Draft Grades (What is the Point)

Why do all these Networks and Sites have to put out some kind of grade on these Drafts, it always appears that they grade based on the Name of the player drafted and not what skill he may bring to a team down the road. Funniest one i saw had David Carr at NFLN give the chiefs a B for their draft but he gave the raiduhs an A+, the Chargers an A and the Bronco's B+

1 minute ago, KC Warpaint said:

Why do all these Networks and Sites have to put out some kind of grade on these Drafts, it always appears that they grade based on the Name of the player drafted and not what skill he may bring to a team down the road. Funniest one i saw had David Carr at NFLN give the chiefs a B for their draft but he gave the raiduhs an A+, the Chargers an A and the Bronco's B+

Yes and most grade everyone high. I guess they dont use a curve. Same as when picks are being made. This guy that and this guy will. Blah Blah Blah. Lots of airtime to cover and negativity/controversy creates anger=  ratings. I try to avoid the talking heads. 

12 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Well they need to keep those "experts" busy until the camp starts. Grades and such take about a week, and then they'll worry about some upcoming contracts. 

Rookie camp will be something to talk about, but I'm not sure the media will get all that much access.  Of course, we'll be hanging on every word that does come out. 

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

I'll give the Chiefs a C. C for Champion. Super Bowl Champion. Can't wait

I can't either.  I desperately want to see what Mahomes can do behind a decent O-line.  I know why they didn't use an early pick on a WR.  Mahomes is going to have more time to throw to the guys we already have.

34 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I can't either.  I desperately want to see what Mahomes can do behind a decent O-line.  I know why they didn't use an early pick on a WR.  Mahomes is going to have more time to throw to the guys we already have.

Mahomes behind a wall of a line will make even Robinson and Hardman decent receivers right away. 

49 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Rookie camp will be something to talk about, but I'm not sure the media will get all that much access.  Of course, we'll be hanging on every word that does come out. 

All teams are talking about fans in the TC, which gives me hope about the rookie minicamp going on as usual but still scared of the NFL messing it up due to the pandemic. 

With 2 young linemen + 1 LB likely to start and 2 receivers expected to contribute from day one this should be a really interesting rookie camp. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

All teams are talking about fans in the TC, which gives me hope about the rookie minicamp going on as usual but still scared of the NFL messing it up due to the pandemic. 

With 2 young linemen + 1 LB likely to start and 2 receivers expected to contribute from day one this should be a really interesting rookie camp. 

There are definitely some young interesting guys to watch in rookie camp. 

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Agreed. Manning and Brady made multi millionaires out of guys like Welker, Edelman, Branch. Give Mahomes some time and he could make Snoop Minnis look elite

The talking heads are paid to squawk and, since there’s nothing to talk about now, they have to make up stuff while the cameras roll. Draft grades are silly, but it keeps eyes glued to the tube. 

That said, the only way to grade any draft is after at least ten years and by then, no one cares. 

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Do you really think that Mahoes having an extra 0.5 seconds to release the ball will cause Robinson to figure out which way is up field?  😉

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do you really think that Mahoes having an extra 0.5 seconds to release the ball will cause Robinson to figure out which way is up field?  😉

Actually, I do.

(Hope springs eternal)

On 5/2/2021 at 3:49 PM, sith13 said:

The NFLPA is telling players to stay away from OTA's due to Covid (which makes no sense nowadays)

On 5/3/2021 at 12:57 AM, liquidfriend said:

It's something amusing to look back on in a few years.

See: 2017 grades

2017 NFL.com

Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks:Patrick Mahomes (No. 10 overall), Tanoh Kpassagnon (No. 59 overall), Kareem Hunt (No. 86 overall), Jehu Chesson (No. 139 overall), Ukeme Eligwe (No. 183 overall), Leon McQuay (No. 217 overall)
Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+
The skinny:Chiefs GM John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid saw Brett Favre in Green Bay, and they have to see some of that gunslinger attitude in Mahomes. There is a risk factor here given his penchant for throwing the ball anywhere and from any arm angle (which will turn into interceptions in the NFL), and they gave up a future first-round pick to get him. But if anyone can get Mahomes to adjust and succeed, it's Reid. Villanova doesn't put out a lot of top football players, but the Philadelphia crowd love seeing Tanoh Kpassagnon get picked. He's a very good five-technique with a lot of upside. The Chiefs got a starter in Kareem Hunt, an all-around player who can do it all. Patrick Mahomes has all of the tools to be a great quarterback.

The Chiefs continued to move up and down the board on Day 3. Jehu Chesson was inconsistent in his senior year, so I might have waited a bit to pick him given the other receivers available. They also gave up a fifth-round pick to pick him, which isn't a premium selection, but would have helped with depth. Kansas City didn't select a cornerback with some size, which would have helped this season.

25 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The NFLPA is telling players to stay away from OTA's due to Covid (which makes no sense nowadays)

IIRC isn't the Players Rep a O-lineman for the Browns? From what I can remember he'd like to all but remove Training Camp..sounds like a trouble maker  that I'd cut if he were on my team

43 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

2017 NFL.com

Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks:Patrick Mahomes (No. 10 overall), Tanoh Kpassagnon (No. 59 overall), Kareem Hunt (No. 86 overall), Jehu Chesson (No. 139 overall), Ukeme Eligwe (No. 183 overall), Leon McQuay (No. 217 overall)
Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+
The skinny:Chiefs GM John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid saw Brett Favre in Green Bay, and they have to see some of that gunslinger attitude in Mahomes. There is a risk factor here given his penchant for throwing the ball anywhere and from any arm angle (which will turn into interceptions in the NFL), and they gave up a future first-round pick to get him. But if anyone can get Mahomes to adjust and succeed, it's Reid. Villanova doesn't put out a lot of top football players, but the Philadelphia crowd love seeing Tanoh Kpassagnon get picked. He's a very good five-technique with a lot of upside. The Chiefs got a starter in Kareem Hunt, an all-around player who can do it all. Patrick Mahomes has all of the tools to be a great quarterback.

The Chiefs continued to move up and down the board on Day 3. Jehu Chesson was inconsistent in his senior year, so I might have waited a bit to pick him given the other receivers available. They also gave up a fifth-round pick to pick him, which isn't a premium selection, but would have helped with depth. Kansas City didn't select a cornerback with some size, which would have helped this season.

I love it. Kpass gets an A.  Mahomes and Hunt get a B and C. I think people grade drafts to justify how wrong their mock was. This year is seems everybody got As and Bs. Not much of a bell curve.

3 guys who aren't even on the roster get a C and Mahomes gets a B+ and that's primarily due to his attitude :D Kpass is obviously a steal as he got an A and Hunt is basically on the same wagon. You got to love the draft grades :D

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

I love it. Kpass gets an A.  Mahomes and Hunt get a B and C. I think people grade drafts to justify how wrong their mock was. This year is seems everybody got As and Bs. Not much of a bell curve.

I think the pundits went with a more positive approach this year.  Notice how you didn't get hardly any tragic traumatic stories this year.   Mostly positive commentary during picks.  Seemed like an intentional change.