The 2021 Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

And Brown was a 3rd round pick but now he is worth a 1st?

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Andy Benoit's Grade: C+

They have 2016 first-rounder Ronnie Stanley on the left side. On the right side, James Hurst was just signed to a four-year deal. Will Hurst move to guard, where he has filled in at times? Will Brown move there? Did the Ravens spend a third-round pick simply on depth (albeit at an important position)?

Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer

My take: Newsome makes a heartfelt selection -- and one that fills a big need -- by taking Orlando Brown Jr. with the No. 83 overall pick. Brown could start at the same right-tackle spot his father, “Zeus,” played 13 years ago. Brown Sr. started six seasons at right tackle for the Ravens and his son was frequently around the team. Orlando Brown Sr. died in September 2011 at age 40 from diabetic ketoacidosis. The Ravens moved back twice in the third round and were still able to get Brown, who slid from being a first-round prospect because of a disastrous NFL combine.

How he fits: Brown will compete with James Hurst for the starting right-tackle job. Baltimore has a void there after declining the option on Austin Howard, a 16-game starter last season. Brown looks like a first-round talent based on the eyeball test. He has a massive frame at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, and has long arms, which is what teams want out of their edge blockers. But Brown is considered to have below-average athletic ability, which is why he struggled at the combine and saw his stock drop significantly.

Cool thanks for his scouting report that is 100% irrelevant now.  Feel better now little guy?

16 minutes ago, Balto said:

Am I the only one that secretly wants a center AND guard with our 2nd rounds picks?  Meinerz+Dickerson hmmmm sounds good.

Not sure if anyone explicitly wants an OG and OC but I'm pretty sure everyone would be content with nothing but OL after last year's disaster. 

25 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if anyone explicitly wants an OG and OC but I'm pretty sure everyone would be content with nothing but OL after last year's disaster. 

For me  its time to move on. Problem solved. Funeral for that line was last week.

9 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

HUH? Time to move on. Problem solved. Funeral for that line was last week.

Team was 14-2. So one loss, even SB, was not the entire year. I think that TB team was good too. 

Chiefs have only 2 linemen under contract for 2022 worth anything. It'll be 3 with Brown's extension in the summer or next offseason assuming he'll play ball. That leaves 2 spots open with OC being a major need already. The only reason we went 14-2 is Mahomes, and the only way to repeat last couple seasons is protecting Mahomes. Veach already showed that he's aware of the major need and will likely add linemen in the draft. Wouldn't be surprised if those guys come in the 2nd. 

17 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Patriots got the big win with Jones falling. Denver passing on QBs was a surprise to me. 

They probably heard about Tebow's return. Heard somewhere that he's the only QB drafted by Broncos to win a playoff game for the team in quite a while. May be they are contemplating a reunion. 

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Am I the only one that secretly wants a center AND guard with our 2nd rounds picks?  Meinerz+Dickerson hmmmm sounds good.

Yes, you probably are.  In an impossible world where the Chiefs had no other needs, two IOL might make sense if the value was there.  But the needs at WR and DE this season and a greater one at LB next year (Andy doesn't play rookie LBs much) leaves the Chiefs needing to fill other spots.  Add in replacements for Ward and Sorenson/Watts and there will be players of value in the second round that fit. Drafting for need might be dumb, but ignoring needs is dumber.  

8 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Drafts I liked:

Bengals - Chase is looking great right now with all the OL talent still left.  This could look awful though if the pick early 2nd isn't OT.  Stay tuned.

Dolphins - Waddle in Phillips is a strong combo and let's not forget they got more in the pocket.

Bears - Going after Fields was a great move.  There is a caveat though....this might be a great selection......for the next regime.

Giants - Toney was a reach, but he makes sense with Danny Dimes and they got a nice haul to move down.  Denver is fucking stupid for not taking the haul if they were offered.

Vikings - Darrisaw was a good puck and getting extra picks and Darrisaw was great.

Steelers - A lot of people hate this choice, but Harris is a great RB who will solve a lot of problems if they go OL heavy tomorrow.  We will see.

Browns - A great pick for a major hole.

Drafts I hated:

Broncos - Passing on Fields and a big trade down package to take another corner is baffling.  Surtain is good but I don't think the Broncos are any better today.

49ers - Trey Lance?  Hey fine.  I don't understand why the felt they had to trade up for this, though.

It will always be a bad trade. 

Cowboys - Talented LB but man I don't think that's what was pressing in Fallas and he has some major concerns.  Major.

Jaguars - Spending a first round pick on a 3rd down back is insane.

