Trey Smith blood clots

I am pulling for the kid.  Having lost someone to a thrombotic disorder,  I can attest to Bil’s concern.  But, I am sure Trey, his family, his doctors, and KC’s doctors all have the same concerns and have thoroughly vetted them.  There is risk in everything.  It is his right to take the chance.

11 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I am pulling for the kid.  Having lost someone to a thrombotic disorder,  I can attest to Bil’s concern.  But, I am sure Trey, his family, his doctors, and KC’s doctors all have the same concerns and have thoroughly vetted them.  There is risk in everything.  It is his right to take the chance.

Yep. We never really save lives but lives can be extended. He has every right to take a risk. We only live once.

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You really think so with money involved?  If so, I have some land in Fiji I'd like to sell you.   Sports physicians don't know shit about coagulation disorders.  It is not in their wheelhouse and not needed in their jobs. This kid has been to two major institutions, but the measurement of 70% reduced levels of things like Anti-thrombin III is extremely difficult and expensive.  And there are many other things besides that particular  blood factor that can do the same thing. Another episode, and he is a "one and done."  Not a good investment, even if he puts in a good year or two. 

i understand your concern in all of this and know you are way more experienced than i am so there is no reason to be condescending . i will simply refer you to Xen's post below

3 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

i understand your concern in all of this and know you are way more experienced than i am so there is no reason to be condescending . i will simply refer you to Xen's post below

2 hours ago, xen said:

Do not refer to this post.

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen on these tubes we call the interwebs.

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Condescending?  I didn't realize it sounded that way.  I apologize. Were you talking about the money comment and Fiji?  Just the usual internet banter I'm used to . I always appreciate your posts. I've learned a lot from you over the years.

7 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Condescending?  I didn't realize it sounded that way.  I apologize. Were you talking about the money comment and Fiji?  Just the usual internet banter I'm used to . I always appreciate your posts. I've learned a lot from you over the years.

Hopefully you learned not to refer to my posts.

tkMwfY.gif

8 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

i guess at the time i read your post i went down another path reading in between lines etc. guess you caught me off guard and i went into karen mode. sorry bil

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

i guess at the time i read your post i went down another path reading in between lines etc. guess you caught me off guard and i went into karen mode. sorry bil

No problem, KC.  I do that, too, Everyone does.

BTW, I have always wondered where the term "Karen mode" comes from.  Is that from a TV program? I've heard that expression for years, but I don't know.

13 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

No problem, KC.  I do that, too, Everyone does.

BTW, I have always wondered where the term "Karen mode" comes from.  Is that from a TV program? I've heard that expression for years, but I don't know.

I have not heard it for years but just recently. The only thing that means is I live under a rock  and yea I dont get it either

• 2 weeks later...

I see both side really and only agree with “it’s his life let him choose” a small amount.  I mean most NFL players would play and make theirs and their family’s life financially comfortable.  This is why teams/front office/medical staff have to take that choice out of his hands and do what’s best for him.  With that being said, if he is cleared to play and has had just 1 real episode AND has been playing for the past two years symptom free....then we just might of got the steal of the draft!  Found this below that says yes that 2nd issue was probably just scare tissue.

“After the season, however, he was diagnosed with blood clots in his lungs. Smith fought through that malady to return for the 2018 campaign but had to stop after seven starts at left tackle as doctors believed the clots had returned. However, additional study of those test results showed that doctors might have actually seen scar tissue from the previous clots. Smith worked hard in the offseason, losing 40 pounds, and he garnered 2019 first-team All-SEC honors after moving inside to left guard, where he started 12 of 13 games played. He was a first-team all-conference selection again in 2020, starting all 11 games at left guard for the Volunteers. He received the Jason Witten Award for leadership on the field and community service off the field, as well as the Fritz Pollard Trophy for extraordinary courage and community values. He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter”

image.thumb.jpeg.c943cf8289a4ec21a6501b2533d2210c.jpeg

He graded out with the highest RAS score of any guard in the draft!  Seen a lot of scouting reports showing 2nd and 3rd round grades WITH the blood clot concerns and easy 1st round talk if he didn’t have medical issues.  Lots of comparisons to Osemele and could easily be our RG of the future!

