1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

I sure hope spags let him and gay do there thing. Nice to have a thumper. ! 

Agreed. Gay can be our cover guy and Bolton can be the enforcer. Although Gay knows how to blow plays up too in the backfield. Excited to see them build off each other.

I expect a red shirt season for Bolton much like we saw for Gay.  I think Gay was drafted for replace Wilson and was given a year to learn. Same with Hitch and Bolton I would expect. Some snaps in the middle, but no starts.

Andy seems to replace players a year in advance. There are exceptions with a monster like Sneed, but for the most part I don't see them waiting for a position to be open before they draft a rookie to put in as a starter. It is frustrating because we want to see the rooks, but it works. 

Now I bet the Center starts right away or at least by week 5, but not Bolton.

8 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I expect a red shirt season for Bolton much like we saw for Gay.  I think Gay was drafted for replace Wilson and was given a year to learn. Same with Hitch and Bolton I would expect. Some snaps in the middle, but no starts.

Andy seems to replace players a year in advance. There are exceptions with a monster like Sneed, but for the most part I don't see them waiting for a position to be open before they draft a rookie to put in as a starter. It is frustrating because we want to see the rooks, but it works. 

Now I bet the Center starts right away or at least by week 5, but not Bolton.

I think he plays week 1. Even if its just base defense.

You are right, I think he could see action in the few 3 LB sets we do, but I think he is intended to be the new Hitch in the 2 LB sets. If he sees a lot of snaps, we need to ask ourselves why Gay didn't last year.  Hope Gay steps up this year and we didn't draft our consecutive 2nd round LB because he doesn't have it between the ears.

50 minutes ago, DieHard said:

You are right, I think he could see action in the few 3 LB sets we do, but I think he is intended to be the new Hitch in the 2 LB sets. If he sees a lot of snaps, we need to ask ourselves why Gay didn't last year.  Hope Gay steps up this year and we didn't draft our consecutive 2nd round LB because he doesn't have it between the ears.

Gay didn't have much experience and Spags system is very complicated for the back 7.  Bolton has more experience and I think he does get snaps in base this year.  I doubt he plays much if at all on nickel unless something goes horribly wrong.  It will be very interesting to see how he is used.  

1 minute ago, xen said:

Gay didn't have much experience and Spags system is very complicated for the back 7.  Bolton has more experience and I think he does get snaps in base this year.  I doubt he plays much if at all on nickel unless something goes horribly wrong.  It will be very interesting to see how he is used.  

I hope you are right because I love how tenacious he is tackling. I hate to see our scrubs out there. 

This is what I know.. A solid middle linebacker, playing behind that massive wall of humanity we call defensive tackles... 

could have an absolute field day. I think we drafted this guy because we have CJ and Reed in place. What that does to the interior of the defense is huge. 

A safety led the team in tackles last year, and that is just wrong. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

I agree. Both Bolton and Gay will need to understand the playbook inside out before Newman is replaced. 

38 minutes ago, xen said:

Knowing the defense or not.  Gay out played Wilson and Neimann last year.  

Spaggs should have put him in more.  Especially over Neimann who did not contribute at all.  

A future LB core of...

WLB- Gay

MLB- Bolton

SLB- Harris

Isn't too bad. In fact I thought Harris looked ok in his start and opportunities.  And as the SLB who doesn't see the field as much is a nice fit. 

Just please no more Neimann.