Chiefs traded for CB Mike Hughes. Chiefs and Vikings swapped late-round draft picks, with Kansas City also getting back Minnesota’s 2018 first-round pick, per source.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fschefter_adam.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer6m ago

On April 26, 2018, the Minnesota Vikings selected Hughes in the first round, 30th overall, of the 2018 NFL Draft.[19] Hughes signed a four-year contract with the Vikings on July 19, 2018,[20][21][22][23] with St. Paul Pioneer Press writer Chris Tomasson reporting that Hughes had signed a $9.87 million deal with a signing bonus of $5.256 million.[21][22][23] In his NFL debut, he recorded a 28-yard interception return for a touchdown[24] in the Vikings' 24–16 season-opening win over the San Francisco 49ers.[25] On October 14, 2018, in a Week 6 game against the Arizona Cardinals, Hughes suffered a torn ACL, prematurely ending his rookie season

2019[edit]

Hughes entered the season as the fourth cornerback on the Vikings depth chart. In week 9 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Hughes forced a fumble on rookie wide receiver Mecole Hardman on a kickoff return and the ball was recovered by teammate Holton Hill in the 26–23 loss.[28] He was placed on injured reserve on January 3, 2020 with a neck injury.[29] He finished the season with 45 tackles, nine passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and an interception through 14 games and three starts.

2020[edit]

Hughes entered the season as the Vikings top cornerback. He was placed on injured reserve on October 30, 2020.[30]

2021[edit]

The Vikings declined to exercise the fifth year option on Hughes' contract on May 3, 2021, making him an unrestricted free agent following the 2021 season.[31]

The Vikings traded Hughes to the Kansas City Chiefs for the Chiefs 2022 sixth-round pick and their 2022 seventh-round pick. [32]

2 minutes ago, Balto said:

Sooo:

Rookie year, tore his ACL

2nd year, Went on IR with Neck injury

3rd year, Went on IR again

Looks like he has shown talent but cant stay healthy 

Well give him a chance here and if he does well, extend him cheaply. No harm getting a player and going down a few spots to the 7th round.

Report: Chiefs traded for cornerback Mike Hughes

The 24-year-old cornerback is on the final year of his rookie contract.

By Pete Sweeney  May 13, 2021, 4:00pm CDT  

NFL: Arizona Cardinals at Minnesota VikingsJeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports

The Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a trade with the Minnesota Vikings for cornerback Mike Hughes, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer was first with the details on the swap — with the Chiefs getting Hughes and the Vikings’ 2022 seventh-rounder in exchange for their 2022 sixth-round pick.

Hughes, 24, first entered the NFL as the 30th overall pick made by the Vikings in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. As a member of the Vikings over the past three seasons, Hughes appeared in 24 games with seven starts. Hughes tore his ACL after six games his rookie season and his season ended in Week 17 of 2019 due to a cracked vertebra. Hughes only played four games in 2020 before a neck injury landed him on injured reserve, though the Vikings have said that the 2019 and 2020 injuries were unrelated.

In March, Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Hughes is fully healthy, though the Vikings declined to exercise his fifth-year option in early May. The Vikings added three-time first-team All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson this offseason.

Hughes has played on both the inside and outside, and he may compete for both with the Chiefs. Kansas City has wanted to potentially move second-year cornerback L’Jarius Sneed primarily to the outside, so Hughes locking up the nickel role would allow them to do that. Hughes has also participated in all four special teams units.

20 minutes ago, xen said:

Really liked him coming out of college.  Low risk.  I like it.

What I was thinking. Low risk. Veach is always looking at those high round picks who need new scenery ...whether it's injury, change of coaches ...whatever. I just hope the kid can stay healthy.

Just now, dhitter said:

What I was thinking. Low risk. Veach is always looking at those high round picks who need new scenery ...whether it's injury, change of coaches ...whatever. I just hope the kid can stay healthy.

Thats now 2 recent first round corners (1 from 2018 draft and 1 from 2019 draft) that fit our system, both added since last Nov 2020.  Total cost = 1 6th round pick and got back a 7th.  

Further evidence that Veach is a goddamn Sorcerer.

PER AP

In general, his movement skills could be better; he won’t be the cornerback that’s glued to a receiver step for step throughout the entire route. He’s not as comfortable in off-ball coverage; he would much rather line up in press and use his physicality to initially re-direct the receiver.

Fortunately, the Chiefs like to put their cornerbacks in press techniques for that exact reason.

The bottom line

Hughes absolutely fits what the Chiefs have typically wanted in their cornerbacks, and he should immediately be competing for one of the three starting positions in nickel formations. He’s played most of his career on the boundary, but he also has plenty of slot experience.

As long as he is healthy — which has not been the case for most of his three-year NFL career — Hughes should raise the overall performance of the Chiefs’ secondary. He enters the final year of his rookie contract, meaning he’ll have every reason to be motivated to play the best football of his life.

I see him as a slot corner only and not really better than Fenton or Sneed.  His injury history indicates that he can't be relied on for a regular role.  Still, at the cost, he's worth a shot.  Still need to find a player to replace Breeland or resign him. 

53 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I see him as a slot corner only and not really better than Fenton or Sneed.  His injury history indicates that he can't be relied on for a regular role.  Still, at the cost, he's worth a shot.  Still need to find a player to replace Breeland or resign him. 

I agree with him not being better than Sneed. If healthy he may be an upgrade to Fenton. We need a slot corner badly so Sneed can kick outside, and this could be a potential answer there. I like it.