Ravens - Reached for Bateman so that Lamar has another WR to overthrow.  Followed up with a zero sack wonder.  Yikes.

Packers - Wasn't even the best CB from Georgia 

How did you overlook the Raiders usual reach?  😉

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Drafts I liked:

Bengals - Chase is looking great right now with all the OL talent still left.  This could look awful though if the pick early 2nd isn't OT.  Stay tuned.

Dolphins - Waddle in Phillips is a strong combo and let's not forget they got more in the pocket.

Bears - Going after Fields was a great move.  There is a caveat though....this might be a great selection......for the next regime.

Giants - Toney was a reach, but he makes sense with Danny Dimes and they got a nice haul to move down.  Denver is fucking stupid for not taking the haul if they were offered.

Vikings - Darrisaw was a good puck and getting extra picks and Darrisaw was great.

Steelers - A lot of people hate this choice, but Harris is a great RB who will solve a lot of problems if they go OL heavy tomorrow.  We will see.

Browns - A great pick for a major hole.

Drafts I hated:

Broncos - Passing on Fields and a big trade down package to take another corner is baffling.  Surtain is good but I don't think the Broncos are any better today.

49ers - Trey Lance?  Hey fine.  I don't understand why the felt they had to trade up for this, though.

It will always be a bad trade. 

Cowboys - Talented LB but man I don't think that's what was pressing in Fallas and he has some major concerns.  Major.

Jaguars - Spending a first round pick on a 3rd down back is insane.

Ravens - Reached for Bateman so that Lamar has another WR to overthrow.  Followed up with a zero sack wonder.  Yikes.

Packers - Wasn't even the best CB from Georgia 

Etienne is much more than a third down back.  

6 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I think Etienne is a good player, but they had a pretty good feature back last season and had too many holes to get a 2nd one.

I understood the security blanket reasoning somewhat until Urban said he will be just a 3rd down back.

A waste of resource for a team with holes all over.

I agree with that.  Crazy to take a 3rd down back in the 1st round. 

37 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Etienne is much more than a third down back.  

Yeah but for team with a stud at running back in Robinson it was kind of a wasted pick imo.   You are right though he is far more than a 3rd down back.  I see Jamal Charles lite.

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

And Brown was a 3rd round pick but now he is worth a 1st?

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Andy Benoit's Grade: C+

They have 2016 first-rounder Ronnie Stanley on the left side. On the right side, James Hurst was just signed to a four-year deal. Will Hurst move to guard, where he has filled in at times? Will Brown move there? Did the Ravens spend a third-round pick simply on depth (albeit at an important position)?

Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer

My take: Newsome makes a heartfelt selection -- and one that fills a big need -- by taking Orlando Brown Jr. with the No. 83 overall pick. Brown could start at the same right-tackle spot his father, “Zeus,” played 13 years ago. Brown Sr. started six seasons at right tackle for the Ravens and his son was frequently around the team. Orlando Brown Sr. died in September 2011 at age 40 from diabetic ketoacidosis. The Ravens moved back twice in the third round and were still able to get Brown, who slid from being a first-round prospect because of a disastrous NFL combine.

How he fits: Brown will compete with James Hurst for the starting right-tackle job. Baltimore has a void there after declining the option on Austin Howard, a 16-game starter last season. Brown looks like a first-round talent based on the eyeball test. He has a massive frame at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, and has long arms, which is what teams want out of their edge blockers. But Brown is considered to have below-average athletic ability, which is why he struggled at the combine and saw his stock drop significantly.

I wonder what Tom Brady’s pre-draft evaluation said? Or Joe Montana’s? 

3 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I wonder what Tom Brady’s pre-draft evaluation said? Or Joe Montana’s? 

Good point. No doubt in todays world we can find plenty of sources online to support almost any crazy opinion. Its still the same. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.

How is a write up regarding a rookie prospect, who never stepped foot onto an NFL field  at the time, being worth a 3rd round pick relevant to the same player who is now a proven pro-bowl veteran at T 4 years later?

Is Mahomes only worth the 10th pick now?  Or Kelce a 3rd round? Hill a 5th round? 

8 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

How is a write up regarding a rookie prospect, who never stepped foot onto an NFL field  at the time, being worth a 3rd round pick relevant to the same player who is now a proven pro-bowl veteran at T 4 years later?

Is Mahomes only worth the 10th pick now?  Or Kelce a 3rd round? Hill a 5th round? 

BINGO. Its crazy thinking.

48 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Good point. No doubt in todays world we can find plenty of sources online to support almost any crazy opinion. Its still the same. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.

But how many references Poker to Go Fish?