe Love is not seen as the guy now that GB worked with him for a year? 

I get that part of it, but then GB goes and does what they do best and draft a CB in the first round, and they cannot understand why Rodgers does not want anything to do with that team any more...

2 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

I get that part of it, but then GB goes and does what they do best and draft a CB in the first round, and they cannot understand why Rodgers does not want anything to do with that team any more...

Rodgers is a bit of a jerk or spoiled brat. So maybe he was disrespected but geez no need to go public. He got MVP so he must have a good supporting cast.

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

So there were no decent left tackles left at 31?

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I feel really good about our trade.  Did before the draft but especially do now!

9 hours ago, Balto said:

Nope, would all be HUGE reaches

And Brown was a 3rd round pick but now he is worth a 1st?

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Andy Benoit's Grade: C+

They have 2016 first-rounder Ronnie Stanley on the left side. On the right side, James Hurst was just signed to a four-year deal. Will Hurst move to guard, where he has filled in at times? Will Brown move there? Did the Ravens spend a third-round pick simply on depth (albeit at an important position)?

Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer

My take: Newsome makes a heartfelt selection -- and one that fills a big need -- by taking Orlando Brown Jr. with the No. 83 overall pick. Brown could start at the same right-tackle spot his father, “Zeus,” played 13 years ago. Brown Sr. started six seasons at right tackle for the Ravens and his son was frequently around the team. Orlando Brown Sr. died in September 2011 at age 40 from diabetic ketoacidosis. The Ravens moved back twice in the third round and were still able to get Brown, who slid from being a first-round prospect because of a disastrous NFL combine.

How he fits: Brown will compete with James Hurst for the starting right-tackle job. Baltimore has a void there after declining the option on Austin Howard, a 16-game starter last season. Brown looks like a first-round talent based on the eyeball test. He has a massive frame at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, and has long arms, which is what teams want out of their edge blockers. But Brown is considered to have below-average athletic ability, which is why he struggled at the combine and saw his stock drop significantly.

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

And Brown was a 3rd round pick but now he is worth a 1st?

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Andy Benoit's Grade: C+

They have 2016 first-rounder Ronnie Stanley on the left side. On the right side, James Hurst was just signed to a four-year deal. Will Hurst move to guard, where he has filled in at times? Will Brown move there? Did the Ravens spend a third-round pick simply on depth (albeit at an important position)?

Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer

My take: Newsome makes a heartfelt selection -- and one that fills a big need -- by taking Orlando Brown Jr. with the No. 83 overall pick. Brown could start at the same right-tackle spot his father, “Zeus,” played 13 years ago. Brown Sr. started six seasons at right tackle for the Ravens and his son was frequently around the team. Orlando Brown Sr. died in September 2011 at age 40 from diabetic ketoacidosis. The Ravens moved back twice in the third round and were still able to get Brown, who slid from being a first-round prospect because of a disastrous NFL combine.

How he fits: Brown will compete with James Hurst for the starting right-tackle job. Baltimore has a void there after declining the option on Austin Howard, a 16-game starter last season. Brown looks like a first-round talent based on the eyeball test. He has a massive frame at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, and has long arms, which is what teams want out of their edge blockers. But Brown is considered to have below-average athletic ability, which is why he struggled at the combine and saw his stock drop significantly.

Whatever. You are a true light in the world of good things.