48 minutes ago, Balto said:

Nah I'm with Moon on this one.  Veach has shown that he wants an above avg 2nd guy to take pressure off Hill/Kelce and up the probability that Reid's O doesn't have to many weakness.....Can't double three players(Hill, Kelce, Watkins).  I thought Watkins was way overpaid but Veach paid the man because our O was different when we had all three healthy Hill/Kelce/Watkins on the field at the same time.  This is why he overpaid Watkins....this is why he offered JuJu $10M......I think Veach really wants another above avg 2nd guy and is why I still think Julio Jones could still be in play for us.

100% agree with Moon and we don't want Mahomes to be the  next Aaron Rodgers that has all the talent in the world but his GM doesn't surround him with talent thinking a elite #1 in Hill is good enough.

I liked the Watkins signing from day one. We didn't get our money's worth no doubt but with a rookie QB coming in they got a player who would help him progress rather fast. That was a critical move IMO and rookie WRs seem to waste a lot of time getting up to speed in this offense, so basically a need. I like the pursuit of JuJu as well, would be better if they offered a long term deal to sweeten the pot. 

I think this offseason was focused on making sure that Mahomes doesn't become the next Luck, I expect the next one to focus on making sure he doesn't become the next Rodgers and the rest will probably a decent progression of line & receivers over time. 

7 hours ago, Balto said:

Nah I'm with Moon on this one.  Veach has shown that he wants an above avg 2nd guy to take pressure off Hill/Kelce and up the probability that Reid's O doesn't have to many weakness.....Can't double three players(Hill, Kelce, Watkins).  I thought Watkins was way overpaid but Veach paid the man because our O was different when we had all three healthy Hill/Kelce/Watkins on the field at the same time.  This is why he overpaid Watkins....this is why he offered JuJu $10M......I think Veach really wants another above avg 2nd guy and is why I still think Julio Jones could still be in play for us.

100% agree with Moon and we don't want Mahomes to be the  next Aaron Rodgers that has all the talent in the world but his GM doesn't surround him with talent thinking a elite #1 in Hill is good enough.

This was my entire point.  As much as I like Mahomes, I don't want to end up in a situation where we pay the offensive line and QB, and expect Mahomes to make a bunch of below average guys better, and if Robinson ends up being the #2 receiver, that's precisely what this year will be, and an injury to Hill or Kelce would be devastating, unless we have some unknown make a giant leap forward, or as iluvhouse said, Powell turns into something quickly.  

Unfortunately, we can't have studs at every position. I'm not against signing another guy but to say we need Julio Jones or another All-Pro at WR #2 is ridiculous. Anyone who has played FFL with a salary cap knows there's a pool of money and we can't sign every high priced guy out there. The OL was the priority, and it should have been. We have improved the OL immensely, the TE room measurably and the RB's are probably a wash. We had arguably the best offense last year and Watkins played a half dozen games? We'll be fine. If you were arguing that we need to use more resources on the defensive side, I could be more on board with the argument. 

1 hour ago, Dan4pres said:

Unfortunately, we can't have studs at every position. I'm not against signing another guy but to say we need Julio Jones or another All-Pro at WR #2 is ridiculous. Anyone who has played FFL with a salary cap knows there's a pool of money and we can't sign every high priced guy out there. The OL was the priority, and it should have been. We have improved the OL immensely, the TE room measurably and the RB's are probably a wash. We had arguably the best offense last year and Watkins played a half dozen games? We'll be fine. If you were arguing that we need to use more resources on the defensive side, I could be more on board with the argument. 

YEP. CEH should be a weapon out of the backfield.

It definitely is a balance game between protection and weapons.   Go to far on either side and bad things happen.   I think we've balanced it out perfectly.  Brown is gonna want 20 million next year but next year our total Oline salary is going to be ~$40.    2018 - $34.4 million, 2019 - $26.5 million, & 2020 - $36.2 million.   In line with the past couple years and has the potential to be a lot better.   The glaring issue on this offense is developing a #2.  Maybe Powell, Hardman, or Pringle can be that but I'm honestly not gonna hold my breath.  I think next year's needs are DE, DB, and WR.    

This Oline has the potential to be nasty this year and get better in 2022.  We also should have this oline for the next 4 years.   About the time to pay Creed, Smith, Niang we can get out of Thuney and move some of that money around.   Veach just extended our window by 4 years.   Even with the need for a #2 WR we did just fine with a terrible Oline and no #2 for most of the year.  We've added Gray & Powell and the others guys have another year to develop.  Throw in a couple flyers in Callaway and Sharpe and we should be a decent bit better than last year.   

We are going to be scary this year boys!   People thought we were last year.......watch Mahomes behind a dominant line!!!

If the O-line gels quickly, a big if, this could be the best offense we've seen in KC.  Having confidence on converting third/fourth short yardage downs.  Having an extra half second to find that third option.  Having the ability to use more screens and passes to CEH.  Giving more time for Pringle or Powell to get open.  Maybe the light comes on for Hardman.  There's no guarantees in the NFL, but the potential is exciting and Andy will figure out an offense that's more than Hill, Kelce, and a scrambling Mahomes.  Can't wait for TC.  

On 5/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, jetlord said:

If the O-line gels quickly, a big if, this could be the best offense we've seen in KC.  Having confidence on converting third/fourth short yardage downs.  Having an extra half second to find that third option.  Having the ability to use more screens and passes to CEH.  Giving more time for Pringle or Powell to get open.  Maybe the light comes on for Hardman.  There's no guarantees in the NFL, but the potential is exciting and Andy will figure out an offense that's more than Hill, Kelce, and a scrambling Mahomes.  Can't wait for TC.  

All good points. Im hoping Andy just stops the trick plays , gets Patrick to check down and play some small ball. I have not see Mahomes play that check down game often or effective with his short passes.

Just now, AFCWEST said:

All good points. Im hoping Andy just stops the trick plays , gets Patrick to check down and play some small ball. I have not see Mahomes play that check down game often or effective with his short passes.

He really has to.  But he will always be Mahomes and shouldn't be made into something he is not.  He likes to chuck that thing downfield.  We can never ask him to be another Alex Smith.  He has to make his shots, especially with the improved O-line.  Just need a tweak in the balance.

2 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He really has to.  But he will always be Mahomes and shouldn't be made into something he is not.  He likes to chuck that thing downfield.  We can never ask him to be another Alex Smith.  He has to make his shots, especially with the improved O-line.  Just need a tweak in the balance.

Agree. But: Andy calls the plays and can force it a little. When Mahomes gets the short game down , CEH more invploved, he will be in control like THE HATED BRADY. 

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Obviously not as much as Smith era but I think we have seen quite a bit of those check downs in 2020. Mahomes will always take the risks and Reid will call the trick plays but in general I think Chiefs were much more conservative as opposed to the previous 2 seasons with Mahomes.