30 minutes ago, xen said:

Balto i think Osemele is not a bad comparison for Smith as far as play style.  Smith tested much better though.  Here's his athletic comps:

20210517_091631.jpg

pretty damn good list.

Lol yup that’s a great list.  I did read that as a freshman, pre clots, he was considered the #2 guard in nation behind only Quentin Nelson.  Guy really could be a steal

54 minutes ago, xen said:

Balto i think Osemele is not a bad comparison for Smith as far as play style.  Smith tested much better though.  Here's his athletic comps:

20210517_091631.jpg

pretty damn good list.

Looking at that list and the reports about him Smith is likely a star if his health issues don't become problematic. Obviously the doctors know the best but if he doesn't have a condition stopping him from playing I think we'll have a huge steal in our hands. 

Funny how Humphreys was an early second rounder that the Chiefs got at the end of the second because he showed weak at the senior bowl..  Niang was a potential first rounder that dropped to the late third due to injury.  Trey was a second rounder that dropped to the sixth because of medical issues.  Hill dropped because of off field issues.  Gay would have gone earlier except for personal issues.  Is Arrowhead becoming a rehab center? 

On the second episode, as Balto wrote, the doctors saw multiple foci of "scar tissue," which we have been told are probabably areas of the old clots.  Here is the problem with that: The doctors no doubt gave multiple explanations, that being one of them, but that explantion was chosen to be emphasised by his team and his agents, to maintain his hope for a great career.  It was not free of bias or agenda.  The truth is that a clot can form a "scar" if it never dissolves  (fibrinolysis) and turns into a tiny scar, but even then, it is abnormal, because clots normally dissolve (undergo "fibrinolysis"), so that would still be abnormal.  The other type of scar would be if the clots had actually caused dying of lung tissue (pulmonary "infarcts") that then healed by scarring, but that only happens with larger clots that obstruct a vessel big enough to cause that.  Either of those possiblities is a problem, either because the clots did not dissolve, or because they were big enough to cause pulmonary infarctions that healed with scar tissue.  Both are a risk and represent an abnormal condition that is as likely to happen again as not.  The fact that it happened at all, out of the blue, suggests that there is an inherited shift of balance toward clotting and away from bleeding.  A recurrence could happen at any time, more so with each passing year.  I also think that what we hear is what his family, career advisors, and team representatives want to believe or want us to believe or both.  There is a natural bias in all of these situations, and we can't take what we are told at face value, any more than saying an injured player is "day to day."

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Funny how Humphreys was an early second rounder that the Chiefs got at the end of the second because he showed weak at the senior bowl..  Niang was a potential first rounder that dropped to the late third due to injury.  Trey was a second rounder that dropped to the sixth because of medical issues.  Hill dropped because of off field issues.  Gay would have gone earlier except for personal issues.  Is Arrowhead becoming a rehab center? 

This is multiple times I've heard repeated that Creed looked bad at senior bowl practices.  Its not true so I wonder where people are getting that.  2nd day iirc he was having an initial issue anchoring against a big DT but its not like he was losing the reps he just had to recover, which he did.  Also had 1 bad snap in practice.  Had a terrific week and looked better as the week went on.

34 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Unfortunately not all players with question marks pan out. However Chiefs have been more willing to take such risks by doing that extra homework. Houston was a great pick, Hill was a steal, the jury is up for the rest but there's a decent chance to get solid players out of a few of them.

I would also add Foles to that list. Teams weren't willing to take the risk and his career looked all but over until Reid revived it in KC which led to a SB win. So in terms of the rehabilitation Chiefs may have a much better culture than others give credit for.