3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I agree with him not being better than Sneed. If healthy he may be an upgrade to Fenton. We need a slot corner badly so Sneed can kick outside, and this could be a potential answer there. I like it.

Am I the only one who likes Fenton especially in the slot. I do agree we needed more depth especially if Baker is not healthy. 

15 hours ago, xen said:

Thats now 2 recent first round corners (1 from 2018 draft and 1 from 2019 draft) that fit our system, both added since last Nov 2020.  Total cost = 1 6th round pick and got back a 7th.  

Further evidence that Veach is a goddamn Sorcerer.

Both picked 1.30th.....spooky stuff going on!

2 minutes ago, Balto said:

#1 picks who didn't work out aren't always a gold mine.  The Chiefs certainly have had enough that were worth less than a sixth round pick.  Hughes is 5; 10' and not very fast.  He's made some good plays and failed on some.  The big thing is that he can't stay healthy.  I think it's a good pick up, but probably not the answer to the shortage of above average players in the DB room. 

17 hours ago, xen said:

I found this pretty interesting xen.  Top 4 spots are bad value picks in the first round according to their position (LB, S, OG, C).   Which leads me to believe that guys getting picks from those 4 positions in the first mean there is a clear difference in their play and warrants the positional reach.    

QB did surprise me a little with just 5% making an all pro but I'm curious if you lowered the standard from All-Pro to at least one or two Pro Bowls what would the percentage be and then figure in all qb's drafted outside the first round.  Not sure what the results would be but I would imagine you'd have better luck drafting one early than waiting....but maybe I'm way off.

30 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I wouldn’t relate it to Breeland. It’s a swing on a high upside player for a nickel in cost. I would still pursue Breeland if it is a reasonable contract. Like any group, two injuries and that group looks bad. 

The longer the offseason lingers the cheaper Breeland will be unless he waits for an injury during the early part of the season....that's always risky though.   I wouldn't mind bringing him back.   Sneed, Ward, Baker, Fenton, Breeland, and Hughes vs Keyes.   I imagine Veach is happy with Sneed, Ward, Baker, Fenton, Hughes, & Keyes.   With a secondary coaching staff like ours I would be happy with those guys too.   

Better to resign Breeland and bench Ward.  Breeland didn't really light it up last season, but Ward hasn't improved since his rookie year.  Breeland is probably tired on one year "prove it" deals, but he's been his own worst enemy with his off field issues.  Are the Chiefs waiting for the price to go down or is Breeland waiting in hopes of a multi-year deal?  Who knows, but he will play somewhere this fall and if the Chiefs can get him for around $3 million, it would be worth it.  Keyes is a complete unknown, Hughes has an injury history,  Baker may need more time to heal, and Ward has regressed.  Lot of room to upgrade.

The primary issue that I see with Breeland is the risk of long term investment due to the off-field stuff. However he always makes a lot of sense to sign these 1-year deals. I'm sure he didn't want to sign a short term deal without knowing which team needs what but since the draft is over I think Veach should be in touch with him right now. 

I liked Ward in his first season but he definitely regressed last year, I would love him to bounce back and become a shutdown corner for the future but I wouldn't trust him unless he proves otherwise. Definitely a solid backup option though. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

The primary issue that I see with Breeland is the risk of long term investment due to the off-field stuff. However he always makes a lot of sense to sign these 1-year deals. I'm sure he didn't want to sign a short term deal without knowing which team needs what but since the draft is over I think Veach should be in touch with him right now. 

I liked Ward in his first season but he definitely regressed last year, I would love him to bounce back and become a shutdown corner for the future but I wouldn't trust him unless he proves otherwise. Definitely a solid backup option though. 

It's unlikely that Ward bounces back.  He played well for an UDFA his first year and was used because Agalor and Scandrick were useless.  The next year he maybe held his play even with his rookie year at best.  He certainly didn't progress like one would expect from a second year player.  Last season, he regressed.  This is his last season with the Chiefs, IMHO, and CB will be a top priority next off season unless Baker proves his potential.  If Hughes or Baker show first round ability and can stay healthy, a big problem is solved.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's unlikely that Ward bounces back.  He played well for an UDFA his first year and was used because Agalor and Scandrick were useless.  The next year he maybe held his play even with his rookie year at best.  He certainly didn't progress like one would expect from a second year player.  Last season, he regressed.  This is his last season with the Chiefs, IMHO, and CB will be a top priority next off season unless Baker proves his potential.  If Hughes or Baker show first round ability and can stay healthy, a big problem is solved.  

I don't really have high expectations from him either, if he can bounce back that's great but as things currently stand he's definitely not the answer for 2021 or beyond. 

6 hours ago, Balto said:

Anyone unhappy about giving up the 31st for Orlando should remember it’s mostly busts in the first round. These and Cam Erving (19th) are testaments to that. 

57 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Anyone unhappy about giving up the 31st for Orlando should remember it’s mostly busts in the first round. These and Cam Erving (19th) are testaments to that. 

Mostly busts?  Could you be referring to such stellar picks for the trenches as Ryan Sims, Tyson Jackson, Trezelle Jenkins, Victor Baily,  .............  ??  Not a great history of picking offensive or defensive linemen.  

59 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yeah and according to the data xen provided, only 50% of players make it to All-Pro at the positions most successful coming out of the draft. It slowly declines in percentage-wise the for the least successful positions. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Mostly busts?  Could you be referring to such stellar picks for the trenches as Ryan Sims, Tyson Jackson, Trezelle Jenkins, Victor Baily,  .............  ??  Not a great history of picking offensive or defensive linemen.  

I meant in general most first rounders seem to be a disappointment. Getting a 24 yo the made the pro bowl at RT and LT is the way to go. I do remember what seemed like one disappointing DT every year for a while. 

17 hours ago, sith13 said:

I don't really have high expectations from him either, if he can bounce back that's great but as things currently stand he's definitely not the answer for 2021 or beyond. 

Lack of a real pass rush hurt the secondary. I dont see any great improvement this year in pass rushing. Maybe more Blitz with linebackers? Clark has shown he is not an elite talent and I have no reason to think that will change. Bend dont break and let the offense dominate.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:47 PM, Troyofoc said:

Am I the only one who likes Fenton especially in the slot. I do agree we needed more depth especially if Baker is not healthy. 

No I like his game. Especially given his draft slot. I dont consider him a liability at all. I just think of him more as a depth guy, and the way we handled personnel last year tells me the Chiefs may agree.