44 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

In my defense I quit after page 3. I actually usually agree with him on most things regarding personnel, but I think writing off every player over 30 that has any injury history is an opportunity to miss getting a bounce back vet on the cheap. Thoughts?

I think there has to be balance... if there's a vet out there that you think can help on a one year contract then you go for it.  The ideal is playing the young guys and they all pan out, but there's a reason only a small % of players drafted are still in the NFL.  

This draft is not the norm, lot of unknown medicals, opt outs,  et al.  Draft is a crap shoot on a normal year, more so this year with COVID. So my guess is more time to develop will be needed and I got no issue with a vet that can potentially help fill some gaps. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Maybe.  But it's also possible that someone like Ingram won't stay unsigned until the new DE is evaluated.  Sometime soon, those aging vets will get anxious to nail down a job.  Probably every case is different. 

That's why I said when the cuts down to 53. There are always some picks ups then. 

56 minutes ago, Palangi said:

That's why I said when the cuts down to 53. There are always some picks ups then. 

So you think the cuts in early Sept. will be better than the unsigned FAs today?  Maybe.  Actually, aside from DBs and a cover type LB, there's not much the Chiefs will be shopping for.  I don't see a huge upgrade at DE on the horizon.  But if the Chiefs want to sign Breeland, they might not want to want until the final 53 rosters are set.  

This is a veteran that fits a BIG CHIEF NEED NOW!  Probably Low Cost & Role vs Lots of Snaps. Not washed up. 

For Justin Houston, he’s now facing the reality that the door has officially closed with the Indianapolis Colts. And fans of his former team, the K.C. Chiefs, are wondering whether he might be a part of the future once again.

With the selection of two prospects to go with the incumbents on the roster, it looked as if there might not be room for Houston to return. The Colts had previously signed away Houston from K.C. on a two-year deal in free agency, a stint in which Houston proved he still had plenty left in the tank with 53 quarterback pressures and 19 total sacks.

59 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

This is a veteran that fits a BIG CHIEF NEED NOW!  Probably Low Cost & Role vs Lots of Snaps. Not washed up. 

For Justin Houston, he’s now facing the reality that the door has officially closed with the Indianapolis Colts. And fans of his former team, the K.C. Chiefs, are wondering whether he might be a part of the future once again.

With the selection of two prospects to go with the incumbents on the roster, it looked as if there might not be room for Houston to return. The Colts had previously signed away Houston from K.C. on a two-year deal in free agency, a stint in which Houston proved he still had plenty left in the tank with 53 quarterback pressures and 19 total sacks.

I'd say the supporting class is better as well so that'd help

32 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't know about the issue or drama between the two sides but it makes so much sense on so many levels to bring this guy in.  He could finish strong here and get himself a ring.  I like him a lot more than Melvin Ingram.

Word

5 hours ago, xen said:

Word

Ingram is on the smaller side for a Spags DE.   He would be a pass-rushing DE and Houston prides value in both areas plus I think he was always a better player than Ingram so he could be a better mentor to the younger guys along with Clark.   But who knows, maybe he told Andy Reid that hamburgers were better than cheeseburgers when walking out the door and Andy just can't get over that heresy.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I like Houston but he's remember he's close to the wall and probably still wants good $$$.  Realistically i doubt he wants to play for what we probably want to spend.

I'd be willing to bet this is the case.   His one hope is that a team with two good bookends loses one to a season ending injury before or during camp and is desperate to overpay a little for a band aid.   Risky and I'm sure we aren't offering much.

I don't have a link to share but I remember it being said that really Houston wanted to stay but the team was ready to move on, and that's where the bad blood is.  When he got a sack against us in 2019 with the bad OL and Patrick limping around he did his "prayer bow" celebration and it seemed pretty loaded.

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I don't have a link to share but I remember it being said that really Houston wanted to stay but the team was ready to move on, and that's where the bad blood is.  When he got a sack against us in 2019 with the bad OL and Patrick limping around he did his "prayer bow" celebration and it seemed pretty loaded.

I would have wanted stay also at that salary. Houston probably could have taken a big pay cut to stay.  Maybe not. But he is a crazy if he thinks we should have kept him as the highest paid defensive player in the league when not producing double digit sacks.  No offense, Frank. 

Haven't read the whole thread but honestly if this is the roster we go into camp with, I can live with it.

I would kick the tires on bring Breezy back or getting one of these vet flyers at edge or WR.  But I don't feel like we have some crazy hole in at any spot.  Just some areas that will be average rather than amazing.

Caveat that the above assumes they start playing Gay over Niemann.

Just now, DieHard said:

I would have wanted stay also at that salary. Houston probably could have taken a big pay cut to stay.  Maybe not. But he is a crazy if he thinks we should have kept him as the highest paid defensive player in the league when not producing double digit sacks.  No offense, Frank. 

Again, I don't know the details but based on what I read it seems that either Houston took it personally (instead of realizing it was just business) or maybe he was hoping for a compromise that KC didn't offer.  In either case I feel like the bridge was at least damaged, if not completely burned.

2 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Again, I don't know the details but based on what I read it seems that either Houston took it personally (instead of realizing it was just business) or maybe he was hoping for a compromise that KC didn't offer.  In either case I feel like the bridge was at least damaged, if not completely burned.

I am sure your right. I remember hearing something similar. 

5 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Caveat that the above assumes they start playing Gay over Niemann.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't.  Gay is a talented guy learning a complex Spagnuolo system.  Niemann is a placeholder IMO, and not a very good one at that.  In fact, I think this will be a breakout year for Gay, at least by midseason.  That is based on my assumption that Gay is a rapid mental processing guy.